Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am puzzled with this one folks. I am also grateful for any help you can give.

The dome light in the 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L is not working. Sounds simple enough but it is ONLY the two lights between the driver and passenger seat. All other lights in the middle and rear rows work great.

The driver side went out first and a few months later the passenger side went out. I thought it must have been just a bulb replacement. I just did that and neither one is working. The old light bulbs look fine as well.

It seems unreasonable to be a fuse issue because all other dome lights still work. It is also puzzling that the old bulbs are fine.

Thank you for any tips you have.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,173 Posts
It's possible for the switches to wear out or break. I seem to recall reading about something like this quite a while ago. I'll see if I can can find the thread I'm thinking of.

At any rate, I seem to think there was a happy ending to the story - the switches were replaceable.

Reactions: IndianaFamily

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,173 Posts
It's possible for the switches to wear out or break. I seem to recall reading about something like this quite a while ago. I'll see if I can can find the thread I'm thinking of.

At any rate, I seem to think there was a happy ending to the story - the switches were replaceable.
Found it. This is for a gen 3 Odyssey, but I doubt the map lights would be all that different. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I only have limited information to offer.

Same thing happened on my 2012 EX-L. But only on the driver side.

The dome light assembly comes out, with the switch. It is made mostly of clear plastic with some metal veins to act as electricity conductors. I just took it out and seeing nothing obviously wrong with it I applied some pressure to the entire assembly (by hand). Perhaps that distorted the plastic enough to reestablish some poor contact. I put it back and it worked. ... for a year... then stopped again... so I just left it like that for now.

To remove the light assembly it is similar to the photos shown on the post referred to by CroMath:

Remove the lenses using a screwdriver (careful not to break them though)

Removing the lenses exposes two screws. Remove them and the light assembly should come off.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,211 Posts
Removing the lenses exposes two screws. Remove them and the light assembly should come off.
There are also two screws behind the sunglasses holder / rear passenger mirror. Open it to see those screws.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,211 Posts
Start by looking up the exact OEM part number you are looking for:

It may not be exactly obvious (there are a number of sub assemblies to the dome light) - so search google with the part number you think it is to verify (image search). That same search will also lead you to a number of online vendors that will have it. Also check the online parts department of your local dealer - you may get lucky and have a local dealer that has good online prices and you can save the shipping cost/time by picking it up.

-Charlie

PS. The lenses are <$2 each, so throw those on your order too, just in case you break them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts