Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from Pumpkin Center, CA!

After changing over to Synthetic 5W20 oil after 81000 trouble free miles, my 2002 EX-L has sprung a slow leak at the Rear Main that has resulted in dripping on the exhaust down pipe.

I changed back to conventional 20W50 along with a new OEM filter and poured in Stop Leak for Good measure.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
According to a mechanics magazine I read, 70% of
Engine wear occurs at start up, and 10w 40 was already
too thick and heavy.

Maybe you should properly troubleshoot the leak itself:
bad seal, bad gasket, retorque bolts, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why did you use 20W50? The only engines I used Castrol GTX20W50 were in my 1972 Mercedes Benz 280SE and my FD RX7 with a rotary engine. That stuff is thick like honey compared to 5W20

Howdy from Pumpkin Center, CA!

After changing over to Synthetic 5W20 oil after 81000 trouble free miles, my 2002 EX-L has sprung a slow leak at the Rear Main that has resulted in dripping on the exhaust down pipe.

I changed back to conventional 20W50 along with a new OEM filter and poured in Stop Leak for Good measure.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 20/50 has been in the motor for only 50 miles. It's not a problem to drain it out and re-fill again with a conventional 5W20 or 10w40. I chose a thicker oil to and stop leak for the purpose of stopping the leak.

The leak 2000 miles after the change to synthetic is the issue here, not the 20/50!

Has anyone else had a rear main leak after switching to synthetic?

Has anyone used stop leak?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, I had the same problem after I had a brain fart and put synthetic in at 80,000+. Never should be done since it usually results in leaks. Solution was to replace the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, oil pump gasket, and a few others that I forget at the moment. Basically every damn gasket started leaking. Good thing my mechanic is also a friend so it didn't cost me too much. Now I can run 0W20 with no leaks at all.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Synthetic is "slicker" for lack of better terms and softens the seals, which isn't a bad thing. The problem comes from when the motor is older and the seals are worn. The conventional oil junks in the cracks and keeps it from leaking. When you add synthetic is cleans the gunk and slips past the cracks to leak. Its not an uncommon thing :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Yes Doctor, I am.:)

Thanks for your Psychiatric evaluation.
Going thicker to stop leaks is so 1979. Modern synthetics have additives to help prevent leaks. A seal leaking was going to happen anyways. Fix it and don't blow up the motor pouring tar into it to prevent a leak. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is interesting...

I purchased Pennzoil Platinum 5 w 20 synthetic to use at my next change, thinking to perhaps gain 1-2 mpg... Maybe I'd better return it and just get conventional!:eek: Last thing I want is an oil leak!

Regards,
Shea:)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
This is interesting...

I purchased Pennzoil Platinum 5 w 20 synthetic to use at my next change, thinking to perhaps gain 1-2 mpg... Maybe I'd better return it and just get conventional!:eek: Last thing I want is an oil leak!

Regards,
Shea:)
I use the same and three years later no leaks.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Hmm, the last oil change for the Ody (120k+) and Civic (220k) I put syth in for the 1st time. Hopefully I don't get any leaks. I guess I should look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts