Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to obtain a fair price on the Touring. Yes, I do understand supply/demand etc... etc...
Every dealer that I've contacted gave me the "it's so RARE" line and will only sell at msrp. Perhaps they should name this van the Honda Unicorn.
I have no problem dealing with a high demand vehicle and dealers have the right to sell as the market will bear. My only and biggest complaint is that they act as though they don't need and want my business because I'm negotiating and not just pull out my check book and ask them how much should I make it out to.
Perhaps I would pay a bit more if the attitudes were a bit more humble.
Sorry done ranting here.....

I will revisit this journey again once the 2012 rolls out and hopefully with more inventories. If not, I'll just continue on with my daily beater.

Funny thing is. I thought I did not want a van to begin with and now it seems that the van doesn't want me.:DD

·
Registered
632 Posts
Edmunds.com can request quotes for you thru dealers around your vicinity. They can go from 50miles to 300miles from your place. Then those dealers will send their best price to you. Get the cheapest available and take it from there. You dont have to show up at the dealership until its time to pick-up the van. Internet sales and transaction worked great for me when I bought my Ody back in '09

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know how you feel- hate paying MSRP

I bought my Touring Elite in Orlando last week. There was so little stock in all of south and central FL that there was no bargaining rm (I found only a handful in stock in FL, only 2 in Orlando at that time). There are more Tourings around and I did receive an offer for a discount of about $1000 off MSRP on a Touring model from both Classic and Coggin Honda. The Touring Elite was still in my opinion worth the extra $3000 for us. I've never paid full price (not a single dollar off and + $400 in dealer extras- mudflaps, cargo tray, wheel locks). The van is terrific though- would have waited for 2012 but really needed to replace my 2004 EX before having to deal with expensive service. If I had more time, I would have gone up to AL, NC or VA and bought there since they seem to be at least 2k-3k cheaper according to the Edmunds boards. Also, the extended warranties are much more expensive in FL, another reason to buy the vehicle elsewhere if it is feasible for you.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Honda seems to think they are still better than the other mfg. Not true anymore...Fock them..get something else

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha NO VAN FOR YOU!!

Bummer you didn't get what you wanted.

Best of luck in 2012
Thanks Phil, You've been a great source of help. I still can't believe your the deal you got.

Edmunds.com can request quotes for you thru dealers around your vicinity. They can go from 50miles to 300miles from your place. Then those dealers will send their best price to you. Get the cheapest available and take it from there. You dont have to show up at the dealership until its time to pick-up the van. Internet sales and transaction worked great for me when I bought my Ody back in '09
Thats what I've done in the past. Have a trade this time so visit to dealership was needed.

I bought my Touring Elite in Orlando last week. There was so little stock in all of south and central FL that there was no bargaining rm (I found only a handful in stock in FL, only 2 in Orlando at that time). There are more Tourings around and I did receive an offer for a discount of about $1000 off MSRP on a Touring model from both Classic and Coggin Honda. The Touring Elite was still in my opinion worth the extra $3000 for us. I've never paid full price (not a single dollar off and + $400 in dealer extras- mudflaps, cargo tray, wheel locks). The van is terrific though- would have waited for 2012 but really needed to replace my 2004 EX before having to deal with expensive service. If I had more time, I would have gone up to AL, NC or VA and bought there since they seem to be at least 2k-3k cheaper according to the Edmunds boards. Also, the extended warranties are much more expensive in FL, another reason to buy the vehicle elsewhere if it is feasible for you.
Thanks for the info.

Honda seems to think they are still better than the other mfg. Not true anymore...Fock them..get something else
My line of thoughts.:DD

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a trade too but i managed to set a good price before i told them on my trade in and i have a set price on my trade from edmunds.com so the dealership dont low ball me on my trade-in.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have a trade too but i managed to set a good price before i told them on my trade in and i have a set price on my trade from edmunds.com so the dealership dont low ball me on my trade-in.
I've only bought 2 cars with trade in so far, and my strategy was to look at kbb and Edmund for resonable trade in values. Then I would look at true market values for the new cars, and also add the options I want at some price between msrp and invoice (closer to invoice).
Then I have a number in my head for otd price.

So far that worked well.

Hdn75: have you checked in with crown like I mentioned in my PM? I'm going to bring my Acura in for service next month so I can mention something to them about a deal if you want.
Anyways, I'm glad I could help, enjoy driving your beater until you mange to get your hands on a unicorn :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
you don't seem to be on a rush, good deals with come as the '12 shows up and the year-end approaches. I've bought my cars in Nov, Dec and Jan and dealers are hungrier for business.

Meh, as per family haulers, as long as is safe and is not a Dodge, Fiat nor a KIA, I don't care about the brand, I actually thought the Toyota Camry van was OK, but as far as vans go, the Odyssey is the best (or least worse in your terms) out of the bunch, and Honda knows that I'm afraid.

Having said that, deals should be out there if you have time to research

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes dealers love to low ball on trades. My 2011 Mercedes E550 has not been inputed into kbb or edmunds trade value, hence my extra leg work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've only bought 2 cars with trade in so far, and my strategy was to look at kbb and Edmund for resonable trade in values. Then I would look at true market values for the new cars, and also add the options I want at some price between msrp and invoice (closer to invoice).
Then I have a number in my head for otd price.

So far that worked well.

Hdn75: have you checked in with crown like I mentioned in my PM? I'm going to bring my Acura in for service next month so I can mention something to them about a deal if you want.
Anyways, I'm glad I could help, enjoy driving your beater until you mange to get your hands on a unicorn :)
Phil,
I have not contacted your guy yet. I figured same boat since low inventory. Speaking of boat, I'll take BigBoat's advice on waiting towards then end of this year.
Or, I'll buy yours for trade in value of $35K.:DD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Inventory levels are the lowest I've ever seen, and I've been looking at Odys off & on for 5 years. The tsunami has had a big effect. Production is supposed to start picking up soon though, so I'd wait til Sept at least.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Inventory levels are the lowest I've ever seen, and I've been looking at Odys off & on for 5 years. The tsunami has had a big effect. Production is supposed to start picking up soon though, so I'd wait til Sept at least.
hmmm. Odys are made in alabama with ONLY 15% outsourced components/parts. The engine & transmission are both made here in the US... maybe they (HONDA) want to look it that way so they can sell it above invoice? Got my EX above invoice & there was no way here in my place for a 100 miles radius that dealers willing to go for invoice:nothappy:

·
Registered
301 Posts
hmmm. Odys are made in alabama with ONLY 15% outsourced components/parts. The engine & transmission are both made here in the US... maybe they (HONDA) want to look it that way so they can sell it above invoice? Got my EX above invoice & there was no way here in my place for a 100 miles radius that dealers willing to go for invoice:nothappy:
I highly doubt Honda is holding back inventory to sell the Ody at a higher price. Would you buy one with 15% less parts? Even with such a low percentage of parts coming from Japan they cannot complete the car. The country was just leveled and nearly had a nuclear meltdown, parts and car production has slowed. Nissan and Toyota are actually worse off than Honda for some reason.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Timing is everything. Buyers that purchased prior to all this mess, got some great deals.
I will take this opportunity to test out other vehicles. Sienna here I come.
Heck, if I'm desperate... I'll go for the Town & Country or Ford Windstar. JK
Are those things still around?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Without the kidding, check my 2010 and 2011 rentals' "review", at least as a comparison point. The 2011 T&C is not as bad as many people (including myself) thought :p

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/12-mi...0-2011-chrysler-t-c-vans-long-test-drive.html
i don't know about all that. According to this new Yahoo poll (how accurate it may be), The T & C made the top 5 vehicles to avoid.

5 Used Cars to Avoid (and 5 Better Alternatives) - Yahoo! Autos

I would buy a Korean van before I buy American, and I would never buy a Kia Sedona.

And back to the original subject, supply and demand will always play no matter what vehicle. Its not that Honda or any other dealer wants your business, you just don't want to part with $43,525.

Any dealer will sell you a Unicorn for the price they want, if you don't buy it, somebody will always be there, like myself.

I'm an astute consumer, but I know what I want and when I want/need to have it. I can assure you, I know I paid more than what I know I could have paid for my Touring Elite, however, my family and I have been enjoying it for the past month, and that is worth at least $100,000,000.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i don't know about all that. According to this new Yahoo poll (how accurate it may be), The T & C made the top 5 vehicles to avoid.

5 Used Cars to Avoid (and 5 Better Alternatives) - Yahoo! Autos

I would buy a Korean van before I buy American, and I would never buy a Kia Sedona.

And back to the original subject, supply and demand will always play no matter what vehicle. Its not that Honda or any other dealer wants your
business, you just don't want to part with $43,525.

Any dealer will sell you a Unicorn for the price they
want, if you don't buy it, somebody will always be there, like myself.

I'm an astute consumer, but I know what I want and when I want/need to
have it. I can assure you, I know I paid more than what I know I could have paid for my Touring Elite, however, my family and I have been enjoying it for
the past month, and that is worth at least $100,000,000.

Kia is a korean company!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Regarding Korean cars... I'll buy a Hyundai Starex than a Kia Sedona.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts