Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - Thanks to this site, I've gotten an extra year out of our '03 Ody EX-L RES DVD player using the battery disconnect trick. However, it has finally died.

The problem is, after a day or so, the rear (right hand side) of the main radio automatically switches to DVD and gives an ERR message (manual says "mechanical jam" -- it appears something broke in the player itself - I've had it out and opened it up but didn't find anything). Once this happens, neither the rear -OR- front portions of the radio can be switched, which means if you were listening to the radio before this happens, the front side stays on radio (through the front speakers only), and the rear side is on DVD ERR. Neither side can be switched, nor do the power buttons work. I have to disconnect the battery, re-enter the code, then the radio works again (radio / CD / Tape) both front and rear, until a few days later when the system figures our the DVD is broken, and gives the DVD ERR message again. At no time did I ever select DVD, the rear just swtiches to it after a few days after resetting.

I can live without the DVD player, but the loss of the remaining radio functions is maddening to my wife and I.

If I just completely unplug the DVD player from the harness at the bottom of the center console, will the rest of the radio / CD / Tape / Aux work continuously? If I could get to that point, I would just use the AUX inputs for the rare times we wanted to watch a DVD (long trips).

If not, does anyone recommend a replacement DVD player, or a *whole replacement* system that will still use the main center screen in the van? I don't mind replacing the main radio, but I don't really want to run any new wires or cut into any headliners.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I'd try a salvage yard for a replacement Honda DVD player. Or you can try ebay. There is currently a remanufactured DVD player for an 03 for $233.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts