Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't stand it anymore - I've been lusting after that Donnelly video mirror since I saw it ( http://www.donnelly.com/products/interiorvisionsystems/babyvue.asp ). I finally broke down and ordered it a few days ago. It's definitely an extravagance after already getting the ROSS, but a camera may be the only thing that provides enough precision to be a parking aid, which is what I want. (I didn't really think about this when I got the ROSS.)

I actually wish they sold the camera alone, because I'm already preparing to wire the Navi as a video screen so I don't really need the extra screen. I did look at some other much cheaper stand alone cameras but they didn't have a wide enough viewing angle and I didn't think I could integrate them cleanly. Besides, the Donnelly unit comes with the electrochromic mirror too.

Probably should have asked this sooner, but has anyone got one of these yet?

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Not yet, but I want one. I love gadgets and this one is actually useful.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
255 Posts
I want one, too, but I want the compass/temp mirror - I called Donnelly the other day, they only package the reverse video system with the regular rear view mirror.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Lorax, I agree that the "trick set up" will be to have the reverse video output played through the NAVI screen. Are you using the suggested modifications posted by Video on My Navi? If so, I'm sure we would all be very interested in seeing a parts list and any other info you thing might be helpful for this mod. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't need the compass because I have the Navi, but the temp would be nice.

I did receive the Donnelley yesterday. It looks pretty good, but I am a little concerned about how I am going to mount the rear camera. The instructions are not much help here. The kit only provides for applying it with double back tape. I don't think this will be secure enough. I can identify spots on the mounting plate where I could use screws so I might try that. Also, the harness sticks straight out the back which will also make it difficult to mount.

This will probably take a while to do right. I'll keep you posted.

I am using the "Video on Navi" setup. Modifying the pioneer decoder is pretty straightforward if you can handle basic soldering. It would actually be possible to use it by just making up a special harness that uses the male connector on the unit, but I don't know where to look for the the female connector. Soldering directly to the board is not as clean, but simpler and cheaper. The only thing you really need for a basic install is 4 conductor shielded wire and a 4PDT switch.

Before I install Video on Navi I'm looking for a ntsc encoder for automotive use. I thought Clarion made one but I can't seem to find it now. If I can get one, I'll try converting the rgb output from the navi to ntsc and then connecting that to a switcher. One of the outputs of the switcher will run back to the navi screen (through the video on navi). This way I would be able to display the navi on any screen as well as any video on the navi. Probably not worth doing, but it's an obsession.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi
Leather Interior, Wings West Kit and lots of other mods.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lorax:
I am using the "Video on Navi" setup. </font>
I have some photos of this to put online this weekend.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hit a snag over the weekend with the Donnelly video mirror.

Apparently, the basic kit will not work with directly with the mount on the Odyssey. They have not yet begun to support the Odyssey mount with the video mirror (although they do support it for their other mirrors).

Unfortunately, there is no indication of this provided on their website.

I am expecting a call from someone at Donnelly. Hopefully, support for the Odyssey is in work.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More news. I was called by tech support at Donnelly. They have no information on planned support for the Odyssey with the video mirror.

I could remove the Honda button from the windshield and install a generic mount, but I don't want a kludge. So I'll probably just return it. How disappointing.

I also found out that the signal used in the cameras is not NTSC or PAL, you can't just patch it to other screens in your video system (or the Video on Navi).

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent him a message asking about the installation.

I suspect that he had to remove the stock button and install a generic.

I also noticed that he shows the rear camera installed on the glass, just below the rear spoiler. I thought this would be the best position also, however, the instructions warn not to install it on glass.

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to get the adapter from Rick (thanks Jim). About $30 shipped.

So I finished the installation last week. Rick said that the adhesive will hold fine on the rear glass but the wiper gets in the way. I decided to install it just below the glass (removing the Honda emblem). This did require drilling a hole, however. (Yikes!) Everything came out just fine.

On negative is that the rear camera does not view the entire width of the bumper (missing about a foot on either side). I am wondering if I can find some kind of fisheye lens that can be adapted to provide a full view. Beyond that it works great. It is a great help in backing up the vehicle.

I mounted the babyvue camera on the bulge of the headliner near the passenger B-pillar.

Anyone interested can check out some pictures at http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={58A35875-34AB-4C7F-9315-48713DDB9446}&userid={58A35875-34AB-4C7F-9315-48713DDB9446}&tio=0

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi

·
1,484 Posts
Thanks for the pics Lorax. Nice to see new shots of the Wings West kit. I really like the look of the baby cam and where you mounted it. It looks like it was OEM. Also, where did you get the exhaust? Nice! Is it real or is it just a tip? And finally, what screen do you use for the back-up cam - the NAVI or the baby cam? Anyways, very good job on the mods.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, the exhaust is only a tip.

Also unfortunate, the Donnelly cams can only be used with the Donnelly screen. According to Donnelly the signal is not NTSC. It works pretty well though - switches to the rear cam whenever I shift into reverse.

Next I'm going to check on having the rear camera painted to match the exterior.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts