Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought an Odyssey about a month back and have fell in love with it since the day I bought. I bought weathertech floor mats and door sill garnish. Though I am really impressed by the floor mats and installed these already, I am not so sure if the door sill garnish is worth the money ($200). I thought the dirt would accumulate underneath the door sill garnish and hard to clean. And if I need to take these off for any reason, would these mess up the plastic door sill ?
Can anyone give me some recommendations and sooner ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you do a search, there was a tread on the door sill garnish. After reading, I ordered one set for $184 and installed it by myself in about 30 min. It not only enhances the look of the van when the door is open, it provides much needed traction (the black grippy materials) for people (especially kids) to go in and out of the van when it is raining or snowing. It also helps the parents to have some thing to step on when trying to put the kids in the car seat. I thus think that it is a nice safety feature to add.

·
Registered
130 Posts
it provides much needed traction (the black grippy materials) for people (especially kids) to go in and out of the van when it is raining or snowing.
That's the reason we added it (well, also b/c the dealer screwed up, it was easier to have them throw them in rather than get a $200 refund) - my wife was not a fan of the kids sliding out. If I hadn't added it, I would have figured out a way to just add the anti-skid tape to the stock plastic in a way it would actually stick and not look like crud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone...out of the 4 responses, 2 are positive and 2 not so positive. That would leave it to myself to decide :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks everyone...out of the 4 responses, 2 are positive and 2 not so positive. That would leave it to myself to decide :)

Ha. Essentially, it looks nice but worth the money over just using some anti-skid tape? I would not have been likely to spend the money, but my wife probably would have carped at how tape looked on the plastic sill. Plus, not sure how the tape would hold up in the long run. If you're going to keep it a long time (we keep our cars 10+ years), probably worth the investment to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you care about the added traction, you need to find a way to put the anti-grip materials on the doorsills. The door sill garnish provides a stylish way of doing this for $184, which was the cheapest I found on eBay. You could just buy some grip tapes and tape them there on the plastic, but how do you keep it more or less attractive and stand up against the test of time? You don't have to decide now, unless the dealer offers $200 (or less) installation included. As I said the materials cost about $18x and put it on should take about 30 min with no tool required.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree with Happyvan, not worth the money. Rater get the Body Molding or something else....

Here I did with my kids doors.....got it local Sanrio Hello Kitty store $10 bucks

IMG_1685.jpg These are self adhesive wallpaper border, You can do any Sports Team , Disney, ect.....
Walmart carry them.

IMG_1687.jpg And Cut-to-fit, after that use a hairdryer to activate the adhesive to make it bond well and off course clean the area first!
Is been over 3 months and still holding strong.....kids in and out everyday. And is very easy to clean since is made of vinyl.

IMG_1688.jpg And this for front doors......$8 bucks from Walmart.

IMG_1690.jpg Come with 3M adhesive. Trim a little then you're done!

·
Registered
63 Posts
All personal preference. Is it worth the money in the pure 'cost of materials' sense ? Definitely not. Am I glad I got it - definitely yes. For me it comes out to about $4 a month over the life of my loan. Some people are motivated enough to to it themselves, but with a 2yr old and 11wk old at home, I would have never gotten around to it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bringing an old thread to life, there isn't a way we can order a black or dark grey door sill is there? My concern is it getting dirty the marks more so than slipping.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks too bad the Odyssey doesn't come with a black interior, or we would be happy replacing the entire piece of trim which passengers step on in black instead of the light grey we have.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Our current van and our last van were both lightish gray on the door sill area, can't say dirt was ever much of an issue. Nothing that won't wipe off that is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just put some on this past Monday and I say they are worth the cash. They look great and I no longer worry about the kids scuffing the plastic up all the time.

·
Registered
739 Posts
We have the Honda door sill garnishes, our 2 cents... if you live in fair weather pavement country, an easy recommendation to buy, they look great, work great and easy to install. If you have long messy winters or live on a dirt road (like us), the sills will get beat up and ugly very quickly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with some of the posters here...it's a matter of personal preference. But as the parent of 2 kids under the age of 5, I can tell you that it's well worth the money. Both of my sons are at the age that they want to do everything themselves, including getting in and out of the car. My older one fell once because the sill was damp and that was enough for me to pick up a set of door sill garnish and install them the next day. Now both boys can grab open the doors, grab the handle, and get themselves in. In the winter especially, this has been proven to be a good buy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can any who have installed the OEM door sill garnish post pics?

·
Registered
98 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts