Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we're all excited now to be getting our Odyssey. It should be arriving in April sometime. As time goes by, I'm beginning to get a little nervous. I have never driven a van before and I'll be the one to drive it. I currently have a Ford Taurus and previously drove a 2-door Nissan Sentra. My husband is inheriting the Taurus due to my doing most of the driving with my daughter and carting more things around for work. Is this going to be an adjustment or what?! I keep hearing this van has "car-like" handling, but I'm still a little nervous about fitting into places and manuvering like I'm used to. I'd love to hear from anyone that has done the big switch and their expereinces at the beginning.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It does drive like a car. Near hydro-planing seems to happen a bit but I think this may be due to the tires.

The most notable things I have noticed is due to the large size and height of the vehicle, I tend to overcompensate when backing up or parking in general.

[This message has been edited by 2002EXODY (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
We got our van last year and it was a first for me and my wife. We previously owned Volvos and found them easy to place and park due to their square shapes. Not to frighten you but my wife tore the side off our Ody on her second drive!!!!. I installed front and rear sensors to help with parking aswell as a parking pole on the front and a mirror over the rear window so that we can see right down to the ground behind the van aswell as listening to sensors when we were 50cm from an out of view object. They have really helped but the best advice I can give is, this is a big car and in my mind doesn't handle or park like a car. Therefore I recommed that you take parking, manovering that little bit slower than you normally would in a car.
Hope this has helped a little.
All the best,
Seamus

·
Registered
35 Posts
I made the exact transition in October (99 Taurus to 2002 Ody). You'll be fine. My only complaint is that with the way my car seats are positioned, my line of vision out the passenger side of my car is not what I would like it to be -- I feel like I need to check a million times to be sure I can change lanes. The handling has been great --in fact, we have the DOHC engine in the Taurus and the Ody engine seems a little more peppy. It took me a few days to adapt to the different positioning of the controls and when I first started parking it, I often didn't pull far enough into parking spots b/c the front is so much shorter. I still don't like not seeing right behind me, but that was true with a Crown Vic I rented once and that thing drove like a sofa.
Hope this helps. You'll love it!! BTW, my husband drives the Taurus now.

Carrie

·
Registered
134 Posts
It would be a whole lot easier to back up my Ody if the glass were not tinted (especially at night even with superbright backup lamps). Also easier to check for lane changes and easer to see in rain and fog. I guess I'm just a light freak. Driving and parking is no big deal compared the big fat Intrepid I was driving. (My old Sentra fits anywhere though. Biggest problem so far is the Garage. 1.5 inches on either side of the Mirrors. I do like that once it is in the garage, you can easily get out of the van through any door. My Intrepid fit in the garage, but the doors were so huge you could not get out of the car.

I recommend a blind spot mirror on the drivers side (any suggestions?). Maybe one on the passenger side mirror post or A-pillar but that might be too far to see. Also one of those Fresnel lense stick on things for the back window that let you see down and to the sides. I'm going to cut the bottom third off mine and mount it as low as possible on the window. Anybody know where to get these besides JC Whitney?

Seamus, I'm interested in your mirror over your back window. Any details? I think honda should put a CRX-like glass panel on the lower tailgate.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's a matter of perception. In a car, your rear window is a few in front of the bumper. In a van, the bumper is directly below the rear window. You have to get used to the fact that your rear window will be much closer to where you are backing up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ken W:
Biggest problem so far is the Garage. 1.5 inches on either side of the Mirrors
</font>
That's pretty tight -- how wide are your garage doors? I'm curious because I'm about to clean the garage out and plan to keep the Ody there when we get it.

------------------
'02 MB EXL-RES on order... woo!

·
Registered
10 Posts
In reply to Kens inquiry about the back window mirror.
Here is a link to Hondas Japaese page for Lagreat options page.

http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/automobiles/lagreat/exterior.html
It retails here for 12,000 yen which is about 100 US.
At first I found it awkard to use/look at but with a bit of use it is now proving invaluable.
Not one minivan in Japan is without it probably due to the fact of very tight roads and parking spaces and also its alot cheaper than parking sensors and front/rear cameras (also option on Lagreats).
Probably this mirror along with the front parking pole alone should be all anyone needs.
Thanks,
Seamus

·
Registered
861 Posts
LOL...I drive my Ody like I drive my race Civic...fast and hard!
the only thing you really need to make sure is that the kids are strapped in as well as all the toys

this thing handles great! and my wife, who was used to small cars said she would NEVER trade the size for anything

