Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the color matching door edge guards. How do they look? Are they worth it? I was going to order the edge guards and wheel locks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Color coordimated door edge guards are easy to install, look great and are definately worth it. Be sure to also get a bottle of touch-up paint too. During the installation you must trim the sealant on the inner surface of the door where the guards will be and touch it up prior to installing the guards. They supply a nifty little tool to trim the sealant. If it takes you more than 30 to 45 minutes to install them, it's only because you took a nap to let the paint dry.

Fred

·
Registered
48 Posts
I live in Canada, and purchased generic door edge gaurds at Canadian Tire. These are basically clear palstic edge guards that just fit on the door with tension and do not require and prep or removal of sealant. I have had them on all 4 doors for about 5 months now, and they work great. The clear plastic works great as the color shows through, and does not look tacky IMHO.

CHIA

·
Registered
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bcuinohio:
Trim the sealant? What does that involve? </font>
A small tool comes with the door edge guards. You mark where they will go on the inside edge of the door and simply run the little tool between the marks along the edge of the door. It trims the excess sealant slicker than Dixie. Trust me, I had never done it either and it was dirt simple. Just a quick touch-up job and tap the door edge guards in place and you're done.
Piece of cake!

Fred

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was checking the door edge guards out on the HandA website and they had directions. It all makes sense now. I think that I am going to get some. Thanks for yout help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just my luck. I went to HandA's website to order them. I was going to order the door guards, touch up paint and the wheel locks. After I went to the checkout it warned me that they wouldn't be getting any touch up paint in my color until 3/30/02. The door guards aren't much good If I don't have any touch up paint. I e-mailed them to see what's going on. It's hard to believe that they can't get touch up paint for a color that has been out since the 2002's were released.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just my luck. I went to HandA's website to order them. I was going to order the door guards, touch up paint and the wheel locks. After I went to the checkout it warned me that they wouldn't be getting any touch up paint in my color until 3/30/02. The door guards aren't much good If I don't have any touch up paint. I e-mailed them to see what's going on. It's hard to believe that they can't get touch up paint for a color that has been out since the 2002's were released.</font>
Not to worry, Pep Boys or AutoZone have it and it's about the same price.

Fred

·
Registered
9 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
Not to worry, Pep Boys or AutoZone have it and it's about the same price.

Fred
</font>
Why is trimming the sealant necessary?
I am about to install the edge guard I ordered from H&A but it looked like it will work without the extra work.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well.... on my 02 EX the sealant would interfer with the installation. So I trimmed it, painted it and tapped them on. As I said before, "Piece of cake". Honda wouldn't have you do it if it weren't necessary. I think it may keep the seal between the outer door skin and door frame intact. If you just hammer the guard on, you might force the sealant to rip causing problems down the road with rust.
Just follow the instructions and then Honda can't tell you that the reason both front doors are rusting under the door edge guards is because you failed to trim the seal as instructed.

Fred

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 02-26-2002).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
They have the touch up paint or the door guards?</font>
Touch-up paint.

Fred

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I e-mailed HandA. My touch up paint had just come in. I ordered the door edge guards. Once the weather warms up, I am going to put them on. Thanks everybody for the advice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The door edge guards, touch up paint and wheel locks that I ordered for HandA showed up yesterday. I am very happy with the service of HandA. They said that my order would arrive on 03/06/02 and it did!

[This message has been edited by bcuinohio (edited 03-07-2002).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very good, bcuinohio, please let us know how the installation goes. I am interested in the special door guard installation as recommended by Honda. Thanks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
bcuinohio, you won't be sorry about your purchase. The door edge guards look great and so do the wheel locks. About now, you're asking yourself "Now, where can I keep the key for the wheel locks?". Check out the post in http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000129.html

Just one of several ideas.

Fred

·
Registered
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
bcuinohio, you won't be sorry about your purchase. The door edge guards look great and so do the wheel locks. About now, you're asking yourself "Now, where can I keep the key for the wheel locks?".
Check out the post in http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000129.html

Just one of several ideas.

Fred
</font>

·
Registered
596 Posts
bcuinohio said:
The door edge guards, touch up paint and wheel locks that I ordered for HandA showed up yesterday. I am very happy with the service of HandA. They said that my order would arrive on 03/06/02 and it did!

[This message has been edited by bcuinohio (edited 03-07-2002).]
How about an update bcuinohio. Did you get the guards installed and was it difficult?

Fred

1 - 19 of 19 Posts