Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this forum in hopes someone could give me any kind of feedback. I'm so mad at myself I could scream. It's Sunday morning, we're in the van and waiting on the wife. I forgot the passenger door was open and didn't look back before backing up and the van door caught the edge of the garage door frame. Pulled it out of the track. Now the door is stuck open. It will be tricky getting it out. The garage is a tight fit as it is.

I guess I'm just assuming this is only a Dealer fix. I don't think Joe Blow's garage can fix this. It's not too bad but it's bad enough to not be able to close. I can see the wheel off the track on the back part of the door towards the rear.

I could post photos if that would help or make any difference. I'm just so upset that I trashed my wife's van. It's Sunday and no one opened. AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm assuming you have either the EX, EXL, or Touring, in which case it is a power door. I think if it is powered, it especially needs to go to the dealer. Sorry about your day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's a power door. I figured the Dealer would have to fix it. It's going to be really crazy driving it down the street with the door opened.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,935 Posts
Ouch. There is another member who had the same thing happen. Their damage however seems to have been less than yours.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74330&highlight=out+and+garage+and+hit

Since its Sunday and nobody is open any way, if you are mechanically inclined, go through the door center roller replacement DIY threads and see if you want to tackle putting the door back on the track just so you can close it manually. I would think the bracket on the track would be bent so you will either have to change the bracket or take it in come tomorrow and get it fixed but instead of driving with a hanging door, if you can manage to close it one way or the other, I would think it would be better for ya.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dvpatel said:
go through the door center roller replacement DIY threads
Where would I find this thread? you mean search for it or is there an actual thread?

·
Super Moderator
13,935 Posts
jimfelder said:
Where would I find this thread? you mean search for it or is there an actual thread?
I meant search for it. There are several threads with DIY instructions with pictures on Door problems that might help you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Updated News

OK, I got the nerve up to at least take off the tail light and lift up the track cover. I can see that the post that holds one of the rollers that travel horizontally is bent and the plastic roller is broken off completely into pieces. Crazy that they just plastic. The wheel/roller that runs vertically along the track is off the track and is sitting low. I looked over the driver side door to see how it looks.

So I guess my concern is that if I attempt to take this apart further will I screw up the cabling. I thought I could at least try to get the door closed some how so I can either get the part and fix it later so my wife can at least drive to work and back. I like the fact that I can turn off the power to the doors and open and shut them manually. What are your thoughts about where I'm at now? Anyone know what I will have to purchase from the dealer to fix this? I know I can't just replace the one axle and wheel by themselves. You usually have to buy a bigger part that has all of the little parts with it. Know what I mean?

P.S. I did find some great threads on how to do some to do some of what I did here. Just not sure I want to tackle the whole thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I have looked further. I'm doing this in between having to take care of my 4 and 16 month old. So here a photo I took with my iPhone.

You can see now that both of the plastic wheels that that travel horizontally along the track are completely gone and in pieces. Also the vertical wheel still attached is still in tact. One of the axles is bent. One of the axles is also out of the track and the other still in the track but no wheel. If I could get the one post inside the track I could at least try to get the door closed.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1811016/photo-1.JPGImage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I did manage to get the door shut with the help of my brother. So I'll call Honda Dealer tomorrow and find out what all I'll have to buy and may attempt this myself. I think my toughest hurdle will be the cables and getting them working correctly. I'm wondering if I'll have to even deal with them.

I do notice that the front part of the door is not seating like the driver side door but it IS shut and latched.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry for your problem. Is there any chance your insurance will cover this repair? If so, you doing any more work and perhaps exaserbating the problem may nullify any claim you may have. Just a thought.:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, being that our 17 year old has had 3 wrecks since he started driving, we are afraid to submit any claims to the insurance company for fear of them booting us. The latest one wasn't his fault. That happened the first day of school with another student. Other guy's fault. Have to call police dept tomorrow to get more info and call their insurance tomorrow.

That said, that's why we are going to have to foot the bill on this one.

When it rains it pours. I got a $160 ticket Friday morning rushing to work.

Yes it's quite a hail storm in these here parts.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
jimfelder, where in OK are you?

Your dealer probably has a preferred body shop to handle this sort of thing.

OF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm actually in Bethany, OK. I'll go to Steve Baily Honda where we bought the Van on NW Expressway West of Council.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Got it. We're in Altus.

You live close to one of our favorite aquarium stores (Aquarium Concepts), in Warr Acres.

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya, Jim. We've come close to doing this ourselves a couple times. My wife has taken out one rearview mirror on her Ody at least once.

OF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts