1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All.

GREAT FORUM !!!

Thanks for all the help in my previous posts. I have one more question:

I drive a 00 Honda Odyssey and will pick up my Coleman Mesa pop up trailer in just over a week. I am now at a fork in the road...... namely BATTERY ISOLATION and how to go about it.

There appears to be three separate ways to deal with this issue.

1) Essentially do nothing, let the pop up charge while driving, and unplug the Bargman connector electrically when stopped.

2) Install a mechanical solenoid between the car battery and camper battery, when stopped the solenoid will disconnect the two batteries.

3) Install a diode isolator bar, expensive and have a 0.300volt drop through the entire car and camper system. Will the Ody tolerate a voltage drop ?

What is everybody doing as it relates to this issue? I know the Ody has a 12v 130amp alternator, but is it a field sensing alternator??

Thanks,

Tippy

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've actually got a similar question.

There are some events I work a couple times a year where it would be useful to run some equipment off of a second battery (perhaps even a deep-cycle battery) in the car, but have it charge when the car is running.

What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Also, does anyone know what the DC power outlets in the Ody are rated for? (amps)

Thanks!

------------------
'01 DEP EX in Fairview Park, Ohio
Click here for pics.

[This message has been edited by perlguy9 (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Check out this site for a dual battery isolator/controller: http://www.painlessperformance.com/battery.htm
Or, this site: http://www.surepower.com/isolators.html

I'm running dual batteries in my '94 Chevy K1500; I ordered it with what Chevy called the "camper package" which included a factory-installed auxiliary battery. The wiring from it was a joke, however; about 16 gauge wiring. I rewired it with heavy-duty cables and an isolator, then installed an auxiliary fuse block on the underside of the steering column. Works great. I wish Honda offered a factory dual battery setup for the Odyssey!

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; splash guards; cargo tray; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

[This message has been edited by groupset (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coleman Mesa

I have a 2002 Odyssey and would like to purchase an 02 Coleman Mesa...how has your Odyssey been pulling the Mesa? Any suggestions?

THanks - Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts