Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding that the driver's seat... Where I enter and exit the car is already looking quite worn. I have about 7600 miles on the car but a lot of the miles were long trips. I have conditioned the front seat leather two or three times since I bought it at the end of May. I'll post a pic later. Anyone else think their seat looks pretty worn yet?

Anyone know if the bottom cushion if the seat can be easily replace? Any ideas on cost. I'm taking the car in for some other issues on Monday or Tuesday so I plan to mention it then.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Known issue with Honda leather. Big thread and many small ones for the prior gen too. Dealer will replace only in bumper to bumper warranty but with the same crappy leather.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My drivers seat is looking a bit worn as well, one spot that looks like a scratch which was there since either day one or day two. I can't say for sure if it was there when I took delivery, it may have been. And now there is what looks like either a small hole or black spot on the seat. My wife and I are very careful with the car and we never have things in our back pockets. All my previous cars seats have been fine with my wife and I, but the Ody seat bottom looks like it will not last.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm NOT SAYING anyone here is FAT but I wonder if the driver's weight has any correlation to premature wear?

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I'm NOT SAYING anyone here is FAT but I wonder if the driver's weight has any correlation to premature wear?
Nope. Its crappy leather period.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well.. I'm a 5'10" woman who weighs less than the average 50 percentile male. So... if it is weight... then I don't know what an appropriate weight or what weight they designed the car to withstand. My husband who also drives the car on the weekends is 6'2" and weighs more than I do but he is quite lean...and muscular... no extra fat on him.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now we need a how to clean the leather of spilled drinks thread. :D
No problem... I have a great leather cleaner and conditioner;).

·
Banned
80 Posts
Well.. I'm a 5'10" woman who weighs less than the average 50 percentile male. So... if it is weight... then I don't know what an appropriate weight or what weight they designed the car to withstand. My husband who also drives the car on the weekends is 6'2" and weighs more than I do but he is quite lean...and muscular... no extra fat on him.
I am 6.3, 210lb very well built, handsome, have a...... wait, am I in right forum? Wow, almost forgot we were talking about Honda cars here. lol.
BTW: Honda does have crappy leather, all Japanese cars do :) unfortunately :(

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am 6.3, 210lb very well built, handsome, have a...... wait, am I in right forum? Wow, almost forgot we were talking about Honda cars here. lol.
I wasn't the one who asked;).

Anyway, is this common in luxury Japanese cars like Lexus and Infiniti too or just the regular models? As I mentioned earlier... I wish they offered a leatherette that could be ordered instead. One that feels real anough but lats forever. Since the car is designed for kids/families... I need to to hold up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Call it OCD but I lift my ass up avoiding the friction. Do that and your seats will last forever. I have a 20 year old leather integra and by avoiding friction, you will be rewarded with beauty. I'm sure it will work with an odyssey. hehe.

·
Banned
80 Posts
I wasn't the one who asked;).

Anyway, is this common in luxury Japanese cars like Lexus and Infiniti too or just the regular models? As I mentioned earlier... I wish they offered a leatherette that could be ordered instead. One that feels real anough but lats forever. Since the car is designed for kids/families... I need to to hold up.
For starters your 3rd. row is 100% leatherette. Leatherette is nowhere near as durable as leather, it will crack and rip much sooner then a real leather. Unlike European cars Japanese use lower quality leather which shows signs of wear much sooner. The only thing you can do is condition it with something like "Leather Honey". I use it on all my leather things and it really works and makes old leather look new again. Word of caution! for light interiors you must try it on a small inconspicuous area before doing the whole seat as it may darken the color especially worn out parts.
Here: Amazon.com: Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the Best Leather Conditioner Since 1968, 16 oz Bottle: Home & Garden

·
Registered
400 Posts
^^Haha!! 4'9 & weighs 400lbs.. Hahaha!!

Honda leather in general are not that good..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For starters your 3rd. row is 100% leatherette. Leatherette is nowhere near as durable as leather, it will crack and rip much sooner then a real leather. Unlike European cars Japanese use lower quality leather which shows signs of wear much sooner. The only thing you can do is condition it with something like "Leather Honey". I use it on all my leather things and it really works and makes old leather look new again. Word of caution! for light interiors you must try it on a small inconspicuous area before doing the whole seat as it may darken the color especially worn out parts.
Here: Amazon.com: Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the Best Leather Conditioner Since 1968, 16 oz Bottle: Home & Garden
Have you ever seen Mercedes Benz MB Tex... that stuff lasts forever.. short of slicing it... you can do no wrong. Plus it feels great too. I know the 3rd row is leatherette... and I thought parts of the other seats too.. maybe the backs... but I don't use the 3rd row much.

I do condition it with a great condition/cleaning system... Leather Master. It's supposed to create a barrier to protect the seat form stains like from jeans etc and to help with wear. I've applied the system three times in the three months I've owned it.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Have you ever seen Mercedes Benz MB Tex... that stuff lasts forever.. short of slicing it... you can do no wrong. Plus it feels great too. I know the 3rd row is leatherette... and I thought parts of the other seats too.. maybe the backs... but I don't use the 3rd row much.

I do condition it with a great condition/cleaning system... Leather Master. It's supposed to create a barrier to protect the seat form stains like from jeans etc and to help with wear. I've applied the system three times in the three months I've owned it.
I have and I have also seen it fail on BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes's.

You are correct parts of our leather seats are covered with leatherette, basically where your back or butt doesn't touch including the arm rests.

Careful with those leather cleaners. You take natural moisture away from leather every time you clean it thus making it age faster. I'd say once every 6 months should be good enough.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have and I have also seen it fail on BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes's.

You are correct parts of our leather seats are covered with leatherette, basically where your back or butt doesn't touch including the arm rests.

Careful with those leather cleaners. You take natural moisture away from leather every time you clean it thus making it age faster. I'd say once every 6 months should be good enough.
We wil have to agree to disagree. My parent's own a mercedes dealership and I haven't seen a recent problem with MB Tex. There were a few shaky years... maybe in the late 90's... but I haven't see the recent or current problem have problems. I'm sure someone.. some where has had a problem.. though I doubt it at 7800 miles.

The product I use creates a barrier on the top of the leather to protect it. When it is then cleaned with their cleaner it doesn't strip away at the leather itself. Also, I've read (as recently as last night) that wiping with just water can be rehydrating to the leather and that having dirt on the leather causes it to wear faster so frequent wipe-dows are beneficial. Just as dirt on the paint isn't good for it either. The wisdom with regard to leather is that you should maintain it rather than try to fix it later.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Call it OCD but I lift my ass up avoiding the friction. Do that and your seats will last forever. I have a 20 year old leather integra and by avoiding friction, you will be rewarded with beauty. I'm sure it will work with an odyssey. hehe.

HAHA, nice, that's what I do too! I thought I was the only one.
The wife treats the minivan exit like a slip'n'slide so fat chance of preserving the seat.

I read that somewhere
I use my tongue to replenish the moisture in the seats

1 - 20 of 34 Posts