Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we are now members of the club. We picked up our '01 SS EX w/Nav tonight. My wife loves it - I haven't driven it yet (maybe she'll let me drive to church tomorrow). Anyway, we paid MSRP, but we weren't forced to buy other dealer stuff like most of the dealerships around here. We plan to order the IVES, cargo tray, subwoofer, and probably a few more goodies from HandA next week. I will also probably order some replacement speakers - now I see what everyone means. You can barely hear the rear speakers!

The deal went very smoothly. We actually ordered a van 2 weeks ago from another dealer. This dealer called us a week ago and said they had one available in 2 weeks. We told them we wanted it, and it actually came in 4 days later!

We were also pleasantly surprised with what happened in the finance office. We had already secured a loan from ELoan and PeopleFirst. We were going to use ELoan, which had the best terms (6.89% for 60 months). Well, right away they said they would beat it, and offered us 6.85% through some credit union, and we had to open an account there and keep an empty balance. We didn't like that idea, and said that we would stick with ELoan instead. The finance guy flat out tells us, "Well, it would help us out if you just finance it through us". I know that's true, but I told him that they were getting MSRP for the vehicle, so I didn't think they needed any more help. I then said if he wanted to knock a couple hundred off the vehicle or beat the rate more substantially, I would go through them. I mentioned that I had seen people on the net get rates around 6.75% through Chase and other banks, and at first he said they couldn't match that. Then, all of a sudden, he comes back in the room and offers us 6.74% through Chase - he said he would buy the rate down (not sure if he really has to buy it down or not, but that's his problem).

Anyway, it worked out very well for us because not only did we get a lower rate, but we didn't have to put a down payment. Since we decided not to buy the IVES through the dealer, we didn't want to make a down payment, because we wanted to put that money into the accessories. With Eloan, you can only finance 120% of the invoice price of the vehicle, so we would have had to pay anything over that, which was about $700. Not a big deal, but I was glad we didn't have to pay that after all.

Now I just have to call the other dealer Monday and cancel my order. I hope they don't hassle me too much about giving me my deposit back. I haven't even received a build date for that van yet, so they should have no problem cancelling it. Luckily, I used Amex to pay, so I can always dispute the charge if they give me a problem.

Well, sorry to ramble on, but it's been a busy day.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes! Congratulations. I did the same thing you're going to do; ask for my $500 back from a dealer in town who had put me on a waiting list.

Here's how I made it easy and painless; I simply called the dealer & told them that after we thought about it we decided we couldn't afford the van at this time. That way you avoid a scene where the dealer cries foul because you went to someone else.

On the comment you made above about the sub-woofer; read the a/v forum carefully. There's some talk about those amazing $90 Pioneer 1695s regarding skipping the sub-woofer completely. Apparently they handle the bass so well; you may not need one and save yourself $100 or so plus you get better speakers. Check it out.

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI
floor mats * mud flaps * cargo tray * leather steering wheel wrap * Blaupunkt 652 speakers * blue 'super bright' headlights * weathertech floor mats

1 - 3 of 3 Posts