Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I've done a little reading. Seems like no one at all flashes the newer V6 ecus. Only option I found was maybe we could get the AEM FI/C to work. Some of the TL and Accord forums have posts about using this with some success. Appearantly fuel tuning is pretty easy but ignition tuning is very tricky. Hondata advertises a flash for some TLs but it took them years to come out with so I'm assuming they're a no go. I've read about a couple other options that seem to have come and gone due to general sketchiness. Can anyone offer any other options besides a full standalone? Could we write our own flash and use the Honda diagnostic tool to load it in to our ecus? Will a Honda tech please comment on this?

·
Registered
934 Posts
AEM FI/C will allow fuel tuning yes but timing control is pretty crappy.
You can now utilize the new AEM Infinity ECU can control the van with great success and power results.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Oooh - so what does the AEM Infinity ECU do exactly? Sounds interesting. Are we talking 4th gen vans?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
You can now utilize the new AEM Infinity ECU can control the van with great success and power results.[/QUOTE]

The AEM equipment is not street legal.
Jerry O.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Oooh - so what does the AEM Infinity ECU do exactly? Sounds interesting. Are we talking 4th gen vans?
It is a replacement ECU that can control timing, ignition, fuel, ivtec, provide launch control, and more.

You can now utilize the new AEM Infinity ECU can control the van with great success and power results.
The AEM equipment is not street legal.
Jerry O.[/QUOTE]

Original poster is in Arkansas not California so statement does not apply. Also you can tune the AEM to comply with CA regulations if needed however on that note if one is pondering engine management, they really do not care about CA Legality anyway.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It is a replacement ECU that can control timing, ignition, fuel, ivtec, provide launch control, and more.
Has anyone experimented with using it to disable, or modify, VCM (variable cylinder management)?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I failed to notice the location of the O.P. That said, emission controls have been developed to reduce air pollution and should not be defeated by those "who do not care." In our state, we see that sort of thing done to diesel pickups, which leave great clouds of soot at every stoplight. Disgusting!
Jerry O.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Has anyone experimented with using it to disable, or modify, VCM (variable cylinder management)?
Yes, The Ivtec (aka VCM) is fully customizable (there is a tolerance for "safely" engaging the VCM) in the tuner interface. You can throttle it up so high that it would never activate the IVTEC or you can tune it to be safe with I-VTEC (via datalogging parameters and matching them to OE thresholds). Remember this is a fully customizable ECU we're talking about so the tuner (whomever programs the unit for you) has complete control over the entire engine and function. The downside? There is no premade "plug and play" harness so it has to be built by someone who knows what they are doing. There are very few people I know that actually can take full advantage of this ECU and the one that I trust to tune my setup on this ECU charges (here in california) about $200/hour with a ballpark expectation of about 2 hours to fully tune (minor adjustments for your own driving style are free once tuning session is completed).
I failed to notice the location of the O.P. That said, emission controls have been developed to reduce air pollution and should not be defeated by those "who do not care." In our state, we see that sort of thing done to diesel pickups, which leave great clouds of soot at every stoplight. Disgusting!
Jerry O.
Not a problem man, my reply may have come off a bit harsh so my apologies if the reply caused a bit of teeth grinding. Did you know......a vehicle can be tuned to produce more power than factory and run just as clean or close to it without emitting huge clouds of smoke. I'd have never beleived it either.... check out this video of a 455hp 90-93 accord powered honda insight.
Notice that there is no huge clouds of smoke, except from the tires as it might rip off the line lol.......this insight is utilizing the 90-93 Accord 4 cylinder engine, heavily modified for race use. I only use this example to show you that even if a motor is modified, if done properly will not smoke and leave you in a cloud.

Also to add to that statement you make of "...which leave great clouds of soot at every stoplight..." actually has a name to it. It is called "Rolling coal" if you want to look it up and is actually now considered a form of "bullying' on the road which will warrant a ticket in most states. Those trucks are actually modified to run richer in order to spew huge clouds of unburned fuel into the air...... (read; improperly setup and improperly programmed diesel).

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yes, The Ivtec (aka VCM) is fully customizable (there is a tolerance for "safely" engaging the VCM) in the tuner interface.
Thanks, very interesting.

It is called "Rolling coal" if you want to look it up and is actually now considered a form of "bullying' on the road which will warrant a ticket in most states.
I've not only seen that done many times, but have had it done to me on one occasion. Gotta admit, it's very effective!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
The diesel situation is VERY common in our area, due to the number of scoff-law folks who grow marijuana in these parts. It is simply another way in which they spit in the face of society.

I have no problem with those who are able to tune an engine for more power if they can do it within the legal parameters. It is those who tune only for power with no regard for emission standards that bother me. In our part of the state, one never has to have a smog test until the vehicle is sold, so we may as well be in Arkansas. Some, however, have been surprised to learn that the highway patrol has knowledge of who has bought "off-road" items for their vehicles and will investigate as to whether they have the items installed, when in the process of a routine traffic stop for some other reason. One of my friends had just such an experience when stopped. "The Man" checked to be sure he had not installed the off-road ratio Dana rear axle he had purchased in his Camaro.
JerryO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I knew about the Infinity but not all its capabilities. Very informative. I believe its over kill for me at the moment but, who knows, I could hit the lotto next week. Lol. Also, I'd be tuning for milage. Im sure a little extra power would come with that and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The diesel situation is VERY common in our area, due to the number of scoff-law folks who grow marijuana in these parts. It is simply another way in which they spit in the face of society.

I have no problem with those who are able to tune an engine for more power if they can do it within the legal parameters. It is those who tune only for power with no regard for emission standards that bother me. In our part of the state, one never has to have a smog test until the vehicle is sold, so we may as well be in Arkansas. Some, however, have been surprised to learn that the highway patrol has knowledge of who has bought "off-road" items for their vehicles and will investigate as to whether they have the items installed, when in the process of a routine traffic stop for some other reason. One of my friends had just such an experience when stopped. "The Man" checked to be sure he had not installed the off-road ratio Dana rear axle he had purchased in his Camaro.
JerryO.
DAng man, what part of NorCal you in? I'm down here in SoCal. haha I see the occasional cloud blower here and there but mostly just Semi-trucks hauling containers or tow trucks.....I see MAYBE 1-2 F150 diesel trucks blowing clouds every...1~2 months?

Thanks for all the replies. I knew about the Infinity but not all its capabilities. Very informative. I believe its over kill for me at the moment but, who knows, I could hit the lotto next week. Lol. Also, I'd be tuning for milage. Im sure a little extra power would come with that and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.
Hey Wrongminded. Yes it is fairly known ECM solution now but comes with a pricetag haha, another caveat? You need to fabricate the engine harness for it since it is not a plug and play unit. =\ and about the Lotto thing...I make it a point to play powerball and a scratcher every....other week or month hahaha, just in the event of. LOL
You could tune for mileage however from what i've seen on dyno you can only lean it up a bit before we start to get dangerous....and the only known tuner for this unit charges about $200/hr with a average session of about 2 hours haha. You'd see a little more power from a true short ram intake or airbox mod with some highflow cats put on or a good tuneup to be honest. For a daily driver the AEM unit is FAR overkill hahahah
TSM_Pikachu, do you have any info on flashing our ecu?
As far as reflash on our stock ecu, I do not know of any. Hondata has a flashpro product for J-series engines but they are pretty specific in regards to ECU part # so I am unsure how it would faire in our particular ECU.
However they do offer the reflash for v6 in Auto trans configuration which is astounding; so perhaps it may work? FlashPro 07-08 Acura TL
FlashPro International Accord but it would have to be confirmed and for research purposes that is a bit of a pricetag hahaha

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I am from the north coast, where we have lots of those smokers, many of which are in the care of our scofflaw weed growers, who are ruining our environment in many other ways.
Jerry O.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I don't recommend them but you can get a vtec tuner to kick the vtec in sooner....
Depending on dyno plot VTEC could be engaged lower or higher. Also on the J35a7 if you activate vtec, half the motor shuts down....so you'd end up with a power loss.
J35A6 engines would notice bogging in low end if VTEC is engaged lower, the sound would be cool but a dip in power would be visible on the dyno as the motor responds to VTEC on this engine by operating all intake valves during operation.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
how do you know?
Depending on dyno plot VTEC could be engaged lower or higher. Also on the J35a7 if you activate vtec, half the motor shuts down....so you'd end up with a power loss.
J35A6 engines would notice bogging in low end if VTEC is engaged lower, the sound would be cool but a dip in power would be visible on the dyno as the motor responds to VTEC on this engine by operating all intake valves during operation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the terms vtec and vcm might be confused in the above posts. Vcm is variable cylinder management. The j35a7 in the EX-L and Touring models has vcm. It shuts off half the engine basicly while cruising. It also has iVTEC which is kind of like the old style vtec but better. Vtec and iVTEC work similarly by operating more or less valves at different engine speeds. The main differance as i understand it is vtec was meant more for top end and iVTEC is meant more for everywhere in the powerband and fuel economy.

·
Registered
934 Posts
how do you know?
How do i know?
Because i've built a few engines down here in SoCal over the past years and studied the systems as well as also built the plug in harness and used it on the AEM Infinity mounted into a 05 EX-L Odyssey. I've also had a lot of people talk to me about lowering or increasing the VTEC activation point and then tried such theories on the dyno to find that if you engage too low, you see a dip in power (Which then comes up but it takes a few hundred rpm to see it start to rise from the dip). To much surprise if you raise the VTEC activation (after performing minor mods) you can actually notice a steady rise in power over the entire rpm range (little to no dip at all).
I've also built SOHC VTEC Engines from 94-02 Accords and am familiar with their VTEC system..also worked on and around DOHC VTEC Engines and have torn down the J35a6 and J35a7 (Engines changes and mild work). I also own a 05 EX-L which has VCM.
The iVTEC system in the J35a7 when activated causes the rear cylinder head to have all valves closed and fuel is also cut but only at operational temps. The J35a7 also has a dual stage intake manifold which can be independantly actuated via the Infinity too. These variables affect power curve since they affect air intake at different ranges under load and it is something you can see ona dynograph.
The J35a6 is a SOHC VTEC model which I haven't worked a lot with but from opening a couple of them up it seems to use the VTEC-E method where it opens one intake valve for normal cruising and then if demand is called for, it activates the VTEC system which then locks the rockers and actuates both intake valves (Both exhaust valves operate full time). I've also noticed on these motors there is no dual stage intake manifold.
I also have a baseline dynograph of a stock odyssey coming soon, as well as a dynograph of the same vehicle with Rv6 PCD kit alongside a Rv6 J-pipe, attached to a x-pipe and out to true dual exhaust. To add on top of that mix, i managed to also purchase one of the few intakes specifically made for the 05-07 Odyssey from Fujita before they went out of business.
Next up on the list will also be compiling my parts for a manual conversion on the van.

I think the terms vtec and vcm might be confused in the above posts. Vcm is variable cylinder management. The j35a7 in the EX-L and Touring models has vcm. It shuts off half the engine basicly while cruising. It also has iVTEC which is kind of like the old style vtec but better. Vtec and iVTEC work similarly by operating more or less valves at different engine speeds. The main differance as i understand it is vtec was meant more for top end and iVTEC is meant more for everywhere in the powerband and fuel economy.
Yep, but importantly to note that you can kinda/sorta easily discern between the two. Even when selecting parts such as mounts on this van since some places go by engine code only, some by model/year/trim and some to confirm (Second way to verify) is that some parts are labeled for iVTEC or VTEC model. I know this one too because my parts guy always asks this of me every time I order. The iVTEC on this van was meant to provide a increase in MPG at highway or cruising speeds with little to no load (Translated: Level ground, no uphills) and then allow 6 cylinder operation when extra power is needed. However the reality is that some or most people have had some type of issue with the VCM system that either fails to operate or causes rough operation when activated. The other caveat to the VCM system is that mounts are about double the price which doesnt help things much.
The VTEC model was meant to provide in-town cruising with decent performance and idle quality with improved top end performance by allowing additional air at upper rpm speeds. NOTE: If you take off your intake tube you can actually hear the VTEC activate and deactive, you would hear a audible hiss when VTEC turns on for the J35a6 models and for the J35a7 models you would need to upgrade exhaust piping or upgrade the intake.... for those who upgrade exhaust, you'd hear a somewhat type of offset drone when the ivtec (VCM) activates and then you'd hear a more audible steady hum when driving on all six cylinders. I can shoot a clip if you would like of such hum vs drone.
Actually I just remembered, you can hear it here in unmuffled glory so you can discern the drone, you can hear it pretty clear from 0:34~0:36 when the VCM takes over

1 - 20 of 30 Posts