Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has a 2009 Touring which has 164k miles on it and no notable issues. The brakes are soft and the steering has gotten stiff but the powertrain is smooth and reliable. It has served my family very well for 10 years!

We'd like to have CarPlay, be able to watch BD, etc. and the old '09 doesn't even have Bluetooth so we're looking at a new van. I have a 2017 Explorer Limited and am spoiled by its heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and other gadgets so we're looking at a 2020 Elite to have some feature parity.

I read a few complaints about issues with this refresh and went for a test drive today. I drove a brand new 2020 Elite (7mi on it) and it drove well. But the remote start wouldn't work and the key fob lock honk/beep wouldn't work despite the settings all being turned on. We also couldn't get the auto-engine-off at a stop to ever do its thing (which would be a blessing for some based on what I've read). This is on a brand new unit! The salesman was super confused and checked all the settings. The salesman went over and told his manager about all of the issues after the test drive and the manager was unfazed. Seems like it wasn't a surprise to them to have so many glitches.

We didn't even test any of the stuff that I now know have so many unresolved complaints (RES, the cabin camera, etc.). It's shocking that Honda doesn't seem to care or have a fix for these issues. I don't want to spend $44k on a van that may have the infotainment controls lock up (people seriously have to reboot it on the road?!) or maybe the car will try to go into Park while driving (at least that one got recalled). Oh, and who designs a vehicle for a family and doesn't put USB ports in the back row? Or doesn't let the second row seats fold down? Or a doesn't put notch for the USB cable to stick out of the center console? It's like the designers never drove it.

So, am I crazy to think these 2018+ Odysseys are just not ready? Or maybe my expectations just don't align with Honda's expectations. I look at all the comments and rarely see one from a happy buyer... are y'all out there?

At this rate, I don't know what to do... Chryslers' ride hasn't improved in a decade, the Toyota also has poor ratings, Kia seems interesting but outdated. Is there a truly great minivan on the market today? Maybe we're better off squeezing a few more years out of the '09 and hope that the next Ody refresh is a winner.

What do y'all think? Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
322 Posts
100k of the 5th Gen sold and at this board you find all the problems I think you'll be fine

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
I hear there are happy ody owners out there. Never seen one but, like the Easter bunny, there are indications that they exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I only have about 1000 miles on my 2019 Touring but so far I am happy with it. A few things in OP post,

1. Our sales man demo the remote start at the dealer and working flawlessly so far.
2. Auto Idel stop. it only suppose to work if conditions are met. for example, the temperate inside is not warm enough.
I see it all the time during cold start in the morning. it will work after I drive for a few min. ( there is a list of conditions). Battery charge maybe one of them. since car sits for a long time at the dealer.
You can change a setting, that will show message saying auto idel start not available.
3. My RES has been working fine. I am on the latest software. only complain so far, Att hotsopt sometime won't connect. this maybe partly ATT. some areas have spotty coverage.

4. usb port in the back. ( I agree). i thought it was odd that they put the car power port only there.

I do agree 2018+ Odyssey have issues. There is no perfect car. happy owners are not here to complain.
People come and post here only when they have problems (inculding me).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Every vehicle has its drawbacks, and the G5 is no exception. However, to many, it is not earth shattering while others have had nothing but issues. So it all depends on who you ask.

If your G3 is going fine, and the issue is soft brakes and stiffer steering, then change the rotors, calipers, and pads to something more OEM high performance. For the steering, have you done the fluid change? Replacing the pump and rack maybe next, if they are indeed bad.

Honestly, if the van is rust free and inspires confidence, then why give it up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have had 2019 Touring since Sept., overall love it. No issues with remote start or RES (which my kids have used a lot already.) We stuck a power inverter in the third row for USB, it's been fine, my kids aren't used to having a dvd player so they are almost always watching movies anyway. I don't care about seats folding down, I have 2 kids in car seats and 2 kids in boosters and the Magic slide is AMAZING. So easy to get our infant in and our of her car seat and kids in the third row can still easily jump out at school drop off. Also makes it easier for me to grab stuff from back in the third row or clean as needed. Auto idle has been fine- goes off a lot in drive thru, school drop off lines, traffic, etc. Love cabinwatch (easily see rearfacing baby, kids lying about wearing seatbelts, etc.) and cabintalk. I'm not big on vacuming out our car- with 4 kids that's the least of my concerns- but when we went to a drive in a few weeks ago and kids got popcorn all over, it was awesome to be able to vacuum it right up.

I don't like the placement of the vents in the back or the door buttons for the driver but that's really my biggest complaint.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the remote start didn't work and the remote door didn't lock there is another reason for it. Either something was ajar or the remote start was disabled by the system (there are a few events that would prevent the remote start from turning on).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had 2 odysseys and never had a problem. Without researching, I bought a 2019 Elite off the lot since I thought Honda was the most reliable. Within 48 hours all the electric went out. Screen wouldn't go off, back up camera off, no radio, etc. Got online to this site and discovered all the problems. Totally shocked. Took it back to the dealer (along with some grown-up words) and demanded my old car back. They obviously didn't want to take it back and said they would fix it for me. I offered them a deal - if you fix it and it occurs again, you come to my house, pick up the van, drop off a loaner and bring back the van again each time it happens. Guess what they did - they took back the van instead. Obviously they know that it is an issue that will keep happening.

Now I'm in the same situation - what to buy. It won't be a Honda as they clearly know its a problem and aren't addressing it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Chryslers' ride hasn't improved in a decade.
What do y'all think? Thanks in advance for your input!
I'm not sure where you got this information. Perhaps the current Caravan? We have a 2019 Pacifica Hybrid that has a great ride and we love the van.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my 2019 elite. I haven't had a single issue in the almost year I have been driving it. I had a 2011 for 8 years and this one just blows the other out of the water.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've had 2 odysseys and never had a problem. Without researching, I bought a 2019 Elite off the lot since I thought Honda was the most reliable. Within 48 hours all the electric went out. Screen wouldn't go off, back up camera off, no radio, etc. Got online to this site and discovered all the problems. Totally shocked. Took it back to the dealer (along with some grown-up words) and demanded my old car back. They obviously didn't want to take it back and said they would fix it for me. I offered them a deal - if you fix it and it occurs again, you come to my house, pick up the van, drop off a loaner and bring back the van again each time it happens. Guess what they did - they took back the van instead. Obviously they know that it is an issue that will keep happening.

Now I'm in the same situation - what to buy. It won't be a Honda as they clearly know its a problem and aren't addressing it.
Not to be sarcastic, but hope you do your researching on your next purchased. I am not convinced that the dealership was able to just buy the car back; the process is not just easy. What they would have said is, yes we will come and pick the van up, re-flashed the entertainment unit, and sent your way. Funny you created an account to just say this and do not even own the van anymore.

Yet again, you could be some big dog we do not have a clue about and that dealership is petrified of you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got 80k miles on my 2018 EX-L and the only issue I've had was the blower for the rear climate had to be replaced at 32k. It was covered under warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts