Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

in last weeks I have noticed some oil drips on our driveway. Looks like it comes somewhere next to the radiator.

I just lifted the car, there is some dirt reddish oil underneath. I took a few pictures, probably someone will be able to identify this part.

The car is 2012 Honda Odyssey. I checked all fluids, looks fine.

From underneath:

From the top:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
red fluid would indicate your ATF cooler lines.

make sure you keep your ATF oil level up until its repaired.

its a replaceable item but not super easy to do.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,921 Posts
Do you have stuff that looks like that elsewhere on your car? Corrosion looking like that? It looks very strange to me.

So I'll throw this out there to consider ... I don't even know if it applies to this generation, as unfortunately my 2011 has been too reliable :ROFLMAO: .

But on my '99, the passenger side engine mount (up near the power steering pump) would leak odd-looking orange-rust-colored fluid when it tore. Those photos remind me of that on my '99 more than anything else I've seen on these cars. So is there any chance it could be originating from an engine mount? And if so, is that (the front one, I assume) engine mount similarly filled with orange fluid (BTW, nobody knows the answer unless they've seen it - don't bother asking the dealer this one)? Or is it very easily explained by normal corrosion on your car?

Reactions: Yavne

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
red fluid would indicate your ATF cooler lines.

make sure you keep your ATF oil level up until its repaired.

its a replaceable item but not super easy to do.
Seconded. Looks like ATF cooler hard pipes that bolt to the radiator. Seems to be fairly common in the rust belt.

While you are at it, start protecting the rest of the van with something to slow/stop that rust or you won't have a van left to drive in a few years...

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Living in the rust belt, I always keep cans of this in the garage and spray anything under the hood or undercarriage that I see corroding.

bit of a oily mess, but it pays off with avoided and unnecessary repairs due to corrosion.

It's also possible that the rubber hose or rusty clamp is the cause, which would be an easy fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seconded. Looks like ATF cooler hard pipes that bolt to the radiator. Seems to be fairly common in the rust belt.

While you are at it, start protecting the rest of the van with something to slow/stop that rust or you won't have a van left to drive in a few years...

-Charlie
thanks guys! I bought this van in 2015, and did “10 years” undercoating. Assume it doesn’t really protect for 10 years...

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
BTW, any chance it’s a power steering fluid?
Highly unlikely. Honda power steering fluid is clear and the closest power steering hose to that area is in front of the radiator, not behind where you leak is.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
thanks guys! I bought this van in 2015, and did “10 years” undercoating. Assume it doesn’t really protect for 10 years...
since you're in Canada, you have Rust Check coat and protect, Krown T40 or Corrosion Free Formula 3000 from Canadian Tire.
All contenders in the battle against corrosion.
research paper on it by the Canadian Military.

when people tell me they have those electronic rust prevention boxes.
I try hard not to laugh.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,289 Posts
when people tell me they have those electronic rust prevention boxes.
I try hard not to laugh.
You show more restraint than I do - I just go ahead and laugh at them.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
its been the topic of endless debate among the "un"informed at work.

sacrificial anode and cathodic rust protection in commercial and marine applications is a proven technology and method for corrosion prevention.

Those 3-500 dollar plastic junk boxes from the dealer, are not those.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is this part? Do I need to replace it? I believe dealer would love to replace it, question if it makes sense/necessary to replace?

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
Dealer wants $463 CAD + tax to replace these cooler lines...
Sounds about right. Parts are something like $100, but labor is a killer.

As others have said, that other part you circled is the front motor mount. That's 'just a little rust' and hopefully doesn't need to get changed... Those are $500 (US) each, plus labor!

-Charlie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
motor mount
I don't really trust the dealer... How can I know if the motor mount should be replaced?
It's not the first time I'm going to dealer, and during the inspection they suggest to replace another parts... "if we're already doing this work, we recommend to replace this part as well..."

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
I don't really trust the dealer... How can I know if the motor mount should be replaced?
It's not the first time I'm going to dealer, and during the inspection they suggest to replace another parts... "if we're already doing this work, we recommend to replace this part as well..."
Generally, you'll hear clunking when shifting gears or have other signs of excessive engine movement when the van is in "ECO" mode (2 or 3 cylinders disabled by the VCM system).

Speaking of which, I'm surprised nobody has commented that you should install a VCM disabling device to save you from future engine damage (and engine mount wear)...

-Charlie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts