Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of this? My husband caught the extreme tail end of the news that indicated the price of Hondas will either go up, or an extra charge will be tacked onto MSRP. Has anyone else heard of this? We are in the market for a new Ody and are wondering if we should pull the trigger now. Thanks so much!

·
Banned
728 Posts
Has anyone heard of this? My husband caught the extreme tail end of the news that indicated the price of Hondas will either go up, or an extra charge will be tacked onto MSRP. Has anyone else heard of this? We are in the market for a new Ody and are wondering if we should pull the trigger now. Thanks so much!
The vehicle is made in the USA but no doubt some parts are manufactured in Japan. If one of those parts is out of stock, shipments will be delayed. My advice: if you are in the market for a van in the next few months and you can, buy now. If supplies become constrained, you'll pay more later. Now if you want to laugh at me, I'd buy right away to avoid the inclusion of Japan produced radioactive parts in my van. I really feel sorry for the Japanese people right now.

·
Registered
687 Posts
According to Inside Line, no production issues with the Odyssey, just the Fit.

Toyota and Honda Continue Production Halt Due to Supply Issues Following Quake

Honda said in a statement that it has extended a production shutdown in Japan until at least March 27. The shutdown affects two auto plants and one motorcycle plant. Honda said it decided to extend the shutdown after "considering the current situation of the nationwide recovery efforts in Japan and the supply of parts from our suppliers."

Honda told Inside Line on Tuesday that the Honda Fit is the "only volume vehicle that we import from Japan to the U.S."

"Everything else is either low-volume (Acura TSX, Acura RL, Honda Insight) or supplemental (a very small amount of CR-Vs and the hybrid version of the Civic)," wrote Edward K. Miller, Honda North America senior manager of news media and industry relations in response to an e-mailed query from
Inside Line. "All the high-volume vehicles sold in North America are made here, and our NA plants continue to meet their production schedules. Parts are flowing."

Honda stopped exporting the Accord to the U.S. in 2009. It does not import engines to the U.S. Miller pointed out that the largest Honda engine plant in the world is in Anna, Ohio.
Honda's Lincoln, Alabama facility builds all of its own engines for the Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot and Honda Ridgeline.

;)

·
Banned
728 Posts
According to Inside Line, no production issues with the Odyssey, just the Fit.

Toyota and Honda Continue Production Halt Due to Supply Issues Following Quake

Honda said in a statement that it has extended a production shutdown in Japan until at least March 27. The shutdown affects two auto plants and one motorcycle plant. Honda said it decided to extend the shutdown after "considering the current situation of the nationwide recovery efforts in Japan and the supply of parts from our suppliers."

Honda told Inside Line on Tuesday that the Honda Fit is the "only volume vehicle that we import from Japan to the U.S."

"Everything else is either low-volume (Acura TSX, Acura RL, Honda Insight) or supplemental (a very small amount of CR-Vs and the hybrid version of the Civic)," wrote Edward K. Miller, Honda North America senior manager of news media and industry relations in response to an e-mailed query from
Inside Line. "All the high-volume vehicles sold in North America are made here, and our NA plants continue to meet their production schedules. Parts are flowing."

Honda stopped exporting the Accord to the U.S. in 2009. It does not import engines to the U.S. Miller pointed out that the largest Honda engine plant in the world is in Anna, Ohio.
Honda's Lincoln, Alabama facility builds all of its own engines for the Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot and Honda Ridgeline.

;)
On the other hand, Canada's business paper, "The Globe and Mail" had the following head line in today's paper:

"Japan's disaster squeezes Honda's Ontario Plant".

Included in the storey: "Honda has also cancelled an overtime shift at a plant in Alabama ..."

That is where the Odyssey is built isn't it? I couldn't find the storey on-line, but it is on page B3 of today's paper. It basically says that all car manufacturers may be affected by a prolonged shut down in Japan as most OEM parts manufacturers get some of their parts from Japanese factories.

It only takes an out of stock on one part to bring production to a stop.

·
Banned
728 Posts
While it is sad to see all the suffering in Japan, it is also sad to see so many cars damaged and destroyed.

Earthquake Severely Damaged Honda Plant in Japan | TopNews New Zealand

:frown:
Why? They are just cars. As soon as Japan is able to rebuild or open their factories, the cars need to replace those destroyed will provide much needed employment and the depressed stock creates a buying opportunity for investors. In addition, I don't see any touring Elites in the picture. :)

On a serious note, I feel very badly for the Japanese people.

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well I guess the lean process of manufacture with the just in time delivery of parts is going to cause lots of problems. Most of these manufacturers hardly make anything now a days, they just assemble them from parts made by other smaller contractors. Just one part that relies on a company from Japan and they could shut down the whole line.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd expect some impact, but it to be more Administrative related than production related.

That is unless you're planning on buying one of the following:

Fit
CR-Z
Insight
Civic Hybrid

Those are the all-Japanses vehicles in the Honda line up.

Things that will likely be affected: electronics.

a great amount of the vehicle electronics are made in Japan (ECU, Navi, sensors etc)

·
Registered
93 Posts
The big Toyota plant near me in Cambridge, Ontario is cutting overtime shifts and weekends due to parts supply temporarily, but not shutting any lines down entirely.

·
Banned
728 Posts
The big Toyota plant near me in Cambridge, Ontario is cutting overtime shifts and weekends due to parts supply temporarily, but not shutting any lines down entirely.
cedaralow (above) doesn't believe you (or the analyst with the Globe and Mail). He thinks thing swill just chug along. I'm waiting for teh Apple iPad 2 to be released in Canada. Some of teh parts (RAM and SSD) are manufactured in Japan and with the factories closed, once the parts stock is used up production will stop. That couldn't happen to Honda could it? Of Course it can! :huh:

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
North American Operations

Honda has confirmed the well-being of all Honda associates on assignment in Japan from North America.

On March 17, certain U.S. news reports inaccurately suggested that Japan-based production of vehicles intended for sale in the United States would be suspended until May. This is not what we communicated. Honda has announced a suspension of Japanese production only through March 27.

There is no immediate impact on Honda's operations in North America. More than 80% of Honda and Acura products sold in the U.S. are produced in North America, and the vast majority of automotive parts for Honda automobiles manufactured in North America are sourced in the region.

Honda's U.S. and Canadian and Mexico Honda plants are continuing normal output of finished vehicles. In addition, we are continuing to monitor the long-term impact of the events in Japan on Honda auto production in North America because some auto parts are supplied from Japan.

The following vehicles we build in North America are supported primarily by our base of 600-plus North American first-tier suppliers:

- Marysville, Ohio Honda Accord, Honda Accord Coupe, Acura TL, Acura RDX

- East Liberty, Ohio Honda CR-V, Honda Element, Honda Accord Crosstour

- Greensburg, Ind. Honda Civic Sedan, Honda Civic GX natural gas

- Lincoln, Alabama Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot, Honda Ridgeline

- Alliston, Ontario Honda Civic (Sedan, Coupe, Si) Acura MDX, Acura ZDX, Acura CSX (The CSX is sold only in Canada)

- El Salto, Mexico Honda CR-V

We currently have adequate inventory of products supplied from Japan.

Honda Fit, Insight, CR-Z, Civic Hybrid, Acura TSX and Acura RL are produced in Japan for the North American market. Honda produces a small percentage of CR-Vs in Japan for the U.S. as well.

Honda's operations in North America and globally will do everything they can to support the recovery of Honda's operations in Japan.

Honda News, Update # 6: Earthquake Impact on Honda Operations

·
Banned
728 Posts
North American Operations

Honda has confirmed the well-being of all Honda associates on assignment in Japan from North America.

On March 17, certain U.S. news reports inaccurately suggested that Japan-based production of vehicles intended for sale in the United States would be suspended until May. This is not what we communicated. Honda has announced a suspension of Japanese production only through March 27.

There is no immediate impact on Honda's operations in North America. More than 80% of Honda and Acura products sold in the U.S. are produced in North America, and the vast majority of automotive parts for Honda automobiles manufactured in North America are sourced in the region.

Honda's U.S. and Canadian and Mexico Honda plants are continuing normal output of finished vehicles. In addition, we are continuing to monitor the long-term impact of the events in Japan on Honda auto production in North America because some auto parts are supplied from Japan.

The following vehicles we build in North America are supported primarily by our base of 600-plus North American first-tier suppliers:

- Marysville, Ohio Honda Accord, Honda Accord Coupe, Acura TL, Acura RDX

- East Liberty, Ohio Honda CR-V, Honda Element, Honda Accord Crosstour

- Greensburg, Ind. Honda Civic Sedan, Honda Civic GX natural gas

- Lincoln, Alabama Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot, Honda Ridgeline

- Alliston, Ontario Honda Civic (Sedan, Coupe, Si) Acura MDX, Acura ZDX, Acura CSX (The CSX is sold only in Canada)

- El Salto, Mexico Honda CR-V

We currently have adequate inventory of products supplied from Japan.

Honda Fit, Insight, CR-Z, Civic Hybrid, Acura TSX and Acura RL are produced in Japan for the North American market. Honda produces a small percentage of CR-Vs in Japan for the U.S. as well.

Honda's operations in North America and globally will do everything they can to support the recovery of Honda's operations in Japan.

Honda News, Update # 6: Earthquake Impact on Honda Operations
The following is relevant:

"In addition, we are continuing to monitor the long-term impact of the events in Japan on Honda auto production in North America because some auto parts are supplied from Japan"

and

"vehicles we build in North America are supported primarily by our base of 600-plus North American first-tier suppliers"

So they are monitoring the long term impact and primary sully of parts is from North American suppliers.

This is not at odds with the analysts reports posted above. There is likely to be some disruption, but they don't know to what extent yet. Honda is no different than the government, they don't want to alarm or panic investors over inevitable reduction in out put and profits just as the government doesn't want to panic the Japanese people over radiation in the food supply. They can say what they want but I wouldn't be drinking the tap water or eating local vegetables, no matter what they say.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Actually, the news this morning said several Toyota plants will now be shut down completely, temporarily until parts supply is in place, although they didnt state which plants. My neighbour is nervous because he works in the Cambridge facility.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's because they have the Absolute trim level instead.

http://www.honda.co.jp/ODYSSEY/pdf/odyssey_catalog_type.pdf

Honda�bƒIƒfƒbƒZƒC�bƒ^ƒCƒv�E‰¿Ši

And 4WD is available! Why don't we get a 4WD option in North America?

:rollingeyes:
One should note, the Japanese 'Odyssey' isn't the same thing we get here in North America at all. The Japanese 'Odyssey' is the size of the 1st generation US Odyssey. That being, significantly smaller than the current giant that is the 4th generation.

The North American Ody was refered to as 'LaGreat' in other markets. I think the StepWGN is the closestt thing to a US Odyssey now, but it's still a good 10 inches shorter and narrower, but 6" taller than what we get.

cedaralow (above) doesn't believe you (or the analyst with the Globe and Mail). He thinks thing swill just chug along. I'm waiting for teh Apple iPad 2 to be released in Canada. Some of teh parts (RAM and SSD) are manufactured in Japan and with the factories closed, once the parts stock is used up production will stop. That couldn't happen to Honda could it? Of Course it can! :huh:

It's not that I don't believe reports of factories dropping shifts or the earthquake having an impact on the companies.

My point is more to that fact that in particular, all Odyssey production and most of its parts are made in the US, and therefore the earthquake should not have a significant impact on current production. particularly since even though lean manufacturing works on 'just in time' production, most automotive companies (including Toyota) use a form of kanban to control part inventory.

As for impacting the production here in the form of dropped shifts... of course a company in Japan that has been affected by a large catostrophe and is on uncertain grounds of its administrative and office functions, is going to reduce things within its control to help alleviate potential issues. It makes logical sense that if you produce X vehicles in say... 1 weeks time using 3 shifts... you would then produce X vehicles in 1.5 weeks time using 2 shifts... or 3 weeks time using 1 shift. They're looking to make sure the impact of the potential parts strain is minimized.

If you were in the market for any of the vehicles I mentioned, which are primarily made in Japan, obviously the earthquake and it's effects will grossly impact production since all production is likely halted.

·
Banned
728 Posts
One should note, the Japanese 'Odyssey' isn't the same thing we get here in North America at all. The Japanese 'Odyssey' is the size of the 1st generation US Odyssey. That being, significantly smaller than the current giant that is the 4th generation.

The North American Ody was refered to as 'LaGreat' in other markets. I think the StepWGN is the closestt thing to a US Odyssey now, but it's still a good 10 inches shorter and narrower, but 6" taller than what we get.

It's not that I don't believe reports of factories dropping shifts or the earthquake having an impact on the companies.

My point is more to that fact that in particular, all Odyssey production and most of its parts are made in the US, and therefore the earthquake should not have a significant impact on current production. particularly since even though lean manufacturing works on 'just in time' production, most automotive companies (including Toyota) use a form of kanban to control part inventory.

As for impacting the production here in the form of dropped shifts... of course a company in Japan that has been affected by a large catostrophe and is on uncertain grounds of its administrative and office functions, is going to reduce things within its control to help alleviate potential issues. It makes logical sense that if you produce X vehicles in say... 1 weeks time using 3 shifts... you would then produce X vehicles in 1.5 weeks time using 2 shifts... or 3 weeks time using 1 shift. They're looking to make sure the impact of the potential parts strain is minimized.

If you were in the market for any of the vehicles I mentioned, which are primarily made in Japan, obviously the earthquake and it's effects will grossly impact production since all production is likely halted.
And my point was that if even one part in the Odyssey that is made in Japan is unavailable, production on the van will stop. Of course, there is less of a chance of that happening if only 2 or 3 parts come from Japan (I don't know how many Japanese made parts are in the Odyssey), but nonetheless, if it happens and production is shut down, those people looking for popular models might have to wait and/or pay higher prices until the supply resumes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
And my point was that if even one part in the Odyssey that is made in Japan is unavailable, production on the van will stop. Of course, there is less of a chance of that happening if only 2 or 3 parts come from Japan (I don't know how many Japanese made parts are in the Odyssey), but nonetheless, if it happens and production is shut down, those people looking for popular models might have to wait and/or pay higher prices until the supply resumes.
I'd have to think that a company as well versed in supply chain management as Honda or Toyota would be able to locate a secondary source for parts that are made in Japan prior to running out of their supply.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
It will be a good test for Honda, as along with other manufacturers like GM, they use the just-in-time production system.

Some latest news:

Late on Friday, Honda Motor Co (7267.T) said its North American auto plants would continue normal production through April 1, but that there could be some "temporary interruptions" until parts supply issues were resolved.

Reuters

And about Honda's Production system:

3. Delivery

Honda employs the just-in-time production system.

In order to respond quickly to our customer's needs, it is becoming more and more critical to produce products with the shortest possible lead-time. Suppliers are expected to have a reliable and flexible production system, which can respond in a relatively short leadtime, and can be synchronized with our assembly lines. Suppliers will also benefit from just-in-time production system.

Just-in-time production reduces inventories, eliminates waste, and also improves production efficiency. Adopting just-in-time lean production will raise supplier's competitiveness in cost and quality.

Honda Supply Team

Special Report: Disasters show flaws in just-in-time production | Reuters

1 - 20 of 65 Posts