Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
925 Posts
Don't fret over getting the 'best' if you don't want to. Even getting VCM mostly disabled keeps the plugs and rings from getting plugged/gummed/fouled and keeps the motor happy.

-Charlie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is what I bought. It comes with a variable resistor.

Is this correct for a 2013 Ody or is there another version?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
468 Posts
This is what I bought. It comes with a variable resistor.

Is this correct for a 2013 Ody or is there another version?

It should be correct. There is one connector plug for 2005-2006 models, and another for all 2007+ models.

·
Registered
355 Posts
82k and never Muzzled, I would consider checking your sparkplugs very closely and likely replacing while you're at it. OEM from the dealer or RockAuto only (LOTS of counterfeit plugs out there, watch out!). And you might want to run SeaFoam, Techtron, whatever in the next few tanks to try and burn out any junk sitting on your pistons, etc. If you really want to get into it you could do a piston soak to be sure...

As time goes on I think we'll see a lot more of this generation Odyssey up for sale in the mid to higher mileage range that are burning oil and likely have un-diagnosed VCM damage, and people will be popping up here trying to figure out how to deal with it; and at the point it's likely too late. I'm sure some well maintained examples will be generally "okay," but I'm not willing to take that risk with our investment.

And what gas mileage you might get Muzzled may surprise you, on the highway we actually get better mileage Muzzled than we do un-Muzzled. Around town it's hard to know for sure, I suspect our mileage has decreased in the start/stop situations with the Muzzle but I could care less as our '16 EXL still gets a lot better mileage than our '03 EXL did regardless! ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
82k and never Muzzled, I would consider checking your sparkplugs very closely and likely replacing while you're at it. OEM from the dealer or RockAuto only (LOTS of counterfeit plugs out there, watch out!). And you might want to run SeaFoam, Techtron, whatever in the next few tanks to try and burn out any junk sitting on your pistons, etc. If you really want to get into it you could do a piston soak to be sure...

As time goes on I think we'll see a lot more of this generation Odyssey up for sale in the mid to higher mileage range that are burning oil and likely have un-diagnosed VCM damage, and people will be popping up here trying to figure out how to deal with it; and at the point it's likely too late. I'm sure some well maintained examples will be generally "okay," but I'm not willing to take that risk with our investment.

And what gas mileage you might get Muzzled may surprise you, on the highway we actually get better mileage Muzzled than we do un-Muzzled. Around town it's hard to know for sure, I suspect our mileage has decreased in the start/stop situations with the Muzzle but I could care less as our '16 EXL still gets a lot better mileage than our '03 EXL did regardless! ;)

Good luck!
I like the Seafoam/techtron idea. I will do that too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, it is possible to have no problems with non-muzzled VCM Odysseys. It is also possible to have 2nd generation Odysseys without transmission problems. Our first Odyssey was a 1999 EX, had no transmission problems, did go through a few motor mounts though, it did get rattly after being rear ended while stopped at a crosswalk, then rear ended while parked and unoccupied in a lot, sold the van with 230,000 miles. Our second van was a 2006 EX-L that was going strong and rattle free and met its untimely demise at 235,000 miles when rear ended on the freeway (we did have to replace the very expensive active motor mounts a few times).

After being van free (empty nesters) for a year we bought our second hand 2015 EX-L with around 40K miles and muzzled it the first month of ownership. Yes, there is a hit on MPG, but the engine seems to perform more powerfully, and hopefully this will decrease wear and tear on the active motor mounts and also stave off engine woes. I realize that not all non-muzzled vans are destined to engine problems, but I think that the purchase price of the Muzzling device (whichever one you choose) is insignificant relative to the cost of motor mounts or engine repairs.

Just my 2 cents worth. Many think I have no sense at all ;).

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
468 Posts
Yes, it is possible to have no problems with non-muzzled VCM Odysseys. It is also possible to have 2nd generation Odysseys without transmission problems. Our first Odyssey was a 1999 EX, had no transmission problems, did go through a few motor mounts though, it did get rattly after being rear ended while stopped at a crosswalk, then rear ended while parked and unoccupied in a lot, sold the van with 230,000 miles. Our second van was a 2006 EX-L that was going strong and rattle free and met its untimely demise at 235,000 miles when rear ended on the freeway (we did have to replace the very expensive active motor mounts a few times).

After being van free (empty nesters) for a year we bought our second hand 2015 EX-L with around 40K miles and muzzled it the first month of ownership. Yes, there is a hit on MPG, but the engine seems to perform more powerfully, and hopefully this will decrease wear and tear on the active motor mounts and also stave off engine woes. I realize that not all non-muzzled vans are destined to engine problems, but I think that the purchase price of the Muzzling device (whichever one you choose) is insignificant relative to the cost of motor mounts or engine repairs.

Just my 2 cents worth. Many think I have no sense at all ;).
It seems like a lot of people have minimal oil burning problems on the 2005-2007 Odysseys with VCM-1. Most of the oil burning, fouled spark plugs, and worn piston ring complaints have been on the VCM-2 models on 2008+ models. As you noted, though, the VCM system stresses the motor mounts which are pricey to replace. I was reluctant to buy a 2008-2010 EX-L model for this reason.

You did extremely well with the transmission on the 99... it really seems that there is no rhyme or reason why some people need a new transmission every 40-50K miles and others can get over 200K on those 4 speeds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It seems like a lot of people have minimal oil burning problems on the 2005-2007 Odysseys with VCM-1. Most of the oil burning, fouled spark plugs, and worn piston ring complaints have been on the VCM-2 models on 2008+ models. As you noted, though, the VCM system stresses the motor mounts which are pricey to replace. I was reluctant to buy a 2008-2010 EX-L model for this reason.

You did extremely well with the transmission on the 99... it really seems that there is no rhyme or reason why some people need a new transmission every 40-50K miles and others can get over 200K on those 4 speeds.
it really seems that there is no rhyme or reason why some people need a new transmission
built on a Monday or a Friday...
🙃

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jiantao— very true regarding the randomness of reliability—out neighbor also had a ‘99 Odyssey and had transmissions replaced at 23,000 and 75,000 miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm at approx 60k on my '16.

So the idea to to mash the pedal not give ECO a chance to come one?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I installed the S-VCM Controller a couple years back on my 2014 and have never seen the ECO light again - no tweaking required. I also installed an on/off switch in case I needed to take it to the dealer and didn't want them questioning it - but never have turned it off and they've never noticed.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
468 Posts
I'm at approx 60k on my '16.

So the idea to to mash the pedal not give ECO a chance to come one?
The VCM usually gets activated while coasting. Even if you mash the pedal, I assume you'll end up at coasting speed at some point.

·
Registered
347 Posts
On the VCM-2 models, which is what you have, the complaints about fouled plugs and misfires start rolling in around 70K miles, sometimes earlier. Some people are lucky and the problem never gets bad enough for them to notice, but the problem is still there. The system is not flawless on ANYBODY's VCM-2 Odyssey even if they don't notice a problem.

If you are going to sell the van after the warranty expires, doesn't matter. If you plan on keeping it long term, disable the VCM.
I disagree that it doesn't matter. It matters to the person who buys it.

I like to think of the other gut as well as my own selfish self. Warning - don't buy anything frrom this guy. Don't lend him your tools or your car, either!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L Res Nav
2 Posts
After buying my used 2008 Honda Odyssey in July 2020, I registered with this forum, and the first piece of advice I read was with the VCM. I did not like the feeling of the ECO coming on while coasting to a stoplight and when it turned green before I came to a complete stop, stepping on the gas, my Honda just was not responsive enough. I ended up revving it to get out of ECO mode. That's when I decided to just go with the VCM Tuner II for $120, It came in about a week, installed relatively easy, and ECO mode has no longer appeared. My Honda is much more responsive like it should be, as I step on the gas the Honda will go and not sit there deciding should it move faster or not. I have noticed a hit on my gas mileage, a drop of 20 miles on each fill-up. My last oil change was in July and I currently have 80% oil. I am very happy with my VCM Tuner II, even with the 20 miles hit on each fillup, I have a much more responsive Honda with good pedal-power sync, no more revving up just for it to go faster to get out of ECO mode!

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
468 Posts
I disagree that it doesn't matter. It matters to the person who buys it.

I like to think of the other gut as well as my own selfish self. Warning - don't buy anything frrom this guy. Don't lend him your tools or your car, either!
It will be a used car. The car was designed with VCM. By not disabling it, you are letting the engine perform as designed. It's not a previous owner's job to correct a design flaw or be proactive on maintenance. At the moment of sale, if the engine works, it works. Nobody is hiding anything or lying about anything. The buyer also has an obligation to do due diligence on the vehicle they are buying.

Most car buyers have no idea what they're buying. I have a feeling that the future buyer of my Odyssey, when I sell it in 10 years, might question why I felt the need to suppress a system that Honda engineers implemented. Am I going to go off on a tangent about CAFE standards and emissions taxes and spark plugs and cylinder banks and piston rings? Maybe. Or, it might be easier for me to unplug the Muzzler and sell the car as it came from the factory.

I worry about selling a used car to someone like you in working condition, and then get blamed when something goes wrong with it. I didn't lie and say I changed the ATF every 5K miles when I didn't. It's also won't be my job to tell the next owner that the timing belt ought to be replaced at 200K. That's up to the buyer to decide for himself whether he wants to replace it or not.

Reactions: scubacamper

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
468 Posts
After buying my used 2008 Honda Odyssey in July 2020, I registered with this forum, and the first piece of advice I read was with the VCM. I did not like the feeling of the ECO coming on while coasting to a stoplight and when it turned green before I came to a complete stop, stepping on the gas, my Honda just was not responsive enough. I ended up revving it to get out of ECO mode. That's when I decided to just go with the VCM Tuner II for $120, It came in about a week, installed relatively easy, and ECO mode has no longer appeared. My Honda is much more responsive like it should be, as I step on the gas the Honda will go and not sit there deciding should it move faster or not. I have noticed a hit on my gas mileage, a drop of 20 miles on each fill-up. My last oil change was in July and I currently have 80% oil. I am very happy with my VCM Tuner II, even with the 20 miles hit on each fillup, I have a much more responsive Honda with good pedal-power sync, no more revving up just for it to go faster to get out of ECO mode!
Your results seem consistent with most people's, about a 1mpg drop with VCM disabled. The additional gas cost of no VCM will not come anywhere close to an engine rebuild if you had left the VCM functioning normally.

How many miles do you have? I would suggest changing out your spark plugs since VCM wears them out rather quickly. They are easy to replace on this car.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L Res Nav
2 Posts
Your results seem consistent with most people's, about a 1mpg drop with VCM disabled. The additional gas cost of no VCM will not come anywhere close to an engine rebuild if you had left the VCM functioning normally.

How many miles do you have? I would suggest changing out your spark plugs since VCM wears them out rather quickly. They are easy to replace on this car.

Thanks for the advice! I'll change the spark plugs. I bought it with 174k it now has a little over 176k on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed the S-VCM Controller a couple years back on my 2014 and have never seen the ECO light again - no tweaking required. I also installed an on/off switch in case I needed to take it to the dealer and didn't want them questioning it - but never have turned it off and they've never noticed.
I also installed the S-VCM several years ago on my 08 EX-L and it performed flawlessly--until yesterday. On 650 mile trip the ECO light came on randomly for most of the trip. Didn't seem to make sense why it came on sometimes when descending gentle hills and other times not. I may contact the seller to see if they have any thoughts. If not, I'll probably replace with the VCM-II.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are there any warning signs to distinguish if VCM is causing damage vs doesn't seem to be bothering my vehicle?

Have a 2013 EX-L with 113k, had it since 100k. Timing belt service was recently performed including new spark plugs.
No known engine issues including oil loss. Everything seems really smooth.

Also, what is the relationship between the ECO light and the VCM causing damage that everyone seems so emphatic about?

Feel free to link to other threads and not retype info that may already be out there.
Thanks

21 - 40 of 75 Posts