Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put these on?

Anyone NOT put them on and wish they did??

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I put them on. Body colored, apparently made of metal.

Hmmmm. So the paint on these puppies will chip instead....

Plain black rubber or plastic solves the problem as well, maybe better....

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Have the black rubber/plastic ones on.Works well with me as we have a tight garage and there is a concrete leading edge the height of the bottom corner of the driver's door. This part gets hit 90% of the time.Does it's job for me.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
564 Posts
I love the cheap Trim-Brite (I think that's it) edge guards that you can get at the local auto store. They have a bead of adhesive in the groove, and they just press right on. Several colors available, including clear which matches everything. I must-have for me. Tight garage, and even tighter parking at the local shops.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the plastic black ones' I bought at Walmart well over a year ago for a couple of bucks and they have worked great with no problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do have the Honda door edge guards on my '01 SS EX Odyssey. I think that they are both for protection of your own door edge and the sides of cars parked tightly near. Or in a tight garage as stated above. I too have used the generic type on other cars, they did what they were supposed to, however the color match of the Honda part cannot, I don't think, be beaten.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Are the Honda parts actually metal as Adam thinks? I'm not sure how you protect other nearby cars if that is the case

The beauty of a white car is that it is VERY easy to match with aftermarket accessories! I've tried the $4 Trim Brites on my neighbor's white Ody, and they just disappear...same as they did on my white Volvo.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by darelldd:
Are the Honda parts actually metal as Adam thinks..........

They are either metal coated with something (I don't know exactly what) or they may very well be made up of some type of plastic as opposed to coated metal. They do have a "soft" feel.

[This message has been edited by homeric (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by homeric:
They are either metal coated with something (I don't know exactly what) or they may very well be made up of some type of plastic as opposed to coated metal. They do have a "soft" feel.

</font>

Ah. Good. So you can stick your thumb nail into them? That'll work. I think I'll still stick with the cheapies that have worked so well for me in the past. I may get the Honda ones for the Civic though, since there is no other way to match the silver. The clear Trim Brites just aren't really cutting it, since they trap crud under them which you can then SEE.

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by darelldd:
Ah. Good. So you can stick your thumb nail into them?

No.

I must amend my answer....With enough nail pressure one can gouge the edge guards. A lot of pressure is needed. However I think that, in my opinion, this misses the intended use. If the door is opened as a battering ram then nothing will protect the door's edge or whatever surface may be impeding opening that may be hit. Our own van's are protected by the side mouldings which are supposed the protect from another car's door (not a perfect protection either). If the problem is just a tight space, then opening the door slowly and pushing the door against whatever surface is there, to force your way out, then the edge guards will protect the door as intended. I would still rather replace ruined edge guards than repaint or try to touch up paint the door.

[This message has been edited by homeric (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hmm. I guess I'll have to go see what a soft-feeling, non-nail-denting edge guard feels like
You've piqued my interest now!

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, folks. I just got Honda body-colored door edge guards installed on my 2002 SS EXL-RES, but there are only two, for the front doors; none for the two sliding doors. Is this how it should be? Don't the sliding doors need edge guard protection, too? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Two, that's correct. Swing out doors need the protection.

If your sliding doors are in danger of getting chipped along the edges like that, you've got serious problems!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hneelakandan:
Hi, folks. I just got Honda body-colored door edge guards installed on my 2002 SS EXL-RES, but there are only two, for the front doors; none for the two sliding doors. Is this how it should be? Don't the sliding doors need edge guard protection, too? Thanks in advance.</font>
I wouldn't think you need them for the sliding doors. If you do, then you're parked WAY too close to something !

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just got my door edge guards (along with some other goodies) from H and A and I am very impressed with the quality. Now if I just had an Ody to put them on...

------------------
RRP EX Navi on the way-finally!
Forget world peace-visualize using your turn signal!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts