Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently bought a 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring w/ Navi, DVD player, etc. So my problem is I guess it never crossed my mind to check the DVD player to see if it worked. I took it home 2-3 day later took the kids out played a movie & all I get is "focus error" on the screen. How can I come about on fixing that?? Last resort is dealership.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Something you can try, and it is something i do regularly with my car audio equipment, and have recently done it on the optical drive on my apply laptop. the lens of the laser becomes dirty and needs to be cleaned. Once you have the dvd drive out of the vehicle. you will have to remove the top of the main chasis to gain access to the laser( its a small glass piece about a 1/4" in diameter.. A gentle swab using a un-used, dry q-tip is usually all you need to do. then re-assemble the unit, re-install it in your Odyssey and test it out.
I've done this on old cd players when they struggle to read scratched cd's, or skip while driving. My Macbook Pro dvd drive stopped reading, giving an error code similar to what you are getting from your vans dvd drive. I swabbed the drive and its been working perfect since( i had dropped it off to a computer repair place to see what was wrong as i was unsuccessful at reloading the operating system. The shop wanted to charge me $650 for a new dvd drive. I gasped, told them I'll be by to pick up the laptop and think about things.. needless to say, my laptop didn't need the dvd drive, just a q-tip.
best of luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts