Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 2017 odyssey a couple months ago and the previous owners had dogs. We knew right away from the smell. We figured we could work through getting the smell out, two months later and we are still trying...
We have shampooed every inch multiple times and wiped everything down. We’ve cleaned the vents with special cleaning spray. Overall it is significantly better except now we smell it when our air system is running WITHOUT A/C pretty badly. When we turn the A/C on, the smell goes away. We also found, as we were drying the carpets from a 4th cleaning, that as the box fans were running in the van (van turned off) we could smell the urine/dog smell. We are thinking of trying to get into the rear vent air return to see if any of the smell is being housed there...any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Have you pulled up the carpet in the rear? (haven't done it on my 16 yet, but on our 05 when I did the fuel filter, the carpet is multiple pieces, so it's easy for liquids to get under the carpet (there were also vents on the floor, where i imagine liquids could get in and slosh around)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Looking at a parts diagram, the rear carpet does lift, and there is a duct chamber on the floor - I'd lift the rear carpet and clean whatever looks gross, and pull the rear floor duct and clean that out (msrp is only $60, so you might consider just replacing the lower vent if it looks to be a pain to clean)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you pulled up the carpet in the rear? (haven't done it on my 16 yet, but on our 05 when I did the fuel filter, the carpet is multiple pieces, so it's easy for liquids to get under the carpet (there were also vents on the floor, where i imagine liquids could get in and slosh around)
We did completely lift up carpet and shampooed and cleaned underneath as well. We’ve sprayed the floor vent with the vent cleaner but that’s all with the vent at this point. Not sure what else or how else to clean that floor vent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at a parts diagram, the rear carpet does lift, and there is a duct chamber on the floor - I'd lift the rear carpet and clean whatever looks gross, and pull the rear floor duct and clean that out (msrp is only $60, so you might consider just replacing the lower vent if it looks to be a pain to clean)
We are looking into that as well as the rear air return vent. We were thinking that may be the location of the smells, but not 100% sure. But this will probably be our next step. Thanks for your help/suggestions!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
had the same dog smell in mine.

get a can of this or equivalent, and spray it into the drain hose under the vehicle, use the entire can, let it sit then remove the hose and let it drain.

View attachment 161159

View attachment 161158
Thanks! We weren’t sure if it was in the evaporator since it doesn’t smell when the a/c is turned on and we can smell if when the van is turned off, but if cleaning/changing the rear vents don’t work, this could definitely be the problem. Thanks for the suggestion!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you changed the cabin air filter like @davensd suggested?

Also, you might consider using an OZONE machine?

Set one to run all night in your car with the doors closed. That should do it. Leave it outside, locked and DO NOT sit inside when you do it, ozone is toxic.

Good luck.
We did change the cabin filter. Thanks for suggesting the ozone idea, we will look into that!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Have you changed the cabin air filter like @davensd suggested?

Also, you might consider using an OZONE machine?

Set one to run all night in your car with the doors closed. That should do it. Leave it outside, locked and DO NOT sit inside when you do it, ozone is toxic.

Good luck.
that is an excellent suggestion, as most odours are bacterial or fungal.
I have seen ozone used for flood damaged vehicles to get rid of the funk.
The issue here being how will it penetrate the ventilation system without some air flow, or the blower motor running.

The evaporator foaming method is done by the dealers, when customers report smells from the ventilation system.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >128k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
855 Posts
We also found, as we were drying the carpets from a 4th cleaning, that as the box fans were running in the van (van turned off) we could smell the urine/dog smell.
I assume you had the carpets out for this cleaning? If not it might be worth removing one or more sections and then repeating the cleaning/fan drying process to determine which one(s) smell. Also, when you have the seats out you may discover that pee soaked into one or more of them. Depending on which vents are active with the air system, the flow may be directed across a pee-soaked seat. On that note, have you determined whether the smell is always there regardless of the vent settings (floor, panel, etc)?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
that is an excellent suggestion, as most odours are bacterial or fungal.
I have seen ozone used for flood damaged vehicles to get rid of the funk.
The issue here being how will it penetrate the ventilation system without some air flow, or the blower motor running.

The evaporator foaming method is done by the dealers, when customers report smells from the ventilation system.
Would this help with humidity smell coming from the ac?...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Would this help with humidity smell coming from the ac?...
ozone or foam cleaner?
either are worth the gamble if you're trying to chase down an odour.

I had a wet dog smell in mine that was solved by the foam evap cleaner.

dog pee, for which I have never smelled is a new one.
cat pee on the other hand, I have smelled!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Before you pull carpets nothing beats getting your nose directly on the carpet and smelling every inch to detect where the odor is coming from. Since you already cleaned the carpets, my guess is the cooling system evaporator like others suggested. In some vehicles, those have a way of growing funk and smelling up the whole cabin. Search YouTube for examples of how to apply what 2011.2017 Ody shows in his post.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,134 Posts
Our van had some old BBQ sauce (or something like that) under the second row seat mount loops (bought used). I ended up pulling the plastic covers and carpet up to clean it fully. At least there was no funky smells other than that. The front center console can also easily be removed (little handle on the front bottom) to check for issues in/around that area.

-Charlie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts