Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried the door edge guard on the new odyssey 2011?
If so, any comments.
thanks.

owner of 2011 black odyssey touring
(and receiving a lot of good compliments by strangers)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Odyssey came with the Door Edge Guards installed. Dealer "didn't charge me." I am guessing that by tried - you mean opened your door and dinged something. If so, I haven't.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone ever tried the door edge guard on the new odyssey 2011?
If so, any comments.
thanks.
We got them for our Polished Metal van - I had the dealer throw them on for $20 when they were putting the ATF cooler and backup sensors in - as the creased door edges in my wife's old Camry can attest, I need every bit of insurance against swinging doors. :)

You can barely tell they are there, and even when you look, they don't detract from the lines of the car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I ordered these and just read the directions on how to install, WTF is up with "cutting" the inside of the door and then applying touch up paint to the area? My guess is to rough up the inside edge to hold it in place, but seriously?

Has anyone installed these themselves if so did you do that step? I wonder if I can just tap these in without doing that step?

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/11dooredge.pdf

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered these and just read the directions on how to install, WTF is up with "cutting" the inside of the door and then applying touch up paint to the area? My guess is to rough up the inside edge to hold it in place, but seriously?

Has anyone installed these themselves if so did you do that step? I wonder if I can just tap these in without doing that step?

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/11dooredge.pdf
Raistlin,

You will need to cut inside and use touch up paint (to blend-in the paint and the exposed stuff) before putting on the door edge guard. Otherwise it will not fit. Just take you time. The tool is dummy proof. DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts: Odyssey

Take you time in putting in the door molding -> DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts: Episode #205 - 2011+ Honda Odyssey Body Side Molding Installation

Hope the link helps.

C

·
Registered
301 Posts
Raistlin,

You will need to cut inside and use touch up paint (to blend-in the paint and the exposed stuff) before putting on the door edge guard. Otherwise it will not fit. Just take you time. The tool is dummy proof. DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts: Odyssey

Take you time in putting in the door molding -> DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts: Episode #205 - 2011+ Honda Odyssey Body Side Molding Installation

Hope the link helps.

C
Thanks for the info, I have seen the video on the moldings but I have not seen the video on the door edge guards, thanks!

I think I should do the door edge guards first, this way I can better align the moldings, I would hate to do moldings first and mess up the measurements.

Edit: Video's are both for the molding, I have not been able to find a video for the edge guards. I need to do a youtube search.

I would love to see a pic of both installed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i got mine installed today, I just pushed them on and used a mallet to finish. I didn't cut the seam or re-touch it. It looks good and they are flush. I'll keep an eye on it. (i'm just now reading the instructions cited above - now I know what that tool was for).

·
Registered
301 Posts
i got mine installed today, I just pushed them on and used a mallet to finish. I didn't cut the seam or re-touch it. It looks good and they are flush. I'll keep an eye on it. (i'm just now reading the instructions cited above - now I know what that tool was for).
I did the install today also but I did cut the seam, it seems that if you don't that the pressure from the seam could loosen the guard. But that is just a thought, doesnt mean that it will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed on 2012 Odyssey today. I did cut the seam. The tool provided cuts down on the drivers door and up on the passenger door. It's makes a 90 degree against the outside edge of the door and the inside where the seam seal is. It helps if you put pressure on the tool against the seam when you are cutting. Use a towel as it is kinda sharp. Some places the seam is thicker than others. Just make 2 or 3 passes to trim it all. I did paint afterwards.

I was hesitant when I read the instructions, but it went very easy. Cut, paint, put on with rubber mallet.

Looks nice when done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My salesperson texted me today and said that if I'm getting door moldings (I am) that the door guards (which I've ordered as well) are redundant and they'll be refunding my money for the door guards.

I was working and didn't have time to think about it, but does this make sense? It doesn't to me...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Different functions - one protects the lip of your door when it swings into something (wall, pole, another car) and the other protects against other people's doors denting the sheet metal when they swing into it (if their door is at the right height). I didn't like the door moldings, how they look - the Ody will get banged up anyway since people here in DC are a**hats - just did the guards as I know my wife will accidentally (or the kids) swing the door into the retaining wall along our driveway, or another fixed object - happened to her old car more than once and the edge of the door was pretty banged up.

So, personal preference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. That is what I thought as well. My salesguy is new so I think is not sure what's what.

I'll call them and tell them I want both.

I made room in the garage last night for the car and was reminded once again why I love sliding doors....so much less risk of getting banged up!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Different functions - one protects the lip of your door when it swings into something (wall, pole, another car) and the other protects against other people's doors denting the sheet metal when they swing into it (if their door is at the right height). I didn't like the door moldings, how they look - the Ody will get banged up anyway since people here in DC are a**hats - just did the guards as I know my wife will accidentally (or the kids) swing the door into the retaining wall along our driveway, or another fixed object - happened to her old car more than once and the edge of the door was pretty banged up.

So, personal preference.
Although my car came with the door guard, I would not have ordered it myself. Are these things really useful? Does it really matter whether you ding/chip the edge of the door or the door guard. Something will be visibly dent and paint chipped. Likewise, I doubt the body side moldings are useful. I got them for some of my cars because IMO, they make the car look better. After all these years using body side moldings, when I look at the dings on the molding, they are all very small. In other words, the impacts would not have hit the door anyway. The moldings are chipped just because they are much more further out than the doors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, BigBoat, and our driveway is gravel---ack! Horrible for rainy days.

HappyVan, interesting point you make about door guards and body moldings not actually being that helpful. Hmm.

I was going to order all weather mats and a cargo tray from ebay....maybe I'll just have the dealer swap out door moldings for the tray and cargo mat. Less work on their end in any event.

argh. Can't decide.

Oh, and off topic, but my daughter somehow got sand in the little area where the door closes. Since it is a brand new car, I've been taking the dust buster to it every few days (yes, I know the thrill will wear off!), and I couldn't fit the dust buster into this space.

When we opened the van door this morning I could hear it crunch and slow down. ack! Seems like a weird big space where stuff could get trapped. I'll have to watch out for that issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. That is what I thought as well. My salesguy is new so I think is not sure what's what.

I'll call them and tell them I want both.

I made room in the garage last night for the car and was reminded once again why I love sliding doors....so much less risk of getting banged up!
Your salesguy sounds like an idiot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My salesperson texted me today and said that if I'm getting door moldings (I am) that the door guards (which I've ordered as well) are redundant and they'll be refunding my money for the door guards.

I was working and didn't have time to think about it, but does this make sense? It doesn't to me...
Perhaps properly installed Body Side Molding is positioned too close to the edge of the doors. This would leave little room for the Door Edge Guards, which look terrible anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I ordered a bunch of new accessories for our new TE. I ordered the door edge guards and didn't think to read the instructions before ordering. I didnt know about the whole cutting the seam sealant. this seems counter productive to not hurting your new van. I don't like cutting away sealants and then having to paint and then i install something to protect the van. I have to hurt you to help you? If anyone has pictures of the after to see how much sealant it really cuts away and how it looks i would appreciate it. I have been thinking of getting the door edge film for the CRV or Accord untill it gets so beat up I won't mind cutting and installing the door guards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts