Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with kids under 9, how many DVDs do you have for your kids? All of our collection is on VHS tapes and I am wondering why Honda did not offer the factory installed option for VHS as well. Has anyone out there installed a VHS system and if so (please provide details) has anyone added onto (in addition to) the DVD system. We are so close to laying down the deposit but the engineer in me is coming out in terms of looking at the value of the options and what media will the kids be watching 5 - 8 years from now since we buy and hold our autos. Thanks and Cheers

[This message has been edited by ODY_DataSeek (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Registered
368 Posts
We put in our own flip down tv, purchasing the Jensen 6.8" unit at ubid for $272.00, got a Sony 12 v. vcp off ebay for $108, also a rf modulator for $30.00, and an antenna from owdonald.com for $50.00. Installed myself using instructions from h and a site, took about four hours. System works pretty good, also t.v. works pretty good, especially in major metro areas. The jensen flip down is installed just forward of the middle seats on the ceiling. The VCP is just sitting on the floor, under the passenger seat, facing towards the rear (we primarily use vcp for long road trips only). Both the Jensen unit and the Sony VCP are mono, but doesn't really seem to impact sound quality since sound plays through both sides of vehicle's audio system. I intend to install a Sony PS2 (under drivers seat) with a power inverter so the kids can play games and also so I can play dvd's in the car (I'll just unplug the audio and video output from the vcp and plug them into the PS2). Also planning on doing the Vidoenavi conversion soon. All of these mods will be a lot cheaper than the ives system. I'm very happy with the system overall so far.

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Zaino'd

·
Registered
205 Posts
If money is not the major issue and you are debating between the factory-installed DVD RES and the iVES, I would recommend paying the $1500 for the RES, then buy a mobile VCP for $100 or so and you have the best of both worlds, including a warranty on the RES. If you buy the iVES you will probably pay at least $1500 when you include installation.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had this same dilemma back before we bought our '02. At that point in time we believed Honda was going to a DVD ONLY entertainment center and didn't realize that they were going to continue to offer the VHS version as a dealer installed option. If you're dead set on VHS, get the EX-L-RES (DVD entertainment center) and bolt a VHS under one of the seats, or get an EX or EX-L, have the dealer install the iVES (VHS entertainment center), and bolt a PS2 or XBOX under one of the seats.

I, however, am now very glad that we have the DVD system. It’s so much cleaner compared to the cobbled on iVES system, the discs are smaller to carry around, are less susceptible to problems such as heat, and have lots of extra features such as additional movies, shorts, etc. I still am not sure what we will be doing with our library of children’s VHS tapes (30+), but we have purchased a few of the most popular, enduring ones on DVD and are now only going to buy DVD from here out. One day we hope to even own a DVD player in our home
, but for now we can suffer the two formats.

For an old discussion similar to this, as well as some possibilities for converting VHS to DVD, see: http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000030.html

------------------
  • ’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
  • ’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend

TNUCKELS

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same dilema; lots of VHS tape (the entire kids collection), plus my own stuff. I would echo the sentiments so far, the RES is such a clean install, and in the rear left panel are video and audio inputs, so you have the option of installing a vcp (they make them pretty small now!), and power it with an inverter. I just hope they don't decide on a better format than DVD, and introduce it in a few years, after I get a sizable collection going! Whatever way you go, I think you'll be satisfied with the results, go with whats best for you.

------------------
2002 SS-EX-L-RES

·
Registered
354 Posts
I let this same senmtiment lead me to buying the cassette player. I hardly use it, and for the price, I could have bought about 10 more CD's. My recommendation is to get the RES, and spend the extra money on new DVD's, instead of additional electronics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just picked up my ODY with DVD. Go for the DVD. I'm the mother to 3 kids under 3 and I believe in the long run in the car the DVD is much better (ex. storage, rewind, etc.) You can use tapes at home. Also, if you do not have a DVD in your home...go get one ASAP. More and more DVD for kids are hitting the market each day.

ODYSSEY 2002

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought the '02 RES and added a VCR. Works perfectly-can easily view both. I bought an Alpine VCR-has a infrared "eye" with about a 10 foot cord. I mounted it down by the fuse panel and put the VCR under the driver side 2nd row seat-totally invisible. All the wiring is hidden very easily under the carpet and trim and we can control the VCR 3ways, with the buttons, with the remote aimed at the VCR, and while driving with the remote aimed at the "eye".
Most of the VCR's or VCP's have this remote eye capability and most are less than the Alpine unit.

------------------
2002 MB EXL-RES, (4) Pioneer TSA-1695s, mud flaps, Weathertech cargo mats, nose mask, Alpine VCR into RES, foglights, extra headsets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We are getting a EX-L NAVI in 2 weeks and we had the same dilemma. Because of the Navigation system, we couldn't get the factory installed DVD. So the dealer is going to install the iVES. We have many more VHS tapes than DVDs, but any new movies we buy are always in the DVD format. For my husband's birthday I bought him a portable DVD that we can use with any TV in the house, cars, planes, etc. I made sure that I can plug it into the iVES and use the same display. We are driving from MN to TX the week before X-mas and now our 4 kids (ages 3-9) can watch the old favorites on VHS plus any newer movies on DVD. Hopefully we won't have to listen to "don't touch me", fighting, etc. during the long trip!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got a 9" portable TV/VCR combo for $180.
It fits right behind the front center console
on the floor. Had to build a little wooden stand for it to get angle adjustment.
This is all it takes to keep the kids happy
on long trips.
$1500 for the optional DVD did not seem worth it to me. I have more brains than money!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I wonder (since I already own a CD burner)if you could play movies in the DVD system off of a CD that had a movie transferred to it. Any thoughts since the HP device allows you to place your movies onto either type of media...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Have no experience with either of these but just to let you know...

ADS USB Instant DVD

HP DVD-RW
</font>

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ODY_DataSeek:
Thanks! I wonder (since I already own a CD burner)if you could play movies in the DVD system off of a CD that had a movie transferred to it. Any thoughts since the HP device allows you to place your movies onto either type of media...

</font>
If you burned a regular CD as a 'VCD' you can play it both in computers and in most DVD players. The picture quality is good but not as good as DVDs

You could also burn them as SVCDs (or Super VCDs). It's quality is very close to DVD quality.

For more info go to: www.vcdhelp.com

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would recommend the DVD - DVD is the new trend - VHS is phasing out according to some of the stereo mags.

The picture is nicer and the sound quality is clearer.

Mom does her Christmas shopping and the kids stay in the van with me to watch DVD's

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same dilema. We chose to get the DVD system, it is well worth it. I then just picked up a $60 standard VCR and threw it under the driver's side second row seat and connected it to a AC/DC inverter to the 12V output in the rear of the Odyssey and connected the audio/video signals through the auxillary inputs that are accessible from the compartment on the drivers side near the back of the van. Works great - so for another $100 about I was able to add VHS/VCR capability as well.

Chip

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Response to: I bought the '02 RES and added a VCR. Works perfectly-can easily view both. I bought an Alpine VCR-has a infrared "eye" with about a 10 foot cord. I mounted it down by the fuse panel and put the VCR under the driver side 2nd row seat-totally invisible. All the wiring is hidden very easily under the carpet and trim and we can control the VCR 3ways, with the buttons, with the remote aimed at the VCR, and while driving with the remote aimed at the "eye".
Most of the VCR's or VCP's have this remote eye capability and most are less than the Alpine unit

Great idea - How did you physically tie into the DVD system? Did you run the cable/cord from the VHS unit back to the inputs on the DVD system near the rear of the van?

[This message has been edited by ODY_DataSeek (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by clinthic:
I had the same dilema. We chose to get the DVD system, it is well worth it. I then just picked up a $60 standard VCR and threw it under the driver's side second row seat and connected it to a AC/DC inverter to the 12V output in the rear of the Odyssey and connected the audio/video signals through the auxillary inputs that are accessible from the compartment on the drivers side near the back of the van. Works great - so for another $100 about I was able to add VHS/VCR capability as well. -Chip</font>
The inverter would also work pretty well for say a play station/Nintendo, etc. wouldn't it? Were you able to hide the cables for the VCR and the inverter? Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like the idea of adding my own VCR to the factory RES system, better than "settling" for the ives or other aftermarket VHS system. Everyone needs to realize, the factory RES system with the DVD is hardwired and integrated very nicely with the head unit. The ives and other aftermarket systems broadcast the audio to the stereo via a self-generated radio signal. I heard a demonstration of the difference between the two, and as far as audio signal quality, there was no comparison.

Of course, I don't actually have my 02 RES van yet, these observations are based on seeing a friend's ives versus a factory RES system demonstrated at the dealership. Mine should be in "any day"...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Originally posted by ODY_DataSeek:
Response to: I bought the '02 RES and added a VCR. Works perfectly-can easily view both. I bought an Alpine VCR-has a infrared "eye" with about a 10 foot cord. I mounted it down by the fuse panel and put the VCR under the driver side 2nd row seat-totally invisible. All the wiring is hidden very easily under the carpet and trim and we can control the VCR 3ways, with the buttons, with the remote aimed at the VCR, and while driving with the remote aimed at the "eye".
Most of the VCR's or VCP's have this remote eye capability and most are less than the Alpine unit

Great idea - How did you physically tie into the DVD system? Did you run the cable/cord from the VHS unit back to the inputs on the DVD system near the rear of the van?

All of the wiring from the VCR as far as power and remote eye is run under the carpet and into the fuse panel. As far as the Audio/Video out from the VCR, I also ran it under the carpet, along the door trim at the floor and to the rear console. From there I went under the 3rd row mat and up into the rear console where the jacks are. Eventually, I will pull the entire rear panel and tap into the A/V input lines so the entire system is hidden. Others have had this done by stero shops, but I dont think anyones tackled it alone yet. Then every single wire will be hidden, Ill have both DVD and VHS and can still use the remote inputs for a playstation or whatever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ODY_DataSeek:
The inverter would also work pretty well for say a play station/Nintendo, etc. wouldn't it? Were you able to hide the cables for the VCR and the inverter? Thanks </font>
Yes depending on what size inverter you get you could run whatever you want off of it. I just happened to already have an inverter sitting in the shop that I tried to use and it worked fine (not even sure what the wattage is on it). I haven't bothered to hide the wires too much yet. The inverter just plugs in at the rear cig lighter output and sits under the back seat, the AC power cord and 3 RCA plugs (red,white,yellow) that go to the AUX inputs just run under the floor mat to the rear of the 2nd row seat (driver's side) where I put a Magnavox el-cheapo standard VCR.
There is a picture of the VCR under the seat here:
http://cx1113904-a.chnd1.az.home.com:8080/odyssey/images/VCR_under_Kates_Seat.jpg Here is where the AUX input cables plug in: http://cx1113904-a.chnd1.az.home.com:8080/odyssey/images/Rear_extra_inputs.jpg If you look at this picture under the left side of the rear seat you can see where the inverter is just sitting under the seat (with velcro keeping
it from sliding around) http://cx1113904-a.chnd1.az.home.com:8080/odyssey/images/Backend_with_Seat_up.jpg (sorry the pictures are big I haven't resized them smaller yet)

Also someone else asked this but if you hook up an external VCR this way the audio signal is broadcast through the head unit just like a DVD signal in that it will go through both the full normal speakers of the van or to the wireless headsets.

Chip

1 - 20 of 20 Posts