Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm just wondering if any of you other males drive an Odyssey as your primary everyday vehicle? I'm 35 years old but since I get off work before my wife I have to pick up our 3 kids from daycare and school (ages 1, 3, 6) I bought a used 2010 Odyssey since I needed a cheap reliable vehicle that has 3 rows. I cant stand driving a minivan as my only car if the kids aren't in the minivan, just feels weird. Is there anyone else that drives an Odyssey as thier primary car whos under the age of 40? I want to buy a used beater car just so I can drive it for my self but my wife thicks im thinking too much into it.

Thanks.

Joe.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Hi All,

I'm just wondering if any of you other males drive an Odyssey as your primary everyday vehicle? I'm 35 years old but since I get off work before my wife I have to pick up our 3 kids from daycare and school (ages 1, 3, 6) I bought a used 2010 Odyssey since I needed a cheap reliable vehicle that has 3 rows. I cant stand driving a minivan as my only car if the kids aren't in the minivan, just feels weird. Is there anyone else that drives an Odyssey as thier primary car whos under the age of 40? I want to buy a used beater car just so I can drive it for my self but my wife thicks im thinking too much into it.

Thanks.

Joe.
I don't currently, but I did at one point. I'm with you. For all of the positives of the vehicle, as a male in the current era of SUVs it's pretty near the bottom of my list of preferred daily drivers. At the same time, as a matter of efficiency and practicality, I'm with your wife. Suck it up lol. This too shall pass, and having an extra set of wheels in the driveway taking up space and cost rarely makes sense.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes she is correct you are thinking way to much into it. Im 35 .same as you 3 kids under 6y all boys they are crazy as hell .thats why mine looks like this . Have fun with the van customize it mod it have fun with it embrace it . Van life is the best life . I'd be more embarrassed if I had to buy a crappy beater car. But this is just my opinion .

·
Registered
531 Posts
Also have you muzzled the vcm ? If not do it asap like yesterday. Buy this if you have put together ikea furniture you can install it. Take 10m

·
Registered
118 Posts
I drive a 19 Odyssey EX-L daily and really enjoy it! But I’m twice your age Joe 😀 and I also use an 05 EX-L for my beater. Would definitely consider muzzling your ride if you haven’t already, that is of course if yours is an EX-L or above.

But, I still like my old rides too. Got a couple 66 Stangs I hope to get together someday, currently working on my daughter’s 66 Comet, it’s my therapy!

by the way, nice Ponchos 99ody

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tint your windows. Nobody can see you. Mine is black with tinted windows (I got it like that though). Looks pretty badass with bug and wind deflectors. A ghost ship. Given that it has plenty of power the acceleration is pretty good. So some ricers get surprised (especially in places where the lanes merge just after the traffic light).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Single male, late 50's. My Odyssey is my daily driver. I used to have a car & a pickup, but when I bought a motorhome 5 years ago I needed to get rid of a vehicle, so trading the car & truck for a minivan made the most sense. I suppose I could have kept the pickup instead, but I wanted something with a bit more car-like ride, and I do occasionally need seating for more than 2 people.

If anyone I know thinks I'm funny or uncool for driving a minivan, they've had the good sense to keep it to themselves. If anyone did make an issue of it, I'd tell them I'd be happy to drive whatever "cool" car they wanted to buy for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am pretty sure that the issue is not with "them thinking about you and what you drive" - nobody gives a damn really. The issue is about "you thinking what other might be thinking about you and what you drive". So the problem is really internal to you. You just need to fix that up there in your head.
Well, that is of course if you don't have so called "friends" that poke fun at you for driving a van. Drop these friends then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m 43 and I usually drive out 07. We liked the 07 so much we got an 18. Wife drives the 18 and I typically choose the 07 over my car (which is newer and sporty). I like the space, have 3 kids so it is nice. Dog likes to go places with us too. Plenty of room. Drives nice. Has over 200k miles but runs like a top. Other fun bit is I can take my road bike and load it right in and I don’t need a bike rack when I want to go ride my bike. We even renamed the 07 to the manivan.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I’m 43 and I usually drive out 07. We liked the 07 so much we got an 18. Wife drives the 18 and I typically choose the 07 over my car (which is newer and sporty). I like the space, have 3 kids so it is nice. Dog likes to go places with us too. Plenty of room. Drives nice. Has over 200k miles but runs like a top. Other fun bit is I can take my road bike and load it right in and I don’t need a bike rack when I want to go ride my bike. We even renamed the 07 to the manivan.

As a fellow cyclist the Ody is definitely better for putting the bike in the back compared to my MDX. I was reminded of that recently when I crashed and had to call the wife for SAG!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks.

Joe.
I do, I have a 2006, we have one son and I daily drive the Odyssey, my wife has a 2007 Toyota RAV4, she prefers to drive the Toyota, but prefers the odyssey for everything else. I love driving the Odyssey, it's extremely comfortable and I really don't care what other's may think of me.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
468 Posts
Hmm... I'm probably the youngest one here. I don't have a regular commute, as I took public transport to work before starting to work from home a few months ago. So yes, technically the Odyssey is my "primary" car, although I pretty much only drive on the weekends. Pretty much all the miles I put on the Odyssey are highway (road trip/day trip) miles, and I've been averaging about 21-22mpg as a result. The highway is where the Odyssey performs the best; around town, I much prefer driving my Camry (that is now primarily used by other members of my family since I bought the Odyssey). I'm all about being practical, and the Odyssey is the perfect weekend car. My friends/family definitely have an opinion on the minivan but a surprisingly large number of friends and family don't drive or have a car, so I don't think they really judge me too much since I end up driving them around most of the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have 3 kids? I think one person has already hinted to you that you already signed up for this, when he says, "embrace it". (I'm assuming here that you understand what's causing all the kids.) When you drive it, you look like a dad. You are a dad. Odyssey is a very safe vehicle. How would you feel if you bought an old beater, got rear-ended... etc.??

Take your kids camping in it. Throw away your old life. It won't come back unless you divorce, and in that case, your kids will eventually hate you for breaking up their family.

It is a means of transportation. If you are wrapped up in a vehicle to enhance your self-image or your public image, you have fallen victim to the marketing of the auto industry.

In a few years your kids will be scraping up your vehicle. You have 3 kids. Don't get attached to any of your stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m 42 and haul my 2 kids (7 and 10) as well as my 3 nephews to school everyday in our 2010. I mainly drive the Odyssey, but also have 3 other beaters depending what I’m doing. They include a 2006 Saturn Ion Redline, 1992 Toyota FJ80 Landcruiser and a 1981 Toyota 3/4 ton pickup. My wife drives a 2019 Pilot EX. I’ve owned around 40 cars at this point of pretty much every type, driving the odyssey doesn’t bother me a bit... a really handy vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks.

Joe.
I am 78 YO and I have been driving minivans since I retired at 57. My first one was a Ford and my next two were Honda Odyssey's. Your only problem is you are young and you care what other people think. This will change. When I bought my first mini, buddies would kid me about driving a minivan. Those same buddies would ask me to pick up a water heater, large screen TV, and other large items because they did not have a truck or a large enough vehicle to haul their stuff. My Honda is my truck and even my camper occasionally. You give up a lot when you are married and have kids, your responsibility now is for your family, later on, the kids will be gone and you can get your two-seat Porche unless you start hauling grandkids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 67,still working, and daily drive a 16' LX. Took the middle seats out, dropped the rears and mostly use it for stuff. It can hold a small kitchen's worth of cabinets. Love the driving position, it's quiet on the highway, where we've been getting 27-30mpg.It's a good momentum vehicle. Just ordered the muzzler

1 - 20 of 33 Posts