Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the addition of our 3rd child, we are needing to upgrade to an Odyssey. Currently getting by in a couple Honda CR-Vs, but not sure we'll be able to make those work once our infant moves into a larger car seat. We were going to try waiting out the crazy used car market, but analysts don't see it ending any time soon, so I guess we have to bite the bullet.

I have a search saved on Autotrader. When I look nationwide for 2015-2017 Odysseys, there are 96 total vehicles which fit my search criteria. If I look only at 2018 models, there are 298. So, 96 total vehicles for the years 2015-2017 combined and nearly 300 just for 2018. Are there so many more 2018 models because the 2018 model sucks and owners are dumping them? Or is it likely people just cashing in on the prices dealers are willing to pay for used vehicles right now. Are the pre-2018 models more reliable, so people are more inclined to hold to them?

TIA

·
Registered
5 Posts
After the addition of our 3rd child, we are needing to upgrade to an Odyssey. Currently getting by in a couple Honda CR-Vs, but not sure we'll be able to make those work once our infant moves into a larger car seat. We were going to try waiting out the crazy used car market, but analysts don't see it ending any time soon, so I guess we have to bite the bullet.

I have a search saved on Autotrader. When I look nationwide for 2015-2017 Odysseys, there are 96 total vehicles which fit my search criteria. If I look only at 2018 models, there are 298. So, 96 total vehicles for the years 2015-2017 combined and nearly 300 just for 2018. Are there so many more 2018 models because the 2018 model sucks and owners are dumping them? Or is it likely people just cashing in on the prices dealers are willing to pay for used vehicles right now. Are the pre-2018 models more reliable, so people are more inclined to hold to them?

TIA
2017 Odyssey has fewer complaints than 2018 (New Model Year).
2018 Odyssey has fewer complaints than 2014 & 2015 model years, about same for 2016.
We purchased 2019 Odyssey Elite (10 speed transmission), put on 10,000 miles, no issues, like smooth 10 speed.
I had read dissatisfaction with the 9 speed transmission on lower trim levels, jerky shifts at 20-45 mph.
I believe the 2018 model change is where the second row can slide sideways. We use this feature every day.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2017 Odyssey has fewer complaints than 2018 (New Model Year).
2018 Odyssey has fewer complaints than 2014 & 2015 model years, about same for 2016.
We purchased 2019 Odyssey Elite (10 speed transmission), put on 10,000 miles, no issues, like smooth 10 speed.
I had read dissatisfaction with the 9 speed transmission on lower trim levels, jerky shifts at 20-45 mph.
I believe the 2018 model change is where the second row can slide sideways. We use this feature every day.
Good luck with your search.
Thanks. And, yes, the magic slide feature is a very attractive option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aside from recalls, my 2018 has been rock solid. Zero issues at 57000 miles. I am, however getting very aggravated at the gas mileage. I'm only getting about 16 in the city now down from 19-20 earlier on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aside from recalls, my 2018 has been rock solid. Zero issues at 57000 miles. I am, however getting very aggravated at the gas mileage. I'm only getting about 16 in the city now down from 19-20 earlier on.
Is the gas mileage issue fairly common?

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
276 Posts
If I look only at 2018 models
All the transmission comments are fairly blow up in the forums.

I have a thread explaining how the two work. You can see it for your self... on #failures and etc there.

I have a 9 Speed, had no issues. I have other complaints that are more annoying to me than the transmission.

Best of luck.

Reactions: jmg32

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,902 Posts
Yes, the 8th gen models have some known issues... electronics bugs, transmission complaints, fuel injectors, etc.

But, that's probably not the reason for the high number of 8th gens for sale. With any car, there are always a lot of ~3 year old used units on the market. I've always attributed it to the high number of lease returns, used rental units, commercial companies not keeping fleet vehicles past a certain number of years, etc.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
2017 will naturally have fewer complaints. Last year of the generation vs first year of a new generation.

I would try and look for a 2019 or newer to avoid that.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What kind of prices are you seeing for used 2018+ Odysseys? I was recently at the dealership, and they had a bunch of 2018+ Odysseys. The used price (same trim, same model year) was almost identical to the price I paid for my vehicle new. Keep in mind that I purchased the van shortly after the new model came out, and there wasn't much negotiating at that time ($3000 off list if I remember correctly).

You may want to consider purchasing a new van at list price, versus a used van at nearly list price.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
@jmg32 I have a 2018 Elite, The second reason I bought this ODY was it is reliable. I have not had the engine not start, but the two areas I had problems at is the sliding doors, not opening and closing as originally did new. There was a recall on the ODY's and they replaced 2 cpu cards for each door and it was no longer hanging-up. It still was not back to its speed when new but, I replaced the battery with a Optima Yellow Top H6 AGM battery as people were having problems with a lot of electronics not working right. This fixed the sliding doors problems for me. The second problem was the center display come up with 3 faults, but would reset over night. Actually the problems it showed... was working even thought the ODY said they wasn't. It happened 4 times, and every time was a a hands free car wash (good high pressure), never any other time but generally speaking in less than 2 hours this would come up. The ride of the ODY is smooth and due to it having Electric steering you do not get fatigued as you would with a vehicle with just powers steering - hydraulic. There is no play in the steering! The Elite has a good noise free system that cancels out mos of the road noise and sound defining glass. I will say I am not wild about the placement of the spare tire inside the ODY. A lot of people have problems with the Rear Entertainment Systems not working right including the main head set, which mostly was corrected by Honda by some Farka connectors being replaced. Others had problems with the cell phones apps not working on the ODY, I bought the Elite due to it having items like GPS in it, and do not use any apps on my cell phone. It took me a while to understand how the GPS was controlled, definitely a learning curve. For children you will enjoy the middle row magic slide seats. If you plan on hauling anything that is 8' long, the middle row seats are very heavy to take out. Some people had water leaks into the rear storage area, generally some where Honda did not seal a seam or missed putting a plug in. I would say to leave your rear seats up, as the water got in and saturated the seats by being contained by this compartment. Eventually these people smelled the mold/bacteria in the water and seats.

Their are 4 levels of this ODY, Elite being the best. If at all possible get the Elite, and you won't have to try and retrofit many components that are standard on the Elite!
IMHO, I am attaching a comparison chart of the 2018-2019 ODY model for you to see.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
@jiantao Your are stating that the 2018 ODY is a 8th Gen... It is a Gen 5 vehicle in the ODY line-up.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2017 will naturally have fewer complaints. Last year of the generation vs first year of a new generation.

I would try and look for a 2019 or newer to avoid that.
That makes sense.

2019 is gonna be out of our price range though. Might need to back up and look at the 2017s.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What kind of prices are you seeing for used 2018+ Odysseys? I was recently at the dealership, and they had a bunch of 2018+ Odysseys. The used price (same trim, same model year) was almost identical to the price I paid for my vehicle new. Keep in mind that I purchased the van shortly after the new model came out, and there wasn't much negotiating at that time ($3000 off list if I remember correctly).

You may want to consider purchasing a new van at list price, versus a used van at nearly list price.
Anything decent starting in the low 30s. Had been looking at a '18 EX, 29K miles for $31,750. That's probably the maximum upper limit of what I would want to pay, maybe even a tad high, but if we plan to drive the thing for a decade or more, then it's probably justifiable.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,262 Posts
As fuego mentioned, forums are where you find all the horror stories. Relative to the number sold, the 2018 is likely a success story for Honda. Their warranty claims on first issue are probably on par with the other car makers. I have a 2018 EX and despite the terrible build quality from the Alabama plant, a 9-speed transmission that I can't get used to no matter what, the removal of common sense Japanese design features, terrible gas mileage despite all the "modern tech," and an over-taxed electrical system that requires a new battery every three years, my 2018 has also been reliable.

Have you looked into other products?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As fuego mentioned, forums are where you find all the horror stories. Relative to the number sold, the 2018 is likely a success story for Honda. Their warranty claims on first issue are probably on par with the other car makers. I have a 2018 EX and despite the terrible build quality from the Alabama plant, a 9-speed transmission that I can't get used to no matter what, the removal of common sense Japanese design features, terrible gas mileage despite all the "modern tech," and an over-taxed electrical system that requires a new battery every three years, my 2018 has also been reliable.

Have you looked into other products?
Early on when I first started looking at minivans I looked at the Sienna and Pacifica as well. Most of my thought process has centered on functionality with car seats. Based on all I have read (relying heavily on thecarseatlady.com which provides extensive vehicle reviews related to their use with car seats), the Odyssey stands out from the pack when it comes to car seat functionality. Aside from that, we have owned 3 CRV's and currently own two, of which one just passed 200,000 miles and the other over 100,000 miles, so I feel pretty comfortable with Honda. But, of course, it's possible the Odyssey is an inferior product compared to the CRV.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,262 Posts
Hi jmg32,

You're 100% correct about the car seat stuff. The Magic Slide seat and robust build of the rear seats is far superior to any other van out there. The other accolade that Honda has kept is their safety record.

I tend to be a bit biased. I owned a 2002 EX for 16 years. It had all the common sense stuff that the Japanese had incorporated into their cars of the day but much of that "stuff" was stripped away in the years that followed.

In general, Honda is still good product. It used to be much better in most ways. Too bad they've let things slip. I suppose all the car makers are guilty in that area 🙃.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,902 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
Might need to back up and look at the 2017s.
Not a bad idea. The 4th gens have far less of the new problematic tech and they're still well built vehicles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts