Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did not like the way the side doors do not open all the way when the side windows are open, so I looked my Ody over to see what made this happen.

There is a little door stop located in the lower door channel that a little lever hits when the window is down, so instead of trying to modify the lever, I removed the door stop.

I lifted the weather stripping to get better access to the bolts.

I used a 10mm 3/8” drive socket on a 6” extension with a universal joint between them to remove the two bolts holding the door stop in place.

Once removed I replaced the bolts into the holes, and replaced the weather stripping.

You will notice that there is a left and right side door stop. I will replace them before selling this van.....MANY years in the future so I will mark them and put them in a bag in my toolbox....

Total time spent: 15 Minutes.

See photos below.

Here is my Ody with the middle seats removed as I was Soctch Guarding the Carpet, but see how the door does NOT open all the way with the window rolled down?? This is a "Design Feature" from Honda.... and has been discussed in many threads here.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a bottom view of the door slider (the top of it has the NO STEP symblol on it...

you can see th lever hitting the door stop.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Top view of the door stop with the weather stripping pulled back to make access easyer.

I dont think I would have had to lift the wetherstripping to remove the bolts....... but it makes it easyer...

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Left Side door stop with two retaining bolts removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Left and right side door stops.

The one on the left came from the left side of my Ody and the one on the right came from the right side of my Ody.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a view of where the door stops came from.

the weather stripping is pulled back to aid in viewing.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the same area with the bolts replaced in the holes so I wont loose them...

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
where's the pic with the doors all the way open with windows down? :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm headed to HomeDepot for a universal joint!
Thanks for the detailed breakdown of this easy fix to an annoying problem.

Now, Mind you don't decapitate yourself, Morticai!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may not need the universal joint but it makes it easyer...

I did not think of taking a photo with the windows down and the door all the way open, as I wanted to finish putiing down the Scoth Guard....

I am a Safety NUT, so I will just flame myself...

Flame on....

KS, YOU sir are an IDIOT!!!!! Sombody could put thieir head out the window and the door could come open, and decapitate them!!!!!!!!!

PUT the door stops back in NOW!!!!!!!

Flame off.....

BTW if I had kids, I would not have removed these anoying little door stops.....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
KiteSquid said:
I am a Safety NUT
No, you're not, or you wouldn't have done this stupid thing. Just because you cannot imagine how an accident of the sort the stops are designed to prevent might occur while the van is owned by you doesn't mean it won't happen.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wouldn't a decapitation be impossible anyway.

Aren't the doors designed to stop if they meet any resistence anyway so that a decapitation would be impossible?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am pretty certain that they doors only stop/reverse when the they encounter resistance as they are closing.

Based upon my experience they don't stop/reverse during opening. I pushed against the door while it was opening and I was not able to get it to stop.

EDIT/CORRECTION: After reading a later post and doing a test, the doors do reverse when encountering resistance while opening .

However, their is no pinch sensor on the rear edge of the door (as there is on the front edge). A light push on your part will reverse the door. However, if you allow it to push against you gradually and you gradually increase how much you push back against the door, you will find that it will continue to open even when you apply tremendous pressure (to the point that I feared burning out the motor or bending a component of the opener). This may be because the door is designed to overcome gravity when opening the door while the van is parked downhill.

This is what I did originally because I was trying to see how much resistance would reverse the door. It made it appear to me that the door does not reverse while opening.

In regards to KiteSquid's mod, a head or neck sticking through the window might not give the door the push it needs to auto reverse. The resistance may develop slowly and the door may squish the head or neck in a not so good way.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Nice work. Though I don't think I'm going to do this for fear of pinching a little arm sometime in the future.

One of the annoyances is that you can't fully open the rear door if you've already remotely opened the windows to let the air out. One way around, at least if some cases and if you have the forethought... I've found that you can open the doors by remote first, and THEN still open the four windows by holding down "unlock".

·
Registered
507 Posts
big_mosquito said:
I am pretty certain that they doors only stop/reverse when the they encounter resistance as they are closing.

Based upon my experience they don't stop/reverse during opening. I pushed against the door while it was opening and I was not able to get it to stop.

Hmm, so the question then is - Do they stop due to resistance, or only from the pinch strips? There are no pinch strips on the rear edge of the doors, so if the latter, then there's nothing to tell the doors to stop if they hit something while opening.

What if the doors hit something immobile while opening? Are we screwed?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Mine is Silver/Grey but don't go by the photos.

Too many variables...

Poor lighting, poor imaging, poor camera man... well you get the idea.

To see the real colors, go to the dealership....

·
Registered
53 Posts
OdyBahn said:
Hmm, so the question then is - Do they stop due to resistance, or only from the pinch strips? There are no pinch strips on the rear edge of the doors, so if the latter, then there's nothing to tell the doors to stop if they hit something while opening.

What if the doors hit something immobile while opening? Are we screwed?
You are screwed. The doors will draw power from the engine and roll the windows up to assist in removing the offending appendage until the door is completely open.

Just kidding.

On my '05, if the door encounters resistance while opening it will stop and reverse. It's not enough force to break any healthy bones but it is enough force to leave a mark or possibly a bruise.

Note also that even when fully open, there should be space for an arm or leg to hang out without pinching. A head would get the squeeze before the door retracts, however.

Paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
I stand corrected and as Paul stated the doors do reverse when encountering resistance while opening.

But there is more to the story. As OdyBahn stated, their is no pinch sensor on the rear edge of the door (as there is on the front edge). A quick, firm push on your part will reverse the door. However, if you allow it to push against you gradually and you gradually increase how much you push back against the door, you will find that it will continue to open even when you apply tremendous pressure (to the point that I feared burning out the motor or bending a component of the opener). This may be because the door is designed to overcome gravity when opening the door while the van is parked downhill.

This is what I did originally because I was trying to see how much resistance would reverse the door. It made it appear to me that the door does not reverse while opening.

In regards to KiteSquid's mod, a head or neck sticking through the window might not give the door the push it needs to auto reverse. The resistance may develop slowly and the door may squish the head or neck in a not so good way. I won't be making the mod as I have young kids.

·
Registered
134 Posts
KiteSquid said:
I did not like the way the side doors do not open all the way when the side windows are open, so I looked my Ody over to see what made this happen.
<snip!>
This is a "Design Feature" from Honda.... and has been discussed in many threads here.
Nice mod, but I guess I don't understand why you don't just open the doors with the windows closed and roll them down afterward?

;)

strider

1 - 20 of 37 Posts