Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back of the driver's side seat in my 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L has come apart on the left side. It has some long plastic part that looks like it clips the side together. I can kind of see what it should look like by looking at the other side, but I am afraid to try to look at it too closely for fear I will pull the other side off.

I have tried to Google every term I can think of to see if I can find a diagram or instructions. Either I am not using the correct terminology or I am the first person to ask this question.

Does anyone have any help or advice? The dealer outsources this work and the bid I got seems pretty high considering no additional parts are needed.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about as I have the same issue. For me, both sides of that piece have pulled out so it looks like the back of the seat has a nice leather cape flapping around :(

I tried to put it all back together a couple of weeks ago and thought I had it snugged up pretty well, but then a couple days later it popped back out and I haven't had the time and/or patience to try putting it back together again.

From what I can tell there isn't anything ripped or broken on it, just have the find a way to get it all to pop back into place.

I'm not sure how it occured initially, but I'm guessing one of the kids were pushing on it firmly with their feet or something...though noone is owning up to it so far...

I'm interested in hearing how you make out. When I decide to tackle it again I'll post my results.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yup, that looks just like mine (even the same color) except like I mentioned, mine is pulled out on both sides of the seat.

·
Registered
854 Posts
This happened on my '05 front passenger seat. IIRC, the dealer "fixed" it a couple of times but the condition reappeared almost as soon as the seat was touched!

It runs in my mind that eventually I put it together myself, crimping it as best as possible, and then stayed away from the seat back pocket. It then stayed together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess is that it should be relatively simple. My recollection in our last Odyssey (2004) was that this actually had zippers. I believe that removing the back is necessary for any seat repairs (e.g. heated seats). If they replaced the zippers with this mechanism, I have to believe that getting it back to the original configuration can be done.

My worry (and this board confirms it) is that unless the person fixing it actually knows how to do it, it will simply come apart again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It looks like it uses the plastic channel to lock the seat cover in place. If that is the case, just grab the back cover and pull it tight to put it back on. You can't break anything on a seat cover. They are meant to be stretched and can take the abuse. Just look on both surfaces and see how they should go together.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Join me to the club .. I have the same problem with my 2006. The dealer replaced the "clips" on the seat cover but the problem reoccurs every now and then, specially if you grab something from the seat-back pocket. I've learned to just reattach the long plastic channel as tight as I can and tell my kids to be gentle when they reach to grab the headsets which are usually stored in the pocket. The clip will snap into position fairly easy. Maybe we can use some kind of adhesive to keep the channel locked into place ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can kind of see how to attach it from looking on the other side, but I am having difficulty stretching it on and sliding the clip at the same time. I have sworn that if I can attach it I will make sure no one ever uses it again. I can use some sort of adhesive if all else fails.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My friend has this problem. Honda changed the seat upholstry to another design with the 2008 - 2010 version of the van.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to work in a factory that made seats...those plastic edges are commonly called J-strips. I haven't looked at this particular cover, but usually you have to "twist the two edges around each other", so to speak, to get them to interlock correctly. As long as the plastic edges haven't been over-flexed and deformed, if you do it right they should hook up tight and be hard to undo again. It can be a real exercise in hand strength; flat blade screwdrivers or putty knives are sometimes helpful.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Is this how one is supposed to gain access to the seat? I'm asking because my lumbar support just broke today and after reading this thread I'm afraid of opening it up. It sounds like I could probably fix it once I see whats wrong, but if I'm going to have this seat seam problem forever, I'm not sure what I'll do. Any thoughts??:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. The plastic J-strips must be disconnected and the plastic headrest post holders removed, then the whole cover will slide off (this is called "de-gloving").

First remove the headrest. Then stick a flat blade screwdriver into the middle of the J-strip connection and twist them apart, be gentle and try to damage them as little as possible. They're soft plastic so it's inevitable that you'll leave some marks. Finally, reach up inside the cover and squeeze the bottom of each headrest post holder. They simply clip into the metal seat frame using two opposing halves that are springy and have a barb on them.

The seat foam rests on the front of the seat frame and hugs on the sides, so once the cover is removed the foam will lift right off, no additional tools required. At this point the metal frame and lumbar assembly will be exposed and you should be able to identify the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is my update:

I decided to have the seat repaired. We took it to the shop the dealer recommends for the upholstery work and I am pleased with the outcome. Since we still had all the parts, we had to pay for only an hour of labor ($85).

In addition to fixing the side, I also needed attach the bottom part of the leather. I could kind of see how to attach it from the other side, which was intact, but I was afraid I would break the plastic piece or rip the leather with my ineptitude.

The shop told me they would fix it again if it ever came apart, but we are trying to be gentle with it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So I'm having the same problem and I'm trying to put the seat back together. The "J-Channel" has two sides, one with a longer edge than the other, which way does it go?

Also is the method to put the seat vinyl in the j-channel and then force it onto the clip on the seat itself? Or is there another method?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts