Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drives the Ody normally. She has now reported this to me on at least two separate occasions. The other night she had turned off the car and removed the key, but had not yet exited because she was on the phone. After some amount of time (30 secs?) the doors locked by themselves!

Of course when she went to exit the alarm went off. We considered that she may have bumped the remote in her pocket, except that while she was talking to me (about the alarm...:) ) it happened again! And this time the key fob was in her hand so it could not have been bumped accidentally!

Anyone else have this happen, or have any ideas??? :confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check your owners manual. Doors automatically re-lock themselves after some period of time if a door hasn't been opened.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
BRB said:
Check your owners manual. Doors automatically re-lock themselves after some period of time if a door hasn't been opened.
Sounds like the car was started and shut off, the doors should not lock by themself. Only time its suppose to lock after time is, when you unlock the door and don't open any doors, then they will auto lock.
swonuke4, sounds like its time to go visit you dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen. Just so happens I'll be in at the dealer on Monday for regular service and replacement of one of the Captain's Chairs Leather (is that LATCH button the poorest excuse for engineering or what... like I can't find a big hunk of metal between the seats..:rolleyes: ). I'll have them look at it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a similar experience.

I had parked the van,
gotten out and closed the driver's door,
opened the driver's side slider,

While I was getting something from the driver's side, second-row seat, all of the locks engaged.

The slider was still open though.

Is this a problem?

·
Registered
378 Posts
While I was getting something from the driver's side, second-row seat, all of the locks engaged.
All the locks except for the open slider door locks because that is not possible because electrical connection is "broken" w/ the door opened... but I hear what your saying, the other 3 locks will engage..

These door lock/passive alarm systems sure are wacky and do some funny stuff at times!

Passive alarm = locks automatically and arms the alarm

Non- Passive = has to be set manually via "remote" and will not arm/lock automatically

Its not usually the system that is faulty, but rather the operator that is doing something in an "unfashionable order"...

The owners manual does not accurately describe the functions, but plain and simple... Door locks will lock/arm when the system does not see that a door has been opened.. ( FCC issued limited frequencies and this function should be understood, for those of you that know why, please feel free to enlighten those who do not understand)...

oh...back to plain and simple...

Understand the system and Lock/Unlock doors at the considered "normal" times..., "unlocking" when parked in garage talking on the cell phone for 20 minutes, and "locking" when getting the groceries out of the cargo area is not considered "normal" in the eyes of a passive locking/alarm system..

Lock doors when all your business in the vehicle is all done and you are "abandoning" the vehicle for any amount of time... This theory makes life a whole lot easier for you and that smart little passive locking system....

·
Registered
561 Posts
Not sure about the rest of all that, but I do know that if I unlock the doors with the remote, but take too long to open a door, the van will lock the doors again and set the alarm again. Then I have to push the button again to unlock everything. A little annoying, but if one of the kids gets a hold of the remote and unlocks the doors (but not open the sliders), I don't have to worry about the van being "accidently" being left unlocked, which is actually a good thing. Still annoying, but good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a problem with the "lock" button sticking on my remote. I have to give the remote a gentle twist to get the button to pop back out, only then will the other functions work with the remote.

·
Registered
261 Posts
dlh2 said:
I have a problem with the "lock" button sticking on my remote. I have to give the remote a gentle twist to get the button to pop back out, only then will the other functions work with the remote.
I have the same sticking problem on one of my remotes. I told that to my dealer and they gave me a new one (I had yet to program it). The van still under waranty, so I guess the remote is covered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem in August with my 2002 EXL. I was camping in Jasper, Alberta. The weather was rainy and cool, and the van doors were open a lot. The van started locking itself every few seconds. Even when it was locked with the doors closed, I could hear it trying to lock itself again and again. Nothing on the remote worked. I could unlock the door with the key, but it would immediately lock again when the door was open. Sometimes it would lock itself so fast I had to hold the key in the unlock position to get the door open. I was worried it would run the battery down while I was in a remote area.

Very frustrating and many comments of "piece of crap".

Finally after several hours, it stopped and hasn't happened again. I attribute it to the wet weather and having the doors open a lot. I never took it to the dealer because it looks like an intermittant problem he would not be able to find.

Any suggestions?????

·
Registered
561 Posts
Condensation in the alarm box? Open doors and wet, humid weather could have contributed to the problem. Hubby had a Geo that every time it rained, consensation built up in the distrubutor cap and wouldn't start until you cranked it enough times to "dry" it out. Thankfully, he didn't have any battery problems. It kinda sounds like something electrical got wet. Do you know where the alarm box is? Maybe you could still have the dealer check it out to be sure it's not a short in the box itself. At least you'll know then if it's covered under warrenty.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Even when it was locked with the doors closed, I could hear it trying to lock itself again and again
That problem is caused from a faulty or mis-aligned "door lock actuator"... sometimes this condition also occurs when driving the vehicle over bumpy surfaces...

Damage to the door latch assembly's will also mis-align that actuator.. This happens when the door is closed with an an obstruction in the way such as the seatbelt....

·
Registered
24 Posts
it automatically locks itself ask your dealer about it or try going inside the van turn on the ignition then turn it off then wait inside the car and see if it locks by itself

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 2001 Sienna with a dealer added security system. Once the engine stopped, if the alarm was not enabled within 10 minutes, it would arm itself. Maybe you have a similar type system.

My wife went to load somethings into the sliding area. Unlocked with the remote and while she was loading, the doors locked. When she closed the sliding door, the alarm sounded. Twas a mystery until couple weeks ago when we were at the Winchester, Va Library for a couple hours.

Came out after dark, and the sliding door was wide open and the van was locked. Did some investigation and found, contrary to what the owner's manual says, that the doors WILL lock when either or both of the sliding doors are open. Must have been open for quite a while but fortunately nothing was missing. We are from Florida, so the Van had everything we travelled with, including Golf equipment and presents for family back home.

Took it to the Honda dealer there in Winchester who eventually verified my findings. I was told there was a fix out for this problem involving the changing out of the door sensors. But he had to order in parts. I was leaving the next day so I still have the problem. In the meantime I turn off the switch that allows the doors to work by remote.

Whoda (Wishes he had a Honda dealer closer that 60 miles away.

·
Registered
378 Posts
whodathought1...

Are you reffering to a Honda Odyssey or your Toyota Sienna??

Your post is totally confusing me since Ody's don't have door sensors for door locks and also do not have a switch to disable remotes on the "lock/unlock" side....

·
Registered
239 Posts
MY old 99' Ody had the dealer installed alarm, the alarm's manual stated that it has a button on the alarm module to switch between passive and active alarm. I found the button and tried it out. The passive alarm was that it will automatically armed the van if the engine was shut off, the key removed and (may be, I am not sure now, the door was opened and shut again).
I moved the button so that I decided when to arm the van by pressing the key fob.
However, the 02' Ody factory installed alarm does not have that passive option. I think only the dealer installed alarm has.
But I never missed that annoying passive option though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're right the post was confusing. Plain as day when I wrote it, just after I posted it, it changed to confusing. ;-)

The first paragraph was for the Sienna. The remainder dealt with my 2001 Ody. Whether they are call sensor's or whatever, the mechanic pointed to the metal round objects on the sliding door posts.

The switch to deactivate the remote from operating the sliding doors resides just above the open/close switches in front of the driver's seat.

Sorry about the confusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think my problem had anything to do with the doors being open or closed. When the problem occurred, I tried opening and closing each of the doors several times. The problem continued with the doors locking continuously when each of the doors were open or closed. Then after several hours the problem stopped.

I think the wet weather caused a problem with a contact somewhere, and confused either the sensors on the van for the remote control or the alarm system. All the van doors were open a lot in the rain because our cooler (and beer) and food supplies were kept in the van. . . .

I think I will take the advice about taking the van into the dealer so the problem is documented if it happens again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I understood what you were telling me from the first post Randy...

Some Honda vehicles have had that very same problem of the door locks continually try to lock themselves regardless if the door is opened or closed... I believe 94 Accords even had a TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) on it...

It may have been attributed to the wet condition,beer or rain!:p, I guess if it isnt acting up now, then there isn't much to worry about...

·
Registered
255 Posts
RandyS said:
I think the wet weather caused a problem with a contact somewhere, and confused either the sensors on the van for the remote control or the alarm system.
Did you check the brass pins where the sliding door meets the jamb? I think there are 6 or so. My dealer told me to clean them with a pencil eraser every now and then to prevent problems. He said they see dirty contacts often. If they are very dirty, some fine sandpaper or a brillo pad/steel wool should work. Could be that they got wet from the rain and caused a short or bad connection. Let me know if this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts