Honda Odyssey Forum banner

edit: tapping noise resolved from top of engine (was tensioner)

1751 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  John Clark
UPDATE: the issue appears to be a noisy accessory belt/serpentine belt tensioner.

Summary of fix: I could not find the noise using my stethoscope, and although the issues "appears" to have been a noisy accessory belt tensioner, I never thought the noise was coming from that side of the engine because it sounded like it was coming from the intake manifold or injector area on top of the engine. Getting back to the story, I pulled the serpentine belt and ran the engine, and the noise was pretty much gone. Fearing it was only temporarily gone and that the real problem was the timing belt tensioner, I pulled the covers off to view the timing belt tensioner in action. The timing belt tensioner appeared to be fully functional and made little noise, if any, and the timing belt itself ran very smoothly, so I decided to not install a new timing belt tensioner. Where I got really fortunate was that I had a NEW accessory belt tensioner in my garage because the one I ordered for my last timing belt job in 2019 was defective. During this timing belt job in 2019, when I identified the defective accessory belt tensioner within a week or two of install, I requested a warranty replacement from RockAuto, but while waiting I went ahead and bought a replacement from AutoZone so I could get the van running ASAP. When the new tensioner came in from RockAuto, I kept it in the garage - it was a Gates tensioner, and the AutoZone one I purchased I believe was Duralast. Since I now had the van on jack stands and the accessory belt tensioner already removed, I went ahead and installed the new Gates tensioner, putting the AutoZone tensioner on the shelf for emergenies since it was just noisy but otherwise seemd to work fine. After turning the van on the noise has not returned, and I pray it continues as such.

My comment on warranty claims from RockAuto and AutoZone: RockAuto was very user-friendly with warranty returns, and I have since used RockAuto several times with no issues. AutoZone warranties have also been very user-friendly, especially their brakes that allow you to get new brakes when the old ones wear out - I've saved quite a bit of money over the years getting new pads for free. I HAVE had issues with AutoZone parts. For example, I had a bad ignition coil in my Mazda B3000. The AutoZone Duralast ignition coil I installed to fix the bad coil was bad right out of the box, and I proved it to the parts counter person by convincing her to let me install a new coil in their parking lot, which immediately fixed my truck's stumbling and rough running. They marked the new part I bought from them as defective, and this new Duralast part has been running fine ever since.

To everyone below who offered help, thank you!

Original post below ---------

2010 LX. 190k miles. Timing belt last done 12 months ago around 170k. First belt done around 90k. Van running well, 17/21 MPG fully loaded.

Problem: tapping noise, not normally there, I am worried it's a sign of problems. Did valve adjustment last night and noise remains. Seems to be coming from around intake plenum or maybe in the area between the valve covers. Have poked around with a stethoscope and cannot identify source. Removed rear bank top timing belt cover to see if noise would increase (thinking it could be my timing belt adjuster going bad), but noise continues to seem on top of engine. What am I missing, and do you have any ideas?

Story: we came home from a multi-hour trip, and now there's a fast tapping I can't locate. Stethoscope identified noisy valves, so did the valve adjustment last night after new gaskets came in. Several needed adjusting. The valve covers are much quieter now with the stethoscope following the valve adjustment, but this other tapping noise is still present.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
538 Posts
2010 LX. 190k miles. Timing belt last done 12 months ago around 170k. First belt done around 90k. Van running well, 17/21 MPG fully loaded.

Problem: tapping noise, not normally there, I am worried it's a sign of problems. Did valve adjustment last night and noise remains. Seems to be coming from around intake plenum or maybe in the area between the valve covers. Have poked around with a stethoscope and cannot identify source. Removed rear bank top timing belt cover to see if noise would increase (thinking it could be my timing belt adjuster going bad), but noise continues to seem on top of engine. What am I missing, and do you have any ideas?

Story: we came home from a multi-hour trip, and now there's a fast tapping I can't locate. Stethoscope identified noisy valves, so did the valve adjustment last night after new gaskets came in. Several needed adjusting. The valve covers are much quieter now with the stethoscope following the valve adjustment, but this other tapping noise is still present.
I've read some peoples knock sensors going bad or maybe the wiring but, that would throw a code.
Could be that the rocker shaft bridge has excessive clearance from the factory, which causes the rocker shaft to rotate and make noise. The problem sounds serious, but the fix is very simple – loosen and re-torque the rocker shaft bridge bolts. This has also been an issue with some hondas from 2008-2010

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

· Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
2,016 Posts
Just a thought, could it be the timing belt tensioner?

Or, the drive belt tensioner?

· Registered
14,037 Posts
Sounds like the rocker bridge issue or a bad cam. There have been instances of premature cam wear and if you don't carefully inspect the cam you can miss it during a valve adjustment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.