Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey EX minivan. The EGR has put up an "Insufficient Flow" code at 27000 miles and now at 37700 miles. Honda fixed it under warranty at 27000 miles. At 37700 miles I had my local mechanic scan the computer and found the "Insufficient EGR flow" code again. He reset the computer and suggested driving the car for a few days to see if it recurred. Three days later the "check engine" light came on again. This required replacing the EGR for $228. The scan cost $35. My mechanic said that the code might recur and if it did that would require removing the intake manifold and cleaning the ports. At this point I discovered the NHTSA web site which said there was a Technical Service Bulletin on this problem. It is TSB 161000, sequence 157 dated 10/00, NHTSA # SB 615781. Three days later the "Check engine" light came on again. I took the car to Honda and they removed the intake manifold and cleaned the ports for $152. I asked about this service bulletin. They denied such a bulletin existed. I called American Honda Headquarters and asked about the TSB. They denied it existed. I went to the NHTSA web site and requested a copy of the TSB. NHTSA will only provide the copy if you agree in advance to pay an open-ended fee based upon a schedule of $25-$35 per hour for their search. I looked in ALLDATA for the TSB, but when you enter information for Honda you get a notice saying they have been requested by Honda to NOT provide Hondas TSB's on their service. They advise you to complain to Honda.

I'm frustrated not to mention stone-walled. I'm not sure this TSB applies to my car VIN 2HKRL1857XH509987. I have the 3.5L VTech engine.

I would very much appreciate any advice anyone can give me on how to get a copy of this TSB. I'd settle for knowing if the TSB covered the problem i'm having and if it applies to my VIN.

Sorry to go on and on but I needed to paint the whole picture

·
Registered
26 Posts
Recently , I have received a letter from Honda company saying that PCV and EGR
warrenty is extended to 8 years / 80 K miles. EGR is getting blocked in some vehicles.
You might want to verify it with your dealer or the mfg.
Good luck

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the same letter and already checked with the dealer. He referred me to his regional office with the assurance that they would "take care of me" in view of this tacit, belated admission of a faulty system by Honda. I'm curious to see their reaction since I spent about $250 with non-Honda garage for my repairs. I was out of warranty (at least as far as I knew then,I was) and saw no reason to pay more than I needed to for whatever repairs were necessary.

I fully expect they will reimburse me for these repairs because in my experience with them, the bottom line on Honda is that they are willing to stand behind their cars. Sometimes it just takes them a little longer to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bigjim:
...I spent about $250 with non-Honda garage for my repairs. I was out of warranty (at least as far as I knew then,I was) and saw no reason to pay more than I needed to for whatever repairs were necessary...</font>
IMHO, the garages that charged you the $250 should have known or checked to see if there was a Honda program for the involved part. My local, regular (non-Honda) mechanic does that for me. He sends me to the dealer for things I can get done better/cheaper there.

Maybe he is spoiling me?

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm having second thoughts about the wisdom of purchasing my Ody. After the crossbar deal and the refusal of Honda to return my calls, and the snottyness of one tech on the Honda tech staff.
My luck with Honda dealers hasn'r been much better. From my experiences, they are no different than the Big 3. On my last oil change, they did not put in the synthetic oil I brought, and underinflated the tires to 30 lbs again. Then I look at the engineering where you have to jack up the engine and remove an engine mount to replace the power steering belt and I wonder.
To be honest-I expected more from Honda.
I am looking for another new car to replace my pickup, and Honda is not on my list of prospects-for now anyhow. I'm not in a hurry and will definitley research the web etc. more thoroughly before I buy this time.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maugham;
Honda just now (November,2001) decided to admit this was a problem and announced a warranty extension. Prior to today, the warranty was 3yr/36k miles. My car was "out of warranty" (at least as far as I knew then - July 2001) when my local mechanic did the work. At that point in time, Honda's procedure in the computer was that the EGR Valve should be replaced.

When this repair failed to solve the problem and the "Service Engine" light came on again. I took the car to Honda even though it was out of warranty. They fixed me and charged me $152. I complained, but they refused to honor it as a warranty problem even though it began at 23K miles and they had seen the car twice and repaired it twice when it was still in warranty.

Later, after I produced a copy of their "Service Engineering Survey" ( an internal Honda document) disclosing that there was a problem, they agreed to refund my $152 but would not consider compensating me for my "outside" work.

I still expect them to do the right thing. We'll see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Call consumer relation number in CA and open a case with them regarding EGR. Ask for case number for your reference and then you can go ahead from there for refund. If you hit the wall then open up the case with Better business ( BBB.org ). They have a hot line for auto related problems. But first give the mfg a chance to look into your matter.
Good Luck

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nmpatel:
Been there, done that. Wrote everything in detail to American Honda in Torrance, CA. Gave them names, dates and photo copies of everything some time ago. After several months they called me to say they weren't going to do anything for me.

I have just today applied for reimbursement from Honda under the new warranty extension program. They said it will take 6 - 8 weeks for it to happen.

I'll wait and see what happens this go round.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts