Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace the the driver's side drive shaft / axle on my 2001 Odyssey EX (162K & original transmission)

I've found the following choices for the replacement axle. Any feedback or thoughts on any of these would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, the OEM parts speak for themselves. Recommendations on other/better options would be appreciated as well.

Majestic Honda

New - $311.28, Remanufactured - $143.47

Bernardi Honda

New - $334.29, Remanufactured - $229.07 w/ $75.00 core

RockAuto

AWPI - $41.79
Cardone (new) - $45.79 (listed as one of their most popular parts)
EMPI - $60.79
A-1 Cardone (remanufactured) - $51.79 w/ $50.00 core (not sure why the remanufactured is more than the new)

AutoZone

Duralast (remanufactured) - $58.99 w/ $50.00 core

Advance

GSP - $69.99

NAPA

NAPA (remanufactured) - $53.99
NAPA (new) - $92.69
Ultra-8 (new) - $89.99

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Seeing this is a mechanical part I would have no problem going with an aftermarket rebuilt. I can't see how anyone could sell a new one for close to $40 though. I really like Rockauto, but do you have to send the old one back? I think I'd buy local for this so you can compare new and old at the store.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just curious if you did this yourself or took it in to a shop. If you did it yourself was it as simple as pulling the old axle out of the trans or was there more to it? Im still looking for a write up right now.

Also, how did you know that you needed a new axle versus a wheel bearing? I'm hearing noises every time I stop and I know it's not the brakes since I just did them and the noise didn't change. I also did the front bearings a while ago. Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
On my 4Runner I bought MasterPro Select (new, no core required) for $70, it's sold by O'reilly. I could not ignore the 4X price difference compared to OEM. After almost a year it's working fine. I'm going to replace the passenger side axle on my Odyssey soon with the same brand. It sometimes makes the clicking noise when turning but the boot is fine, so I'm assuming the CV joint is worn out.

What's wrong with yours and how do you know it's the CV axle?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up not doing anything on this. When I replaced my front shocks & springs, the noises I suspected as axle problems went away. I guess I will wait for some real symptoms before digging into the axles.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I can't see how anyone could sell a new one for close to $40 though. I really like Rockauto, but do you have to send the old one back?
I bought new Cardone select axles from Rock Auto; there was no core charge and I did not have to send back my old axles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts