Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on here for a while and been able to get most answers from a search, but this one has stumped me. Here's the situation...

I have an 06' EX-L that I have replaced the following:
-Clarion NX409 head unit
-Polk db 6 1/2 components (woofers/tweeters) in factory spot
-Alpine 2 channel amp running the front speakers
-For the amp install I ran output wires from the amp to the dash and tapped into the factory door/woofer and dash/tweeter wires

My problem is that when I play the speakers at a high volume, the amp cuts out and goes into safety mode. At first I checked for a bad ground, out of phase speakers, etc.

I then took out the woofer and tweeters and ran a small wire directly from the amp and was able to play them as loud as possible with the amp running fine. I narrowed it down to the woofer using existing speaker wires is the cause of the amp shutting down.

My questions are the following:
-Has anyone done a similar setup using the existing wires w/o a problem?
-Does anyone know of an inline crossover/resistor of some type in the wires that could be causing this issues.
-If I have to run new wires to the door, any tips on doing so?

·
Registered
513 Posts
What Polk component kit are you using, is it the db6501?

I am trying to figure out why it is marked as not fitting by Crutchfield...

Edit: Chatting with a Crutchfield customer service rep cleared it up, the db6501 component kit fits in the front. Seems one measurement is within .06 in of the maximum, tripping their automated fitting logic.

Nicolas

·
Registered
119 Posts
How much power are you sending to your speakers?
What guage wire did you use when you tested directly from the am to the mid-bass at the door?

In some cases factory speaker wiring can be 18AWG (rated for 115W), but more often 20-22AWG.

At a typical load of 4 ohms, 18AWG wire length should be 16ft max (for negligible impedance from the wire itself)

It could simply be the factory wire + the speaker impedance + the wire impedance causes the amp to go into safety mode. I am not aware of any in-line cross-over/resistor going to the door speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts