Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Droid mount for 2010?

6K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  whoa 
#1 ·
Just got my 2010 EXL, traded a 2000 EX w/ 256,000 miles.

Has anyone figured a great spot to place a mount for a Motorola Droid, the first one?

I had a vent clip that worked fair in the 2000, but that position on the new one is going to interfere with the radio and the heater.

Thanks

#5 ·
oh, i hear you!!!

i had to mount the gps higher on the windshield so i could use it :)

i originally had it mounted to the lower left corner of the windshield and it was pretty obvious it was tooooooooooo far.

joel

amfmnsam said:
Thanks for the info. The windshield is too far away from my reach. I am looking for something dash mounted.

#6 ·
that is nice.

i've used similar in the past in my forester.

i think i would prefer the mount on the left side though.

post a pic after you install!!!

joel

whoa said:
I'd go with bracketron. Best aftermarket bracket location for this generation of Odyssey I've seen so far.

http://www.bracketron.com/media/support/installation/HON-300-05.pdf

The dashboard bezel is fairly easy to remove so installation is quite simple. I have it and will install it next week.

#7 ·
Thanks for the link and info. Just called the supplier and they do not offer a custom solution that sits to the left of the center bezel. I do not want to reach that far. Nor do I want to look any farther to the right. The clock is a reach from driving position.

I too await your install and review.

#11 ·
Don't want stuff hanging from the windshield.

Has anyone tried an adhesive solution? The spot above the left center vent, below the volume knob looks good to me.

I am toying with the Arkon Sm416 or SM428.

Then I need to run the wires behind the faceplates.

Thanks for the link to Fuelly.

#12 · (Edited)
amfmnsam said:
Don't want stuff hanging from the windshield.

Has anyone tried an adhesive solution? The spot above the left center vent, below the volume knob looks good to me.

I am toying with the Arkon Sm416 or SM428.

Then I need to run the wires behind the faceplates.

Thanks for the link to Fuelly.
Any adhesive solution would be permanent imo. It'd have to be strong enough to withstand vibrations which means the glue will need to react to the surface of the plastic for it to take hold. If you're ok with it, then fine. But if you sell the van, then you will need to either leave it on, remove it and have some unsightly damage or replace the trim piece. This, to me, is not an option.

#16 ·
Just did an iPod/Aux adapter install and remember seeing it when researching that. I will most likely install a mount when my wife upgrades to an Android phone from her iPhone for Navigation use.

Now, I believe the standard Motorola Droid car dock has AMPS mounting, so it should be easy to fit it right to this. I'll check my Droid dock...

--Bill

#17 ·
bigbill25 said:
It looks like PanaVise has what you want:

http://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75117-605.pdf

It looks like it is more involved to install, including removing the radio, cutting some trim, and making your own screw holes...

--Bill
WARNING! I just received this mount, and, when using it with the Droid 2 dock, interferes with the shift knob! There just isn't enough room there...

This mount would work find for a smaller cell phone, but not a smart phone that will be in landscape orientation.

--Bill

#21 ·
I have an iPod classic mounted with the Panavise bracket and it works very well. I am using an iPod holder from ProClip that allows a power cord to be mounted inside the holder, which is very slick. I ran that cable behind the center dash down to the lower center console area. I installed a second 12v outlet inside the center console area and just tapped power from the existing 12v outlet. I also pulled audio feed from the same power cable (it's an older Belkin cable and has an audio jack build into the 12v plug) so I ran a small audio cable from it to the external audio jack. I started to hardwire the audio but then decided I really wanted to keep the audio "pluggable". This way when the kids are watching a movie on trips (no RES), I can unplug the iPod audio feed and plug in the laptop audio feed and I don't have to disconnect my iPod from the cradle to use it with headphones.

Sorry, I didn't take any photos when I did the install, but I could take a few to show what it looks like installed if anyone wants to see it.

I can certainly see how a larger device could interfere with the shift knob though. The mounted iPod does come pretty close to the shift knob when in Park, but I wouldn't say it's objectionable.

#24 ·
Here are pics of my install last week. It's one of the easiest mods I've done. Removing the bezel was a cinch and screwing the mount on was a no brainer. I had to file down the back of the bezel (circled in red) so that it snaps in nice and flush onto the dash. I'm ok with the location as the passenger will make changes on the GPS mid-journey. It's more of a reach for the driver but legislation has tightened up on what drivers are allowed to do anyway.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.