Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading / watching online many people change their external/inline ATF filter, I plan to do it on my 2002 Odyssey too. However, I spent 5 minutes with the hood open and a flash light, and still could not find the filter. Does every 2002 Odyssey come with this filter?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Did you remove any parts? Guessing no, since you only mention a flashlight as a tool. It's buried.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where ... may I ask? Thanks (y)
I tried to take a picture with my phone, but it did not come out useful. Looking down between the brake fluid reservoir and the air duct, you will see it. First find the 12mm bolt that holds down the ATF refill plug (22:18 in the video attached by @spiritof76 above), the filter is on the right side below the ABS controller. Hard to see though.

I am not sure if one has to remove the battery and battery tray to change the filter. It looks doable by removing the air duct, the ABS controller plug, and maybe a few other wires. But I have not tried it yet.

Please let us know how it goes if you decide to change it.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I am not sure if one has to remove the battery and battery tray to change the filter.
The battery for sure.

50/50 on the battery tray. I didn't remove it, but many others did.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery for sure.

50/50 on the battery tray. I didn't remove it, but many others did.
Thanks for letting us know that it can be done without removing the battery tray, Dave. Removing the battery is not bad, but removing the battery tray looks like a real pain, according to the video.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't remember removing the battery tray when I changed mine, which was 12 years and 140k miles from when I purchased it new. When I cut open the old filter, I was pleased to find that there was not much gunk in the filter media.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't remember removing the battery tray when I changed mine, which was 12 years and 140k miles from when I purchased it new. When I cut open the old filter, I was pleased to find that there was not much gunk in the filter media.
@spiritof76 Good to know. My Ody's ATF filter might be OK (almost 19 yrs and 146k+ miles). You must at least removed the battery, according to @davedrivesody.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
When I cut open the old filter, I was pleased to find that there was not much gunk in the filter media.
Same here.

No regrets at all about changing it though. Better to know it has good news rather than wondering if it has bad news.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks so much, everyone for all the info.
A lot to absorb.
The comments, and especially the video -which I bookmarked for later- are going to help for sure.
I'll post how it goes when I do the job.
Thanks again. 👍

1 - 14 of 14 Posts