Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a double post, but my other post reminded me of something I've been needing to look into.

Do the e-brake cable in these vans need to adjusted over time? It's been a long time since I have had to do it to any car I've owned, but I do remember such an adjustment.

The reason I'm asking is because recebtly, it seems like the e-brake isn't engaging all the way. I have to really crank it down to make sure it engages.

For instance, my drive way is on a slight angle. When we park the van, we always use the e-brake so it's not resting on the Park gear.

But recently, when we park it (and put the e-brake on), it rolls back a bit when we finally take our foot off the brakes (and rests on the Park gear).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
40 Posts

With the rear wheels off the ground, tighten the nut (A) until light drag on rear brakes. Then loosen in half turn increments until it locks with 4-6 clicks.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
You can take one rear wheel off at a time and adjust the park brake assuming you don't have access to a lift to get both rear wheels off the ground. It is a shoes inside the disc set up. With the wheel off, you will see a rubber plug on the rotor hat. Use a screw driver to pop it out and spin the hole to approx the 6 o'clock spot. Look for the adjuster wheel inside and spin it till the rotor locks up, turn the adjuster back the opposite way 6-8 clicks till rotor spins without dragging. Repeat other side.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be working on the front brakes this weekend. I'll include this work and will give it a shot. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
dbbyleo,

For a minor adjustment to the parking brake, following this procedure:

1) Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations.

2) Tighten the adjusting nut (7) until the parking brake drags slightly when the rear wheels are turned:

*diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved

3) Back off the adjusting nut in half-turn increments, and check for proper adjustment at a pedal force of 294 N (66 lbs.).

For a major adjustment (as it's humorously called) of the parking brake shoes, follow this procedure:

1) Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations.

2) Remove the rear wheels.

3) Release the parking brake, and back off the adjusting nut (A).

4) Remove the access plug (A).

5) Turn the adjuster (B) with a flat-tip screwdriver (C) until the shoes lock against the drum. Then back off ten clicks, and install the access plug.

**Shown here: Remove the access plug (A). Turn the adjuster (B) with a flat-tip screwdriver (C) until the shoes lock against the drum. Then back off ten clicks, and install the access plug**

6) Do the minor adjustment procedure.

7) Install the rear wheels.

Hope this helps you out a bit buddy :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts