Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, guess while I'm posting reviews of stuff I've done to the Ody, I'll post this one up too!

I like our '06 Ody (EX-L with XM/Res/navi), but after having an '05 Tacoma, the lighting department is a bit lacking with this van! I decided to purchase driving lights for our van off Ebay, and for $85.00, I thought it wasn't bad at all since it came with harness and switch! I'll post some pics when I get a chance of the installed lights, but for now I'll just post my findings.

I found an installation guide for the official Honda kit and used that as a guide for the installation. Its a bit unnerving when there's 80 plus steps in the guide for installing them, but as an owner of a car audio shop back in the 80's/90's, its nothing too hard for me. Others who do not like wiring will not want to tackle this on their own!

So, starting out, I pulled the bumper off, which was a bit amusing since there's really only two 10mm bolts and two philips screws to hold it in, along with a few handfuls of plastic retainer clips, most of which broke.

Cutting is a pain in the butt, and you gotta cut a LOT away to get them to fit! I had to cut well past the black "cover" area and into the painted part of the bumper to get them to fit! They did screw into the stock area just fine, but fitment is not as good as I'd like to see in a kit. There's a good amount of space between the lights and the bumper, and because the stock mounting holes are used to secure the brackets, there's really no way to pull it in any closer to the bumper. I suppose longer screws and spacers could help, but there would be much more cutting to allow the light to be more recessed in the bumper.

wiring is not too bad, the kit came with a complete harness, and I just assumed it was copied from the OEM kit-NOT!!!

The install guide was pretty much useless after the light installation, so I just ended up wiring it the old fashioned way! I ended up having to extend the supplied wiring kit since it wasn't long enough to do what was necessary, and since I had to do that anyways, I decided to just run the +12V wire directly to the battery, as well as the wire to the lights. While there, I figured why not just run a third to the parking lights so I don't have to bother finding it under the dash? Easy enough since I went right past the parking light's harness on the driver's side.

Popped the switch into the dash, amazing enough it was a perfect fit! Plugged the harness into it, grounded the negative cable to a bolt under the dash, and wired the three cables coming in from the hood.

Everything works well, and foglights are on regardless of hi or low beams which I like, although this is sort of illegal in many states.

This kit came with blue bulbs, something I really hate, so I'll be replacing the lamps with some normal halogens, I suspect it will be even brighter once I do.

Overall, the kit was definitely worth the money and has added a decent amount of light up front, just what I expected from stock-like driving lights. I'll see if I can get some photos of them on at night. It took about 4 hours to finish, most of which was spent slowly trimming the first hole out of the bumper. Obviously, the second hole went MUCH faster since I knew how much to cut.

This is definitely not a reversible mod if you don't like the fitment or look of the lights without replacing the bumper cover, unless you don't mind having two large holes in them!

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, now that I've had the kit in for a while, thought I'd post an update.

We went on a road trip in July which had lots of nighttime driving, and I had a good opportunity to see what the fogs were able to do. In a nutshell, not as much as I initially though.

I'm not sure what the deal is, and I initially thought it was the bluish lamps that were supplied with the kit, but after changing them out with standard white halogen bulbs, I didn't really see any noticeable difference with lighting. The projection is definitely a flood and not a pencil or cornering type, and amount of light actually dispersed is really not very far, perhaps maybe only about 20 feet-if that!

Unfortunately, because they're mounted in such a way that it takes a lot of vibration from the bottom bumper, the bulbs have burned out twice now and I've retrofitted some led lamps into the housing just so I don't have to rip half the bumper off to replace them.

Overall, not worth the amount of work and time put into installing the kit. They are definitely bright when looking at them, even from a distance, but that's really all they're good for. Combined with the led lamps, they look very HID'ish. So, if you're after an HID look and nothing else, these will fit the bill for you!

Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
I realize this is an old post and hope you have is solved by now, but what is your experience with electrical? The reason I'm asking is that you may have just bought a junky wiring kit. Low gauge wiring, such as 10 is preferred for lighting as a higher gague (smaller wire) creates more resistance and ultimately a dimmer light. Upgrade your wiring and use a relay and you should find that the fogs are brighter. Also, It is important to consider mounting, aiming, and intended projection of the lights. If fitting into a stock location, mounting and aiming may be spelled out for you, but if you're looking for driving lights that project a great distance, you may be in for dissapointment if you bought fog lights or are mounting in fog locations that are intended to project boradly and with less distance.

s

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, its not the wiring, the kit is just not made for projecting light, its definitely made to flood light at the front bumper and that's about it. The reflector inside the unit is just not made to project a beam, plain and simple. And yes, I do have a relay for running the lights, and the 2nd set of lamps were Sylvania Silver Stars, so it wasn't just a cheap set of lamps either.

I was hoping to see a "line" of light on the ground, hoping that I could adjust the lamps upward to get a further throw, but there was none, just a soft flood on the ground about 5 feet out.

I don't have any experience with the OEM fogs on the Odyssey, so that may still be an option for those looking to add a bit more light for night driving, but I can say that this kit off ebay is not worth the hassle or money if one is looking for more light. It is, however, a perfect daytime running lamp option, or something to just give you the HID look, just drop some LED lamps in them and wire them as DRL's!

They also work well to illuminate a walkway at night when wired to the parking lights. Set the alarm, the fogs come one for a second, hit the button again and they stay on for approximately 30 seconds iirc, more than enough for us to get into our home when its pitch black outside and just enough to get the key in the door of the house!

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
Where's the pics, brah?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts