Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my ebay foglight kit in the mail the other day (yes, I know it's not an OEM kit) and as I suspected, it didn't come with instructions. I searched and the threads that came up were somewhat old and don't address my exact question. Studying the wiring I think I have a pretty good idea how to wire it up. The only exception is one connector that I have no idea what it does or where it's supposed to connect to. It's the brown connector in the following picture. Inside of it, it's a single wire with a blade connector. Sorry for the cellphone pictures.
Interior/dash harness :

Closer shot of the connector:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Could it be the 'signal' line? I don't know what the exact 'term' is for that..but I see a 'black' and a 'red' wire...so there must be another wire that 'tells' the lights to turn on / off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just installed a non-oem fog light kit in my 99 civic. The plug you show is the signal wire for the relay, it plugs in above the fuse panel on the civic. Remove the kick panels and look for a single blade style connector.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know. Theoretically then, I can splice that into an ignition source so that I can use the fogs as DRLs. Nice!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I remember correctly you have to cut off the brown connector and wire it to your corner signal light, once wired when you turn on your driving lights it gives power to the foglight switch to power on the fogs, the brown plug can not be plugged into the left fuse box location there is not space for the plug the oem plug is different than that brown plug I had the same problem with the aftermarket one hope this helps, one quick question does you foglight switch fit in the oem honda foglight switch location.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After getting the fogs in July. I finally got them installed a few weelks ago. The brown plug is for the power to the switch, which in turn is connected to the relay that actually turns on the fogs. I used a couple of splice connectors and a foot or two of 16gauge wire and spliced the brown connector to the positive at the accessory/lighter outlet. As long as I leave the switch on, the fogs come on when I start the van.

As for the fitment of the switch in the dash. All I have to say is that it can be improved. The finish of the plastic doesn't match the OEM finish of the TCS/cruise switch. The lighting is way too bright and off colour in comparison to all the dash lights. Worst of all is the switch didn't fit nicely. It was just a pubic hair or few too big for the dash opening. It fit in the opening, but it was so tight, it would stick if pressed in. I had to take a grinding tool to it to shave it down a bit so that the switch would work properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
fog lights

Hey I just recently bought the same fog light. I don't have instructions myself. Can you ggive me the wiring instructions in which made you installation a success? Also, my kit has 2 harnesses, 1 has a relay & fuse with wiring to the lights & the the other is the switch for the dash board. Can you confirm that that is all I need in terms of wiring?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything you need should be in the kit. The only thing I added was that extra bit if wire to extend the signal wire to the accessory outlet at the center console. I only did that because I wasn't comfortable tapping into anything under the dash or near the fuse box. The accessory outlet was the only source that I could think of that I felt was "safe" to use.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Everything you need should be in the kit. The only thing I added was that extra bit if wire to extend the signal wire to the accessory outlet at the center console. I only did that because I wasn't comfortable tapping into anything under the dash or near the fuse box. The accessory outlet was the only source that I could think of that I felt was "safe" to use.
That was probably smart. I installed non-OEM fog lights from eBay to a Civic and it was a nightmare. The interior button had a light that was way too bright and hot, and started melting the wires and plastic. There was also a slow electric pull that drained my battery several times.

I replaced the button with an OEM one ($46!) and it seemed to solve the problem. But after all that, the lights were more for show and didn't do much in the fog or in inclement weather. I learned my lesson, though and have since avoided non-OEM parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts