Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First post. I used search and found very similar issues with others but never on a brand new van. See below . . .

I just bought a new 2012 Touring Elite over the weekend with 2 miles on it. During the test drive I noticed a "shutter" or "judder" one time when shifting between 2nd and 3rd, but didn't notice it again until after we brought it home.

Now that we've had the car a few days, I can say that it shutters consistently when shifting under moderate acceleration, most often between 2nd and 3rd, but can also happen between 1st and 2nd. There are no warning lights associated. The shutter is strong enough for the passenger to notice it, but it's not horrible. The RPMs "bounce" while it is happening. I don't notice this at all under very light or very heavy acceleration; only moderate acceleration causes the issue. I've read horror stories online about the transmission going bad very early with similar symptoms, but with under 100 miles on the car, it must be something different, right? Is this a known issue? I have an appointment at the dealer this weekend for them to check it out. I'm pretty confident I can replicate the problem for them on a test drive since it happens maybe 75% of the time, but I'm worried that nothing will be done about it.

2nd issue is that there is a definite deep vibration, like a lugging engine feeling and sound, when the ECO light goes from on to off at highway speed. Can this be rear motor mount related, on a car with under 100 miles? Anything else that could cause this on a brand new car? Is it just "normal" for the VCM?

These two issues are ruining my love affair with this van. Thank you in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a new ody owner as well (08 EX-L) and I can speak about your Issue#2. I can feel the ECM kicking on and off as well. Feels kind of like the transmission shifting but no RPM jumps/drops. I cant help noticing it so not sure how others do not feel it. Maybe it differs from person to person on how sensitive they are to these kinds of things.

I checked around with a couple of other fellas I know have an ody with VCM and they claim it is normal VCM operation. one of my buddies had bought a new 06 ody and he says the VCM operates that way from the time he just bought it. So my 2c is that this is normal VCM operation and just needs getting used to.

Issue#1 may just be that the transmission has not adapted yet to your driving style. I know most of the auto transmissions get better after a few 1000 mi of driving. It needs some time to learn your driving style. You have what 4 years of bumper to bumper warranty..you have nothing to worry about atleast for this period. But I feel this is just normal operation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I asked the dealer if the transmission needed "broken in" and he said no, but after a few hundred miles, I do think the feeling is getting less severe, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. We have the appointment for them to look it over tomorrow morning, and I'm curious what they'll say, because I can now reproduce the shifting issue essentially every time (as well as the ECO vibration, but I think that's probably normal as you said). The RPMs bounce a few hundred RPM and and van rocks a little bit during a typical 2-3 shift. If I'm light on the throttle it won't do it. And if I drag race it, it also shifts fine. We'll see. I'll update on here with whatever they tell me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer felt the shift problem immediately during our ride-along. They couldn't do anything about it since it was a Saturday, so we brought it back in today for them to call the regional Honda guys to see what they want to do about it.

They said the ECO mode vibration was normal (but he agreed that it's annoying). He said it's an issue with the electronic engine mounts not acting correctly when the engine goes from 6 to 4 or 3 cylinders. But that begs the question . . . when did something "not acting correctly" start to be considered "normal"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update . . . the dealer rode with us in another brand new 2012 Touring Elite, and it had the same shift problem as ours has, maybe even worse. He called the regional Honda rep, who said that they have had numerous complaints of the same issue, and they are working on a fix (it sounds like they think it's a software issue). They want us to bring our van back in to record the problem as they are still collecting data. Hopefully a fix will be released soon . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts