Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
question, how is this an upgrade since current LED technology isnt enough to truly replace a high beam in terms of distance and output?

im still struggling to find a proper solution to have both white DRL and white high beam to match the LED low-beams I have already

It's not really an upgrade for light visibility. It's really for looks.

The only way you're going to get a true high beam like your low beam would be to retrofit a Bi-Xenon projector where your current projector is and just the the DRL/high beam bulb as a DRL.

·
Registered
53 Posts
question, how is this an upgrade since current LED technology isnt enough to truly replace a high beam in terms of distance and output?
im still struggling to find a proper solution to have both white DRL and white high beam to match the LED low-beams I have already
I too wanted to get rid of the yellow/orange DRL and initially went with the early gen LED stuff. Even though the lamps at 1/2 power worked well as DRLs, at full power, they were no where near bright enough as high beams. I am currently using the XenonDepot 9005 headlight kit, (a little pricey) but am very pleased with there output.
9005 LED Headlight Kit | 9005 LED Upgrade
Here in urban So Cal, I rarely have a need for the high-beams, but when the high/low combination is on, there is a significant increase in illumination. Even during daylight, flashing the highs actually works.

Checkout the reviews at the bottom of this page: LED Headlight Lights | Philips LED Headlight bulbs
One is even from a fellow Odyclub member. I am not affiliated with xenondepot, just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's not really an upgrade for light visibility. It's really for looks.

The only way you're going to get a true high beam like your low beam would be to retrofit a Bi-Xenon projector where your current projector is and just the the DRL/high beam bulb as a DRL.
He is RIGHT, LED for the DRL is for looks, The Cool White appearance during the day is more appealing than the OEM yellow. The Flash the Pass option from the LED's is merely a flicker of light. Don't know if anyone will notice you. You can get the DRL canceller and throw some HID's in there Bulb type 9005 but if you don't have a projector in it... It will scatter the light and won't direct light to where you want it. Best solution is what NathanJax said, retrofit a projector inside the hi-beam area. LED replacement bulbs is the same way.. BRIGHT but not directed light. Also keep in mind the warm up for the HID to full power is a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
828 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you really want some good driving lights that are DOT/SAE legal install a set of these Rigid Industries DOT dually and you'll see the difference without the need for a retrofit. Now just gotta find a place to mount them. Details soon to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got these in from No Limit Automotive Solutions. Currently I have the DDMTuning 5k. Gonna replace with these 55k as from what I hear is that these bulbs are def brighter than what I have now. I will post pics when I'm done and share

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got these in from No Limit Automotive Solutions. Currently I have the DDMTuning 5k. Gonna replace with these 55k as from what I hear is that these bulbs are def brighter than what I have now. I will post pics when I'm done and share
Yes please post a pic. What did you do to your DDM HID bulb?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes please post a pic. What did you do to your DDM HID bulb?
I still have the DDM Bulbs, gonna test them against the Morimoto. I just need to find the right time to take pics so i can see the differences. From what i hear is that the 55w DDM should be okay with the new bulbs. The New Bulbs is what sets is apart from the DDM. I like my DDM, but only wish they were brighter. I shall see and then report back here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Added DDM Switchbacks along with Resistors: (3157 Switchback, 33 x 5630 Dual Color,) $40 bucks & 15 mins of your time.

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

Simple and Easy to do.

Resistors piggy back onto the BLACK & Green for the Passenger side, Driver is BLUE & Black but NOT the RED

Stock Amber Driver Side:

LED Passenger: (which will black in Amber)

Cleans up the look would do it again in a heartbeat. Also, if wanting to the do rears you ALSO need a resistor for each Bulb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems like it is kinda hard to reach the DRL/High beam bulb, do you guys just have very small hands or you guys have to take out the housing??

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It seems like it is kinda hard to reach the DRL/High beam bulb, do you guys just have very small hands or you guys have to take out the housing??

Driver side remove the intake piping

Passenger side move away the power steering reservoir. But remember to put it back in.

With these items removed and outta the way you have plenty of space.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Installed the morimoto LEDs the driver was easy but the passenger was was a little tight so my wife had to put the bulb on for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I noticed that your led bubs didn't have any heatsinks or fans to cool them. If you are using them as drl's, I'm pretty sure that you'll be replacing bulbs much sooner than what is claimed by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I noticed that your led bubs didn't have any heatsinks or fans to cool them. If you are using them as drl's, I'm pretty sure that you'll be replacing bulbs much sooner than what is claimed by the manufacturer.
These don't get super hot and have had any problems with this setup.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Finally got around to ADD LED rear AMBER turn signals, Also had to install resisters inline for the back, Easy to do.

Stock:

Installed:

No Night Shots yet but what a big difference from the yellow to clear in the daytime and obviously at night when turn sigs are ON.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
LEDs are BRIGHTER but the technology that go into our headlights aren't made to throw (distance) wise. HID's are better for this. The LED lights found in Rigid Lights, KC & Baja Designs are better since they use the housing as a projector. I have a 20" Rigid E2 combo on my truck and it's made for distance as well as a wide pattern. If you want quality HID's or Headlight conversions with the correct Projector contact Scott @ No Limit Automotive Solutions He will set you up with the Correct HID kit for your ODY. Don't waste your time on LED headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ignore DRL Warning

I replaced my high beams with [h=1]Halo Automotive Premium Fanless 9005 LED Conversion Kit - 40w 8,000Lm 6000K White CREE from Amazon[/h]
after I replaced the lights I am seeing the DRL sign on my dashboard.

I dont really care about DRL's - If I switch lights to "Off" position during daytime and "On" during night time would this be OK?
I would use the 9005's only for High beam if I need to (which is very rare).

Will it cause any problems if I leave the Halo 9005's for High beam and not use DRL ?

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you switch to "on", would the DLR turn off?

I don't recall now because i have external DLR and pulled the fuse for DLR

21 - 40 of 50 Posts