Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Honda door edge guards and I'm a bit afraid to put them on. The instructions say you'll be required to touch-up spots where the paint gets damaged. I'm terribly afraid that hammering on these metal guards will actually damage the finish of the door beneath it.

Also, since the door guards are also painted metal, won't they just as easily get damaged and chip just like the door without the guards. I really expected to receive a plastic part that wouldn't risk damaging the door.

I'm starting to think I should put these in reserve and install them if/when the door edge really does get damaged.

Are their any aftermarket guards made of soft plastic that won't damage the door?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Door edge guards are not hard to put on. The only paint touch up you should need is on the inside of the door where you have to scrape off the sealant to install the guards. There is no need to do any touch up paint work on the outside part of the doors.

The Honda guards come with a scraping tool to make this very easy to do. After you scrape the sealant away, simply dab on some touch up paint (on the inside edge of the door) to paint over where you have scraped the paint away and push on the door edge guards. The guards will cover up most of everything you have scrapped away anyway. The touch up paint just gives it that finished look. When you are done, you won't be able to tell there is any touch up paint on it.

There are aftermarket rubber door edge guards available at most auto parts stores. Colors are black, chrome, and maybe clear. There was no white, which left me with no choice. Clear shows dirt underneath it. I purchased some black ones for my Volvo. The aftermarket ones are rubber, and "stick out" more from the door than the Honda one does. I had good service out of a rubber set I put on a previous Volvo. But I am also very happy with the Honda guards. They are much sturdier than the rubber type. I have had mine on for around 90 days and have not noticed any chipping on the Honda door edge guards.

Total install time shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes. If you don't already have a bottle of touch up paint, get one, you'll need it for the rock chips and scrapes on the hood and bumper.

Good luck.

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Questar Mobile DVD player; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Dashtopper, Zaino'd

1 - 2 of 2 Posts