------------------
Owner:
1991 Honda Civic SiR: B16A DOHC VTEC powered visit at: http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000 Honda Odyssey LX: Wings West body kit, H&R springs, visit at: http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991 Honda Civic Basemodel: Bolt on mods, winter car, visit at: http://trickedodyssey.8m.com/91civicbase.html

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

Need speed? Need a Tricked Odyssey? www.pri-racing.com

Come join the Tricked Odyssey list today!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trickedodyssey

·
Registered
286 Posts
Normal driving on the road just like a car. Slow speed movements are helped by a short turning radius. Main problem will be backing, and I have particular problems at night. You do not have the same visibility to the back as with most vehicles. I recommend the stick-on lens for the rear window, and they are available at Pep Boys. I have been considering brighter backup bulbs and was disappointed to hear one opinion that they do not help much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seamus:
In reply to Kens inquiry about the back window mirror.
Here is a link to Hondas Japaese page for Lagreat options page.
</font>
On a recent trip to Korea, I noticed every minivan, SUV and truck had a mirror like this. Dunno if it's the law there, or what. I've only seen it once in Canada -- in fact it looks quite out of place. Probably like the standard 3rd high-mounted brakelight looks to some other countries...

Can somebody tell me what "LAGREAT" is, I thought it was a nickname for somebody's Ody -- obviously it isn't if the accessories are on the JP Honda site...

[This message has been edited by banner (edited 02-14-2002).]

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by banner:
Can somebody tell me what "LAGREAT" is, I thought it was a nickname for somebody's Ody -- obviously it isn't if the accessories are on the JP Honda site...

[This message has been edited by banner (edited 02-14-2002).]
</font>
Check out the LINKS section.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
134 Posts
Junior Samples, My garage doors are the standard 8 footers. But the opening is 7 foot 10.5 inches because of the seal mouldings. I just pulled the Ody in to accurately measure. Ive got 2 and 3/4 on either side. I guess it just seemed tighter because its my new car. Still, its much tighter fit than even my 57 chevy. I think I'll fold the driver mirror before parking it.

Thanks for the link to the window mirror, Seamus. I wouldn't mind trying one if I could find one. I'll bet that really helps with paralel parking. One more reason I'm really glad I don't live in Boston anymore.

nds, brighter backups are better than nothing. But I sure wish the rear windows were not tinted, or at least that you could raise the tailgate window. Backing up a boat trailer at night is gonna suck. It was quite easy with my dad's 92 Grandpa Caravan which he got without tint (even with the poor turning radius). Maybe I'll mount a set of aircraft landing lights on the roof rack over the tailgate.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
108 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I have been considering brighter backup bulbs and was disappointed to hear one opinion that they do not help much.</font>
I got a '01 EX with a trailer hitch (honda). I'm think of installing on the passenger side of the hitch an old fog light I never installed to be a backup light. I could use hose clamps to attach the fog light to the hitch and use a relay to turn the fog light on with power coming directly from the battery. Plus I'll install an overide switch inside when I don't want it coming on.

I like to install a fog brake light on the driver side of the hitch but I can't find one. Can someone point me to a place where I can find one? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Saltygarfy (edited 02-14-2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
The Ody is a GREAT vehicle for around town as well as being the perfect road trip vehicle. I bounce back and forth from my SE-R to the Ody with zero problems. The Ody handles and drives like a sedan.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seamus-chan, genki? I lived in norther Japan for 3 years and I saw lots of the back up mirrors you are talking about. In fact a van was out of place if it didn't have one!

[This message has been edited by 2002EXODY (edited 02-14-2002).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Check out the LINKS section.

-Nestor
</font>
Thanks! I didn't think ( to look there...)

So, LAGREAT is the name for the current N.A. ODY style in Japan? What is the meaning/translation?

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by banner:
Thanks! I didn't think ( to look there...)

So, LAGREAT is the name for the current N.A. ODY style in Japan? What is the meaning/translation?

</font>
Good question. Dunno really?

Maybe...

LA = Large. It's the largest van Honda offers over there.
GREAT = Well, it's the top of the line Honda minivan. Has the most luxury. I guess that's consider "great".

Just a guess,
-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Japanese have a thing about using Western words--particularly French or English looking--as a design element, in advertising, and in logos. Often, but not always, the words are just a combination of letters that don't make sense in any language.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts