Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Honda Odyssey Touring

Today when picking up the kids from school my driver's side door suddenly doesn't respond to my buttons to make it close. It doesn't even beep or move at all when pushing buttons or trying the latch.

I pulled over and figured I would just switch it to manual using the switch by the steering wheel and slide it closed.

Door will not budge.

I've tried disconnecting the battery, I've tried pulling fuses.

The cable seems to be slack.

The door will not move forward. You can push it back a little and then pull it forward and then it just stops and won't move any further.

Doesn't seem to be the middle roller that I can tell.

Seems to actually be that the latch is not releasing on the bottom roller?

Passenger Door works perfectly

I've tried looking up stuff and no one seems to describe the same problem or none of their solutions are working for me. :(

I really need to at least get the door to shut!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like your door motor spool or motor have failed. You can try turning off the door via dash switch and then try pulling the door to open then close then open until it moves. The other option is to remove the inner panel and release the tension tabs to release the cables. You can also try resetting the doors via the #7 fuse under the driver's side for 15 minutes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Cable seems to be jammed right here.

Anyone have any idea as to how a single person with no shop tools might be able to get it unjammed?

I dont' seem to be able to just take the door off since it won't move and I can't get to the screws for the bracket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't know if I can deal with removing any of the inner panels In the car. I have the tail light off and the panel that covers the track.

Right now I really just need to be able to get hte door to close but I don't want to end up costing myself more money that I don't have by cutting the cable. Is there a way to release it without damaging it for future use?

The door won't close because the cable is jammed in that roller it looks like. Or it is that for some reason the bracket for the roller is not sitting flat like it does on the other side.

Right now I really just need the door to at least CLOSE so that the vehicle isn't open to the elements and undrivable. :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Support the door from the bottom and remove the two 12mm bolts that are attached to the door. Then you can un hook the cables, re attach and slid door closed. You could also remove the bolts and with the door support carry it to the closed position. Last resort or easiest is to cut the cable and close the door.

·
Registered
574 Posts
With the sliding door button turned off, have a 2nd person lift the door bottom up (supporting the door weight) while you try to pull it forward to un-jam it.

There is a reason why it is jammed. You likely lost the door stopper which is the soft black rubber piece located in the rear corner on top of the door opening.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Or it could be jammed because of a missing roller. From your picture, it looks like the closest roller is missing like in my picture. I used this link in the 2nd Gen Forum to fix the rollers on my '99 and '02, and also on my brother's '07. I found the nylon rollers at both Lowes and Home Depot.
Since the thread is long, you can also check my web page for a shorter illustrated synopsis.

You might be able to close your door... from the back edge of the door, pull up to release some weight off of the roller. Try to close the door. You may have to push the door a bit toward/away from the body to help it slide closed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was indeed the roller. One was missing and the other one was bent.

My son leaning on the door when I picked him up in carline probably did the door that was already having problems in.

Because the bracket could not sit flush and stay flush in the track we couldn't move the door.

I had to get around to getting the tire jack out, jacking up the door and removing the bracket and then walking the door closed while I wait for the replacement part to get here.

I was going to delete this thread since the problem is resolved (as far as I know) but I can't find the option to. 😅

·
Registered
89 Posts
It was indeed the roller. One was missing and the other one was bent.

View attachment 152782

My son leaning on the door when I picked him up in carline probably did the door that was already having problems in.

Because the bracket could not sit flush and stay flush in the track we couldn't move the door.

I had to get around to getting the tire jack out, jacking up the door and removing the bracket and then walking the door closed while I wait for the replacement part to get here.

I was going to delete this thread since the problem is resolved (as far as I know) but I can't find the option to.
Glad it worked out and please don't delete the thread as the knowledge learned can be shared in the future.

·
Registered
402 Posts
😊
Glad to hear that it was the roller. So much easier to repair/replace that rather than messing with the motor or cutting the cables!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I DID have enough slack in the cables to install the roller but SOMEHOW when the part finally got here and I went to install it the cables have moved and now the rear cable (by the tail light) is too far back and won't give me any slack.

Is there anyway to get slack in the rear cable without having to take the inside panel off?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you accidentally run the motor while it was out? It happened to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you accidentally run the motor while it was out? It happened to me.

It is entirely possible. I have kids that don't listen when I tell them NOT to do things. :rolleyes:

I was hoping there was some way to get some slack without having to take out all the seats and take the interior panel off. I tried the whole reset thing but that didn't seem to give me any slack.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try just leaving the switch off and pull the cable. This makes it manual and each cable should move freely. If not then you may have a bound up spool from is pulling back without resistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts