Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, new here but not new to troubleshooting vehicle issues or repairs. My wife’s 2008 touring has suddenly developed an issue with door locks.

The front passenger and rear hatch won’t unlock/open from inside or outside. I can hear/feel the lock click/move inside the doors but no access. The pop up manual lock on the passenger door does not move, not even a twitch, when pressing unlock. All three other doors are fine.

if it had just been one of them I’d suppose it’s a lock mechanism or wiring issues to a specific door, by just those two at the same time… bizarre.

History: We drove it to kids games today and I noticed as the auto lock (at 5mph?) sounded a little odd, possibly like it activated the locks repeatedly a few times, but there was a lot going on with kids And since I don’t drive it very often, I wasn’t 100% sure that what I was hearing was different than normal. We parked and locked the vehicle. Unlocked and used the rear hatch to load chairs etc. Drove the van 100 yards, stopped, unlocked and opened sliding and front passenger doors. Drove off, doors locked. I did not notice if they sounded weird or not, so I’m assuming they were as normal. We drive 20 min home, and passenger door will not open from inside or outside, back hatch won’t open via any button or external latch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Looking at the diagram for the front passenger door and the rear hatch, it seems the actuators are your problem.

Front Door (part #4):

Hatch (part #21):

ALL of the door locks (the actuators) are tied together on a single fuse in the driver's side fuse box (fuse #4, 20A), so I doubt it's an electrical issue or fuse, or NONE of your power door locks would be working.

Even the manual push/pull lock/unlock knob attaches to the actuator. If it's seized/broken gears internally, you can't open the door with the key, the push/pull knob, the keyless entry remote, or the exterior handle. They ALL tie to the actuator. That's the point of failure.

Strange for 2 of them to go at the exact same time? Sure, but they probably have about the same wear-n-tear on them so it's kinda like window regulators in the sense that when one goes, the others aren't far behind. They probably just both went bad at a close enough interval that they SEEM related, but it appears as though it's just a coincidence. (y)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Has it been raining recently on the van?

Ours had similar crazy lock and other odd electrical behaviors.
Sealed the roof rails. No more problems.

Water leaks down behind the drivers/pass kick panel fuse panels and corrodes/creates havoc.

Just a thought and possible other avenue to investigate.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I keep forgetting about this one. More water intrusion creating havoc.

Have you perused the TSB links?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts