Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many threads on this and seen many contraptions. I changed the fluid a few weeks ago and used my fluid transfer tool. They are about $20 and make transferring the fluid from each bottle into the tranny a snap. I use it for other manual tranny changes.

Here it is: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200008074_200008074

·
Registered
369 Posts
That wont work on Honda's tranny's. I've tried it on my Accord and could barely get 1qt out. Just pull the plug and drop the ATF just like the engine oil, and you're done.

Refilling the Ody is done thru a large port, and a simple funnel and hose works great. The pump would be a pain if you have to put the hose in each bottle and suck it out...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Audi did not sell the A3 in the States during MY 2005. MY 2006 was first.

Was there really a Golf TDI here in 2000?

I see he has a Honday Odyssey, too.

Did this OP previously live overseas, perhaps?

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Optical TDI said:
.....I changed the fluid a few weeks ago and used my fluid transfer tool. They are about $20 and make transferring the fluid from each bottle into the tranny a snap......
Just asking, but why isn't an ordinary funnel good enough for your 2005? Setting up the hoses (one from bottle to pump, one from pump to fill port) seems to be more work than just pouring it in.
Optical TDI said:
....I use it for other manual tranny changes....
Do you mean manual transmissions, or "manual" changing of ATF (versus a flush machine, which you don't want to use on a Honda A/T).

OF

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, heavy words here guys...just a suggestion that works and was trying to be helpful.

Setting up the hoses is very simple.

I do mean manual trannys as in a clutch, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and a pressure plate. It has worked on the RX8, the 996, and the Wrangler.

I've had several cars in the past 5 years, so maybe my A3 was a 2006...only had it 6 months so my memory may be slipping on the actual year. And yes the TDI was a VW option for the Golf for MY 2000. It got 50 mpg on the freeway.

Yes this fluid transfer tool does work on the 2005 Odyssey as I did in fact use it.

Choose to believe me or not...it's up to the masses here. Again just trying to help the technically challenged folks on this board. I always appreciate suggestions from other forums that I visit as well as this one.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Slow it down a little, brother. This is the line that confused me:
Optical TDI said:
....I use it for other manual tranny changes....
When you said you used it for "other" manual tranny changes, being that of course the Ody has an auto A/T, my first thought was you meant something else regarding the process of getting the job done.

Not a dig, just wondering what you meant, since I have a pump similar to that. Useful for 4x4 transfer cases, and any gearbox (crane, tractor, boat) that needs to be side-filled or filled from the bottom up (like an outboard). Just wanted to know if it was worth breaking it out as opposed to just using a funnel.

OF

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have that same pump, came really handy when I did my mom's transfer case and rear differential on her Highlander. Am going to do the tranny oil change @ 36K am about to hit 25K by the end of the year, will have the van for 4 years now in Nov.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just recently completed the tranny drain / fill / drive X3 with help from everyone on the forum and used a clear rubber hose that fit very snugly over the outside of the tube where you put the dipstick. The other end fit over a cheap funnel and I could pour an entire quart of tranny fluid in about 10 seconds. Used a torque wrench on the drain plug after the second drain - I was way overtightening the drain plug. I'm sure that I have been doing the same overtightening the oil drain plug as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts