Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 center console for my 07 Odyssey. I removed the folded OEM tray. Now I need to mount the new console to the floor. The back two holes are easy. I mounted to the cross bar between two seats with a half inch self tapping screws. When I try to fasten the front two holes, I found that there is about 1 1/2 inches of padding (or something) before reaching the metal body. Is it ok the make two holes there? From the location, it doesn't look like there is any mechanical component there but I'm afraid that I drill over some electrical wires. Great thanks to all.

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
It's good that you are thinking ahead before drilling into the floor.

Will the new console cover the mounting points? If so, maybe you could cut away a small piece of the carpet and underpadding around the mounting location to make sure there is nothing there that could be damaged. If you use spacers equal to the thickness of the carpet, the console may also be more solid.

Also, check on the under side of the floor for brake or fuel lines.

·
Administrator
14,502 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly, I do not have a lot of heavy duty tools like welder. I'm trying not to buy new tools for this DIY. :)

1. I took out OEM tray. Just be patient to remove or pull out front and back rail covers first.
http://ogtest.businessmarketingsystems.net/files/images/DSC05348.JPG
http://ogtest.businessmarketingsystems.net/files/images/DSC05347.JPG

2. I bought a 2011 front center console for $100.00. I cut the side to make way for the three screw from the passenger seat.
http://ogtest.businessmarketingsystems.net/files/images/DSC05351.JPG

3. I used the half inches self tapping screws for the back
http://ogtest.businessmarketingsystems.net/files/images/DSC05346.JPG
http://ogtest.businessmarketingsystems.net/files/images/DSC05349.JPG
http://ogtest.businessmarketingsystems.net/files/images/DSC05350.JPG

4. Following is what is look like without the two front screws
http://ogtest.businessmarketingsystems.net/files/images/DSC05352.JPG
http://ogtest.businessmarketingsystems.net/files/images/DSC05353.JPG

When I tried to do the front two, I used a nail to measure the depth and I also found the depth is different between the passenger and driver side. The passenger side is about 1.5 inches so for the screw will be 2 inches. but the driver side is only 1". My question is can drill there? If not what can I do to secure the front part?

Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was considering doing this too. How is the color match between the 2007 and the 2011 ?

I agree withh davedrivesody that cutting out a small piece of carpet and padding to see whats underneath is a good plan.

Probably be good to get underneath the van and inspect but usually they run the sensitive stuff under the frame rails rather than down the center. Could be an exhaust pipe there too.

If you can't drill through the metal with 1.5 inches you could probably glue down a piece of wood, plastic or rubber and screw into that.

Great project.

·
Registered
194 Posts
tlhong, i can tell you from past experiences with doing other car installs, the padding you are seeing are very typical. they are placed there to absorb noise and vibration. those screws you have probably won't be long enough. what you should do is first mark the holes with a felt marker, and then using a sharp knife, cut a 2" slit straight thru the carpet and padding. get flat head screwdriver to dig thru the carpet + padding and make sure you are down to the metal floor.

Here is the most important part, if you are to screw straight thru the bottom floor of the car, 1) make sure there are no fuel lines, brake lines, electrical wires under the vehicle, and 2) by screwing thru the floor and if the hole reaches outside, there stand a good chance the hole and screw will rust in a years time. so you may want o put some touch up paint on any exposed metal area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was considering doing this too. How is the color match between the 2007 and the 2011 ?
I think my interior color is ivory and the console is marked as tan. The color is matching up pretty good. You have to pay attention and look to see the different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tlhong, i can tell you from past experiences with doing other car installs, the padding you are seeing are very typical. they are placed there to absorb noise and vibration. those screws you have probably won't be long enough.
Those two screws are barely reached to the metal part on the back two holes. Lucky me. Anyway, that is not the problem. I really don't want to cut throw the carpet and paddings cause if something really down there, I can't put the carpet back to the original. Then wife will not let me mess with the car again. :).

I will try to see whether there is other swallow place that I can tab a screws around that area. I just need a screw to hold the front so it doesn't shake whenever someone put a soda into back cup holder.

Will report later if I found something.

·
Registered
193 Posts
2) by screwing thru the floor and if the hole reaches outside, there stand a good chance the hole and screw will rust in a years time. so you may want o put some touch up paint on any exposed metal area.
I think a generous application of silicon caulk from the outside would be even better.

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Those two screws are barely reached to the metal part on the back two holes. Lucky me. Anyway, that is not the problem. I really don't want to cut throw the carpet and paddings cause if something really down there, I can't put the carpet back to the original. Then wife will not let me mess with the car again. :).

I will try to see whether there is other swallow place that I can tab a screws around that area. I just need a screw to hold the front so it doesn't shake whenever someone put a soda into back cup holder.

Will report later if I found something.
I can understand that you don't want to cut or drill any holes that can be permanent, but one big problem people don't consider is any kind of large and heavy objects can become projectiles in a car accident. If you get into a wreck, making couple of holes are the least of your worries. I use to build and install subwoofer boxes and car stereos, and I have kids coming to me with their hatchbacks and not wanting to bolt the box down. I tell them that it can be very dangerous if they get into a crash. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw that txaggie. Your post inspire me to do this. But I think if I can remove the tray that is "snap-on" it will be easier for me to load long object, not that I do that ever. :). Beside, I could not find the right angle plate that you have that is strong enough and I don't have a welder.

Finally, here is what I have modified and secure the under tray to the floor without doing a lot holes.

1. I get a 1.5" x 1/8 (thickness) aluminum. cut it to 16 5/16" long. blend both 1" end to 90 degree. Push it between two seat and screw that on to the foot of two seat.

2. Then I use the same short self-tapping bolt to fasten the front of the tray to aluminum bar.

Cautionary Notes:
1. On driver side, it is easier to remove the right seat trim so you can remove the lower side trim. There is a screw in the back holding it. Don't pull it too hard.
2. when fasten the plate to the driver side leg, don't block the hole for the clip.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice idea with the aluminum piece! Instead of sheet metal screws, you could use nuts and bolts which might get a tighter fit on the aluminum which would minimize your movement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Typical new guy digging up old threads. I really like this, i've found this console on ebay and was thinking of doing this. Why did you remove the plastic trim covering the hinge on the right seat??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts