Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all those thinking 'Drip, Drip, Drip' cannot happen to you.... It has to me.

Our '02 Ody has about 200 miles on it, and is dripping a couple times every time it parks, it seems. I haven't slid under it, but it is VERY clear that it is coming off the oil pan, by visual examination.

So I checked the oil, since I've obviously lost some. It is about 50% above the full mark(that is, take 50% of the space between 'add' and 'full' and add that to 'full'. Has anyone else seen this?

Anyone know where the engine block VIN is, in case I got 'overmyheadcam's engine?

Anyone else checked your oil as it came from the dealer? Is it yellow, as new dino oil would be, or clear, as the 'special' oil might be. Did my dealer change my 'special' oil in favor of Valvoline and overshoot, or is my engine adding something to the oil...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry to hear about the drip. I would take it right back to the dealer and have them make sure the correct amount of oil is in the engine. Overfiled oil can do damage to various seals. Perhaps oil is being forced past a seal somewhere and that is what you are seeing as a drip.

When we picked up our 2002 in October, I checked all the fluids. The engine oil was right at the "full" mark, but I really did not pay attention to color. I seem to remember that it looked normal to me and I've been working on cars (recreationally, not professionally) for over 20 years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Overfilled oil is not good, but would be your best outcome.
As newodyman said check your other fluids.

If you are down on antifreeze or think thats what you are seeing under the car and in the oil, You have a very serious problem.

I heard a bad head gasket or cracked block that lets antifreeze into the oil pan can do serious damage to seals and berings in a very short amount of time. I wouldn't even drive it if this were the case.

Oh yea, One of the first things I did was to check fluids. My oil was dead on the full mark, with what I thought was a normal color. What I did notice was the coolent expansion-tank fluid level was near the low mark.

[This message has been edited by kapusta (edited 03-08-2002).]

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I didn't check all the fluids when I got the van. Kinda figured it was part of the 'dealer prep'!
I just now drained enough oil out to just reach the full mark. Now I can clearly see if it goes up or down.
Notably, it didn't have any drips on the oil pan. Maybe it was only temporary. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Drip? not yet but it is wet with oil

Well I just looked under the engine of my 02 EX-L and there it is (with less than 1000 miles) the bottom part of the engine/tranny area is wet with oil.

Oil level is good though.

So back to the dealer this weekend.

Wait a minute, did I buy and Grand Caravan or Honda Odyssey? It said Oddysey on the rear hatch, it looks like an Odyssey but somehow it acts like a Grand Caravan.

Sigh. . . .

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am somewhat happy to report I have not had any drippings since I drained a half-quart out of the engine. I'm still gonna keep an eye on it, and will get the dealer to look around under there at the first service.

I might point out that the first incident also was noticed after the van had been left idling for 20 minutes. Maybe that had something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
No drip or drips from my 02 with just over 3K miles. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it starts. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts