Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey with 197,000 miles. 1st tranny went at 107,000 miles, Honda provided a partial warranty still had to pay $1500 out of pocket. I was told the defect in these transmissions was fixed on the new one I was getting, so I should get the longevity I expect out of Honda. Instead I got only 90,000 miles out of the new transmission. On top of that I had numerous check engine lights due to the emission system/cat converter left and right. We all know the CAT doesn't do anything other than trigger the ck engine light and force you to replace it for several hundred dollars. My point is I could have bought a Chrysler or a Ford for much cheaper and achieved the same results. I use to think the big 3 (Honda, Nissan, Toyota) were all equivalent. Well scratch Honda off the list, Nissan I am not sure, never owned one. I had 3 Toyota trucks before my Honda and they never gave me any trouble.

Going back to Toyota, just bought a used 2005 4Runner, solid ride, no problems no bogus check engine lights

·
Registered
539 Posts
Getting 90K miles out of the second transmission is pretty good - the second transmission in my van only went a bit over 30K before failing!

And the catalytic converter efficiency issue (code P0420) is certainly not unique to Honda - ever since OBD II emissions standards went into place in the mid-1990s, a downstream (post-converter) or secondary O2 sensor has been required. I maintain a Ford Taurus and a Buick Century (family friend and MIL) that both have this code set, but the cars are not in areas where emission testing is required so nothing has been done about it.

No vehicle manufacturer is perfect; they all have their winners and losers. All you have to do is to visit the discussion forums for a particular vehicle to find out what the issues are.

Good luck with your Toyota - if you don't think that they have similar problems, read these links (quick 5-minute web search):

Help!!Check engine light on 2005 v6 SR5 4x4 T4R - Toyota 4Runner Forum

2ND GEN 4Runner Check Engine Light - YotaTech Forums

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/3ztjs-2005-4runner-4x4-v8-100-000-miles-check-engine-light.html

2005 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Discussions

Problems With 2005 Toyota 4Runner Stability Control | eHow.com

Consumer complaints about Toyota Engine Problems

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
The 4Runner is one fine vehicle, but it's in a completely different class from the Odyssey, as were the three Toyota trucks you mentioned. Now, if you had bought a Sienna (also a fine vehicle), I would have given you more credit for trashing the 12-year-old Ody.

·
Registered
148 Posts
2002 Odyssey not reliable. Transmission and many other things. ATF changed early and often Z1 only. Dealer bad service. Not happy with Honda. Bought 3 cars after buying the Odyssey in 2002. None Honda or Acura.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm about done with Toyota Sienna that's why I joined this forum. At $105K or so, the PS rack is having problems leaking. Researching the Honda Ody now. There are quite a few other issues with Sienna like needing tires every 1.75-2yrs because it gets out of alignment constantly.

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey with 197,000 miles. 1st tranny went at 107,000 miles, Honda provided a partial warranty still had to pay $1500 out of pocket. I was told the defect in these transmissions was fixed on the new one I was getting, so I should get the longevity I expect out of Honda. Instead I got only 90,000 miles out of the new transmission. On top of that I had numerous check engine lights due to the emission system/cat converter left and right. We all know the CAT doesn't do anything other than trigger the ck engine light and force you to replace it for several hundred dollars. My point is I could have bought a Chrysler or a Ford for much cheaper and achieved the same results. I use to think the big 3 (Honda, Nissan, Toyota) were all equivalent. Well scratch Honda off the list, Nissan I am not sure, never owned one. I had 3 Toyota trucks before my Honda and they never gave me any trouble.

Going back to Toyota, just bought a used 2005 4Runner, solid ride, no problems no bogus check engine lights

·
Registered
52 Posts
cars arent meant to last forever, and they dont fix themselves. preventative maintanence PREVENTS problems. lol at people expecting a auto trans to last more than 100k without regular maintanence and jesus' hand saving it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
cars arent meant to last forever, and they dont fix themselves. preventative maintanence PREVENTS problems. lol at people expecting a auto trans to last more than 100k without regular maintanence and jesus' hand saving it.
Preventative Maintenance doesn't help when there is a design issue with the transmission. I maintained my Odyssey, but still had 2 failed transmissions. 2nd transmission died in about 20K miles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I concur with Kuya Ody that there was a design flaw with the 99-04 tranny. Honda really messed that one up but I was very pleased that they were willing to extend the warranty. Honda also redesigned their tranny and subsequently had less issues. Not zero issues but fewer and different ones. Conversely, the Dodge Caravan had a known transmission failure problem and the mfg continued to put it into their vehicles knowing!!! that it was a piece of junk. I owned a Caravan and had to rebuild my tranny once. There is a massive difference between the way a manufacturer like Honda and a manufacturer like Dodge deals with design flaws. I still stand by Honda quality and by the way Consumer Reports SUCKS!!! Oops did I say that? I am about to accidentally hit send before I can delete that part. rsanchez I hope you have years of no issues with your Toyota. 4Runner is a solid vehicle and Toyota is well known for solid trucks.....except for maybe the Tundra but that's a whole other story.

Watchman

·
Registered
52 Posts
which is y i said jesus' hand had to put 1 together if it makes it past 100k. auto trans are **** no matter whose name is on the tag.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They sure do seem to cause more problems than manuals that's for sure. But then I remember my dad owned a 66 Chev Impala and it had a 2 speed automatic transmission. YIKES!!! I think that was 2 forward speeds by the way :).

·
Registered
12 Posts
A cat converter will eventually die, 8-10 year life. $130-150 aftermarket part and installation will fix it. I have 175k on a 2001 (first tranny replaced at 70k under warranty) and I am surprised I haven't had any more problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts