Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I just bought a used 2004 EX and decided to upgrade the head unit to something with inputs and built in bluetooth. I settled on a single DIN Axxera 7600 from Crutchfield. I also purchased the
Metra kit to hook up the steering wheel controls.

After about 2 hours wiring and soldering and another hour of installing, I got super frustrated because the mounting kit Crutchfield sent won't click into place like it is supposed to. I wish I had read the reviews on their site and on this forum because this is a regular issue. I also was not happy that the head unit does not support voice dialing. Why bother having built in bluetooth if you have to look away from the road and fumble with dials to call someone?

I did a little research and found that there is no mounting kit which secures a head unit, either single or double DIN, like the factory brackets. They are all cheap plastic. I have read on this forum how people have managed to use the factory brackets with single DIN units. Has anyone had any luck with securely mounting a double DIN? This JVC stereo is the one I am considering. Since it is narrower than the factory unit, what did you use to fill the gaps?

·
Registered
355 Posts
The factory brackets will work the best and they bolt right up to the new radio. As for the width, just leaven the trim ring on the face of the new radio and it will fill the opening perfectly. You may have to move the brackets slightly forward on the radio to do this but it will look better with the trim on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do most double DIN head units have the holes which line up with the factory brackets or will I have to do some drilling. I ended up going with the Pioneer FH-P8000BT. I'll give an update and pictures next week (if all goes smoothly).

·
Registered
665 Posts
At worst, you spend a little time drilling a hole somewhere. But, to answer your question every radio I've ever installed in a car I was able to use factory bracket slightly modified to fit the car and thus make the install look like a stock radio install. Sometimes, you have to use the universal bracket in conjunction with this. But other than that, its a pretty simple install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Pioneer installed really nicely. The holes on the unit lined up with the factory bracket as planned so no drilling was required. I used Metra 95-7801 Double DIN kit but only used a trim piece to fill the small gap. I also used the Metra 70-1721 wiring harness.

I really like how this Pioneer unit looks like it belongs in the car. It is not recessed, nor does it stick way out. The sound is phenomenal as well! Now I just have to get the steering wheel controls programmed properly. I am hoping to have the volume keys doing their job and have the center button be used to initiate voice dialing. I'll give an update with how it goes.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts