Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently noticed that my shift lever will not go into D3, D2, D1. It has no problems with reverse, neutral or D4. Has anyone ever heard of others having this problem and/or have any idea's about this kind of problem. Thanks.

------------------
MANNY

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
When shifting from Park, as long as you pull the lever toward the steering wheel, it's designed to prevent travel past D4. To shift to D3 or lower, release the lever toward the dashboard and pull straight down.

Not realizing that Honda's design was different, some people naturally released the lever too soon, allowing an easy shift all the way to D3. This caused a lot of reviewers and owners to report that the shift detents are weak. They're not, it's just that Honda used an unusual design.

Once you get used to it, it works very well -- it's just different than other manufacturers.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

·
Registered
188 Posts
To shift from D4 to D3, just pull down on the lever (not towards you), to go between D3 and the lower gears, you have to pull the lever toward you for each change. Hope this helps.

Druce

·
Registered
354 Posts
Manny,

At about 4K miles (on my way home from Florida) the tranny started acting up. When I stopped, it would often downshift to second instead of first, so when I started off, It felt like a kid learning to drive a stick. I tried to manually downshift, and that's when I realized that I qalso could not move the gearshift past D4. Honda replaced the tranny. No problems since.

I recommend you take yours right back to the dealer.

BTW, I have 20K now.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bobf58 (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
When shifting from Park, as long as you pull the lever toward the steering wheel, it's designed to prevent travel past D4. To shift to D3 or lower, release the lever toward the dashboard and pull straight down.

Not realizing that Honda's design was different, some people naturally released the lever too soon, allowing an easy shift all the way to D3. This caused a lot of reviewers and owners to report that the shift detents are weak. They're not, it's just that Honda used an unusual design.

Once you get used to it, it works very well -- it's just different than other manufacturers.

</font>
This is good to know. I've read a number of statements here on the shifting problem but I've not noticed that my friends have had any trouble with their Ody. They slap the lever around between park and D4 with no problems, noises, or aggravations.

Actually, the shift pattern isn't that unusual when you think about it. If the Ody had a floor mounted shifter, no one would think twice about this. It's just not that obvious with a colume shift.

Be Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That shifter was a real sleeper for me; I thought I'd never get used to it. I wondered why the hell they designed it that way. The shape, travel and detents are all a little strange. Now after using it a while, I wouldn't change a thing.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-20-2001).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well folks, I appreciate all the comments. It turned out to be as simple as releasing the shift lever to its natural position and then shifting down to D3 etc...who would of thunk! That's what I get for driving a standard all my life. Thanks again.

------------------
MANNY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts