Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant figure out how my son opened the power sliding door (Yes, it was on power not manual) but he did when i was filling up gas. I was kinda of a afraid of this but i was thinking opening up the gas tank cover should prevent the sliding door from opening. it pretty much destroyed the gas tank cover. I hope it doesnt cost too much to replace.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There should be a default no open when you are refilling, I guess the car cannot be perfect. I have enabled the child safety feature on the driver's side slider and hope that this ameliorates this potential problem. The door can then be opened with either the outside door handle, with the remote or by the dashboard control button, but not from the inside handle.

------------------
'01 SS EX: fenderwell trim, splash guards, door guards, Honda cargo mat, Honda cargo tray, Honda 6 disc CD-changer, Honda cassette player, OEM subwoofer, Honda front speaker upgrade, Honda emergency repair bag, WeatherTech air deflector and wind shields, Thule roofrack system.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That should be repaired under warranty. There's an interlock that failed, so Honda should fix it, assuming you're still within the warranty.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Chuck's point is good and should not go unheeded. I am pretty sure from reading the manual for my 2001 that the door should lock and stay locked when the fuel door has opened - This is not, as I understand it, related to the child safety locks. Even adult guest would not know that the passenger door would crush the filler door so the interlock should work all the time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It seems to me that a problem of this nature needs to be reported as a safety issue. If this happened in dry winter conditions an explosion could easily occur if sparks were generated from the door hitting the filler cover. Just my .02

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX ?

·
Registered
585 Posts
No doubt! It never even crossed my mind that my busy busy 3 year old could figure out how to unlock & open the door while I was putting gas in...thinking back it scares me to think just how close I've come to this very situation as he's quite good at opening the door from the inside and seems to always do things I dont notice (like turn EVERY interior light on) until later.

Yipe yipe yipe! Nyvram scampers outside to set his child locks to defcon 5!

------------------
Marvyn

2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 2001 owner's manual states the alert about the door opening during filling. I don't think that there is any type of safety. While it may be a shortcoming, awareness (reading the manual) is probably not a bad idea.

------------------
'01 SS EX: fenderwell trim, splash guards, door guards, Honda cargo mat, Honda cargo tray, Leather steering wheel cover, Honda 6 disc CD-changer, Honda cassette player, OEM subwoofer, Honda front speaker upgrade, Honda emergency repair bag, WeatherTech air deflector and wind shields, Thule roofrack system.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Seems like a design-flaw; they should move the gas tank opening further back so that it does not interfere with the door opening or put some type of 'refrigerator light' switch (like on the doors) that deactivate that door if the gas tank is popped.

------------------

Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Registered
12 Posts
WHEN I OPEN THE GAS FIILER DOOR ON MY EX,
THE DRIVER SIDE SLIDING DOOR LOCKS ITSELF.
FOR ndb PROBABLY THIS FEATURE MALFUNCTION

------------------
JERRY
01' SS EX

·
Registered
103 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Yipe yipe yipe! Nyvram scampers outside to set his child locks to defcon 5!

</font>
LOL. Marvyn, you crack me up! It's a joy to read all of your posts.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
What do you mean 'funny'?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
What do you mean 'funny'?</font>
fun·ny adj

1. a. Causing laughter or amusement. b. Intended or designed to amuse.
2. Strangely or suspiciously odd; curious.
3. Tricky or deceitful.

by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition

-------------------------------

My money is on definition #2. Yup, that's Marvyn!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights
</font></td></tr></table>

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts