Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a muzzler back in May and the thing works great. Now that it's cold out the light comes on at part throttle cruise as it did prior to installing it. What should I look into? 15 exl 94k.

Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
If passive muzzler, that's what you get for getting a cheaper muzzler. You have to adjust it as the weather changes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's one from aperture tech Guitar accessory Motor vehicle Font Musical instrument accessory Signage

If passive muzzler, that's what you get for getting a cheaper muzzler. You have to adjust it as the weather changes.
It's not a passive unit. It's automatic and doesn't require module changes. The company said with the cold weather I may need to reposition it to be away from the cold air. It doesn't activate until it reaches a certain temp. So if it's in the stream of cold air it can affect it.

Attachments

Registered
2016 Touring Elite
Looks like they use a PTC thermistor that must be placed/held against the engine to help it 'read' the temp of the engine and change the resistance it applies. It is technically passive since it doesn't use an external power supply, but it is automatically variable in some way.

-Charlie

Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
Yeah...this is why I'd never recommend something other than the big 5 of muzzlers.

Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
It's an interesting idea, trying to approximate the engine coolant's temperature from the outside of the engine and then use that to modify the signal from ECT1. Way too broad a range of variables involved to work consistently, I think. When the unit is sensitive to its relative position in the engine bay, that's a recipe for confusion.

I can see how this thing might feel like some sort of middle ground between a VCMuzzler II and an S-VCM controller, for example. I can also see how it can mess with people when the design parameters are really pretty easy to exceed.

Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
I was a little confused when I first read this thread. The passive muzzlers (MaxMuzzler or VCMuzzlerII) tend to show the ECO light on when it's HOT, not cold, outside, since the resistance isn't strong enough in the heat. In the cold, the passive resistors tend to trip a check engine light for coolant temperature sensor if the resistance is too high.

Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
I was a little confused when I first read this thread. The passive muzzlers (MaxMuzzler or VCMuzzlerII) tend to show the ECO light on when it's HOT, not cold, outside, since the resistance isn't strong enough in the heat. In the cold, the passive resistors tend to trip a check engine light for coolant temperature sensor if the resistance is too high.
In this case since it's reading the cold air temperature, it's likely decreasing resistance since not as much is needed when the temperature is lower, so the ECO light is able to come on.

Reactions: dvpatel

Registered
What did Click & Clack say? "It's the stingy man who pays the most"
Of course I have one with a dial because I was cheap. (Well poor at the time)
I also don't know what cold is. As a Californian, snow is something we go to, not live in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts