Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if you are willing to downsize from Ody to 12' Honda CRV or consider adding CRV to family(when you already have ody). I am interested in CRV. It might be more for my wife. I might even consider it myself. I am not sure if CRV can all that "duty". I can buy small trailer to do light duty:).

I am intrigued for it (LX) price and um..space. You dont miss much from LX to EX maybe 17' wheels, Fogs and sunroof. We don't need it. 12' Honda CRV is pretty affordable at LX price.

One thing that bother me. 12' Honda CRV EX L has 328 watts sound system standard and 12' Honda Ody EX-L has over 200 watts.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Funny, I did the exact opposite. Went from a 2002 Odyssey to a 2008 CRV now back to a 2010 Odyssey. Just the wife and I but we were used to the utility and comfort of a van. The CRV was a beast (about 4000lbs loaded) with no low end grunt for passing. Even with the seats down, there wasn't enough room to load even half the stuff I normally load for the boys out of town studies. The quality of the interior materials, sound system and assembly were better on the CRV though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. Interesting to see how people come back to van after owning suv. I see how people brought honda pilot and they miss van gas mileage. I check fuelly.com on Honda Pilot Ouch no thanks. I am liking features ex: pandora radio and size on 12' CRV.

I have ford focus and it has been big help in tight space around city and driving narrow road to cottage in mountain. I knew we have to keep ody for hauling and housework. Look like we need to keep one small and full size in family. Maybe Two ody for a while. My wife is kind of tough on her ody. I might let her keep until...

Right now I am enjoying my free ride ford focus before it s get replaced. Honda ody is one stop for me instead of buying truck or something fun and sporty until you find it useless.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was just gonna start a thread re: '12 CRV.. lol

anyway it looks like it has a lot of stuff as standard (back up cam, pandora, iMID).. The butt though is kinda big. Does it actually widen the cargo? I'll probably drive it when I'm due for my oil change.

I too came from '08 CRV and my wife told me that the steering for the CRV was too heavy fo her, also the ride was NOT smooth.. BUT I've read edmunds review saying now its smooth & refined.. Hope someone here test drive it and post some real world driving experience. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should create new thread about '12 crv. No doubt that people want to learn about more about '12 Crv. Some may miss this thread. Since this site got redesigned. I miss or didn't see new thread:frown:.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Eh no. I'll just put some info's here if I have some. :) One thing for sure I'll miss tho is HID. If would buy the new CR-v I'll definitely retro it..

They offer pearl white---sweet!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Yes?

Awesome? Another reason why we want one.

Some owner are already waiting for "12 crv pearl white.

I was thinking "Giving it ody up for Crv" seems to be a lot. It s more like "Giving up cow for goat to get milk and meats". I don't know.

I might see small savings, benefit or none.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
ya to me the styling is a bit Kia sorento, and like the comentator said, the back is Volvo XC90.

I absolutely hate how they put those huge white/green stripes in the gauge cluster, I find the small ECO light in the Odyssey irritating, I can't imagine having those things.

Plus, I personally would much prefer to have a Wagon, than an SUV in this class. I do agree that the selection in the USA for wagons isn't very good, I'm also bummed the TSX Wagon doesn't have the available V6 the sedan has.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We went to new car show few weeks back. We sat in new Crv. I am disappointed. I didn't realize how small or narrow it is. I just don't know what specific word that i can use other than small or narrow. I feel like i am sitting too close to my wife. My wife like New Crv. I did sit in back of Crv. Front seat need to move forward just a little bit. Yea, I am not that short:). Venza and Pruis V does better in those area: openness and spacious interior(my opinion).

We don't see anything that we really like other than ody. We decided to keep our van. Car search is driving me nuts:)

Our Selection with wagon definitely sucks here.

You are in luck. New Acura RDX will have V6.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am wondering if you are willing to downsize from Ody to 12' Honda CRV or consider adding CRV to family(when you already have ody). I am interested in CRV. It might be more for my wife. I might even consider it myself. I am not sure if CRV can all that "duty". I can buy small trailer to do light duty:).
My wife and I used to drive a BMW 325i before we had kids. When our first child arrived, we needed two cars and bought a CRV (2008), which we thought was bigger than the BMW and would be good enough for two kids. However when we have two kids, we find that once you put two car seats in the back seat, plus a stroller, the CRV can no longer take another passenger, and the stroller cut down the storage space in the back. We also have two car seats in the BMW. Thus, despite owning two cars, if we drive both cars, we can only take one more passenger. While this is not a major problem for us, it may be for those who have parents and in-laws who love to visit regularly.

Finally we decided that the BMW had to go as it was older and the least useful and required expensive yearly repairs. We first looked at big SUVs such as a Highlander, which besides having three rows of seats, does not seem to feel any bigger than the CRV upfront for the driver. With the third row up, there is no room for storage. The advantage of the Odyssey in size was apparent the moment we sat down. Just this weekend, we were able to go out as a family plus two adult visitors, all comfortably in the same car.

Thus, I think the main issue is how often you need to carry additional passengers and whether the back seats are always occupied by car seats. I think each 4+ family can be benefited by a van (not so much so by a large SUV) and for the second car, you can shop around with fuel efficiency as top priority. Besides small SUVs, such as CRV and RAV4, you may want to also consider the Mazda 5, which can sit six with sliding doors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know that I am a bit "late" to this party, but as I'm interested in the CR-V as compared to the Ody, this thread caught my attention. So far, I have only sat in the vehicles at a couple of car shows. Yeah, there is a comfort difference, not to mention the HUGE difference in storage and cup holders you get in the Ody vs CR-V, but that is the benefit of a minivan. I never thought I would seriously be looking at a minivan again, but once you get used to the comfort and the space, it is hard to give those up.

The CR-V reminds me of the Civic we bought, and there are a lot of things I love about the Civic.

Yeah, there is a difference in width between the two. My wife used to drive a Venza, and when we rode in that vehicle, I used to feel like she was in the next county compared to the Civic, and now my Rav4. The Ody is similar, but if you like the space, then I can definitely see someone buying the Ody.

I will be test driving both of these vehicles in the near future. I'm actually hoping that the Ody gives me a great driving experience, at least over the '08 Town and Country I used to own. But, I don't know if I want to give up the MPG to go to a van again. Not to mention the extra cost of the Ody vs the CR-V. Luckily, I don't have to make that decision today. But I am intrigued by both vehicles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts